• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Classic aviar

I have an old big bead aviar that is marked aviar driver on the bottom. So I've always viewed the old big bead as the aviar driver.
I get what you mean now.

Those old ink stamps? I'd have to go look at an old Aviar with a custom stamp and see if it says "driver." There was some marketing back in the 90's of the Aviar that said the big bead was for drives and the small bead was for putting, but the actual grid stamp never said "Driver" on it so I never called it that. I do remember consciously knowing I used them backwards because I drove with small beads and putted with big beads. They definitely did market the big bead as a driver, though.

A friend of mine has been putting with omegas for probably 25 years if not longer and has a huge collection of them, has runs of omegas in the old big bead mold marked omega driver. Probably another reason I've always associated the old big bead mold with the aviar driver moniker.
I had a bunch of those old Omega Drivers. In the early Pro plastic they used to get bits of cardboard or other crap mixed into the plastic which would show in the disc. This was really early, they were like the first Millennium discs we got so it would have been at the very beginning of Innova making anything other than DX. All the Omega Drivers I ever saw were white and they used to show the little specks of crap, so they didn't sell well for me. I had a tendency to buy and throw the stuff that was clogging up my inventory, and I used a lot of those Omega Drivers. All of mine were small bead, though.

Basically the Omega came in three plastics: The Supersofts were called "Putters", the grippy but not floppy (kinda similar feeling to XT now) ones were marketed as "AP" which I think stood for approach and the regular Millennium plastic (think Pro) Omegas were labeled "Drivers." All of them that I had were all from the same mold, though. Small bead Aviars. Same disc, different plastic, different supposed uses.

I just rifled through the Aviar stash, most of them said nothing on the bottom. A couple small beads had "putter" hand written and one big bead had "Big Bead Aviar" hand written on the bottom. I don't have any with the ink stamps and none that say "driver" but I know they were out there.

The Omega AP stamp says "Supergrip Approach" and the Omega Driver says "Short Range Driver/Approach." They were basically marketing the Omega to have you carry three discs when one would do the trick. :p

I get what you mean now.

Those old ink stamps? I'd have to go look at an old Aviar with a custom stamp and see if it says "driver." There was some marketing back in the 90's of the Aviar that said the big bead was for drives and the small bead was for putting, but the actual grid stamp never said "Driver" on it so I never called it that. I do remember consciously knowing I used them backwards because I drove with small beads and putted with big beads. They definitely did market the big bead as a driver, though.

Sometimes hand written and sometimes ink stamps.

I will have to rifle through some bins to find it.

Wasn't one of the prototypes for McPro Aviars, the P&A mold with a big bead?

I always loved that combo.

My understanding is the McPro Aviar is a KC Pro Aviar PandA. I've always heard it was just the regular PandA mold, and I certainly don't remember any beads on the ones I've owned in the past (don't have any now to look at). It's certainly possible they ran some prototypes that were a different mold though.

According to this video, the McPro is the P&A mold with KC type plastic.

Also, the Classic Aviar shown in the video is a great looking disc.

There was a BB McPro test run, but it was a run of a very small number. Like under 100 released small. I want to say it was more like ten or less.

I picked up a couple of Classic Aviars the other day. I was super satisfied with the flight, for now they have kicked the P2 out of my bag. I love the added glide compared to the P2 and the really low fade. I had a tendency to hit the basket low when I was putting with the P2, with the Classic Aviar the putts seemed to go in the middle of the heart of the basket. I really enjoy the feel in the hand as well, stiff yet grippy. Great putter, super underrated

I picked up a couple of Classic Aviars the other day. I was super satisfied with the flight, for now they have kicked the P2 out of my bag. I love the added glide compared to the P2 and the really low fade. I had a tendency to hit the basket low when I was putting with the P2, with the Classic Aviar the putts seemed to go in the middle of the heart of the basket. I really enjoy the feel in the hand as well, stiff yet grippy. Great putter, super underrated

Totally agree about the Classic Aviar. If I were rocking an all-Innova bag, I'd probably be putting with the Classic Avair. Very nice discs. :thmbup:

this is weird but some of my classic aviars have the grid stamp so deep that it's not super comfortable

this is weird but some of my classic aviars have the grid stamp so deep that it's not super comfortable
Are you sure that it's not just you that is weird? :|

I prefer the deep-stamped ones. Hook me up!

Latest posts