• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Judge Torture Test and Review

SteezeOG

Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi
Got the Classic (firm) Judge from Dynamic Discs out for a torture round yesterday and wanted to share.

Had the park all to myself. Just me and the graffiti. No wind.

rsaolc.jpg

As I said in the first look thread the plastic feels a lot like KC Pro but just better to me. More grip to it and as you will see I think a little more durable.

Here's the rim after blasting it into some chains from a few feet away. Those are just scuff marks. Not really even indentions.

2wmgrc5.jpg

Since I've taken my Wizard out of the bag when the Judge came out I've struggled with putting. I couldn't hit anything with the soft Judges and even went back to the wizard a few times just to hit some putts. I finally got a Fuzion dyemax judge last week and was using that until now. It's great for tee shots and upshots but inside the circle putting it's lacking for me. Just doesn't have that firmness I need. These do.

I'm back. I hit everything inside of twenty feet with this putter. It gave me the feel and stability of a soft wizard but a slimmer profile and consistency I've never had before. I didn't miss anything but long putts over thirty feet and most all of those were super close. I just need to put in the work with these judges and it's blue skies.

Hole 3, there is a big stone building for storage at the kids wading pool. I took this chance to blast the judge into the rocks from ten feet at full power.

35jat1c.jpg

I also threw it into a few trees and concrete walls.

2pzfup2.jpg

The pictures I think make the damage look horrible but let me tell you....it's not at all. It basically just scuffed off plastic. No big chunks or gouges. It just rubbed and peeled off in small spindly pieces. Every bit as durable as any other base plastic. More than DX or ProD and quite a bit better than the Test Material that Lat has run in the past.

In talking with an employee at DD he said Lat did three test runs on this plastic before they (DD) were happy with it. The first two being their TM material which everyone knows is too slick. This was turned down by them and the third is what you see here. It's a good thing to be picky. This is NOT the soft or eze or whatever else Lat uses on their putters. He made that clear. It is a blend they had to find by trial and error. I can't think it will be anything but a huge hit and will be run again for them and westside. Either way it's the base plastic for DD now and I'm a fan of it.

Here's the bottom after I stepped on the top of the flight plate and grinded it in to the gravel walk paths with my feet.

2ith7d5.jpg

This made the bottom rim feel even better. I started to enjoy my badly beaten Judge.

The Flight:

Flat profile like the soft but more stable. If you throw a Wizard, Challenger, Aviar, Ion, and probably a bunch more you will not notice any loss of stability in the Judge. It's got all the fade you'd want. These are much more stable than the Classic soft and just a hair less than the Fuzion Judge I am using for a driving putter.

I got really good glide and distance just not as much as the Fuzion.

It really is a flat and slimmer wizard.

I had no warping at all even blasting it into rock buildings. I hadn't planned on being able to bag this putter after doing this to it but it's great. Feels like I've been using it for months. Not a bit of stability loss over the round but I think that has to come naturally I've never really believed you can knock the stability out of a disc this way in just a day. The plastic has to stress some over time.

Not sure what else I can say. It's everything I liked about the Classic Soft and nothing I hated about it. It's in the bag with the Fuzion Dyemax for upshots and driving. I put those two head to head for upshots and teeshots.

The Fuzion just barely winning out because I average about 15 more feet with it over the classic. Just more dome and glide. Tiny bit more stable but I did fine with upshots on the classic. I'll have no problem sticking one in my NutSac bag and using it for all upshots and driving as well as inside the circle.

These are going to be available online Friday at $14.99 for the first run stamps. Production stamps will be made soon and retail at $11.99 which is great news. I have no problems paying that but I didn't want to bag a putter that retails for as much as a premium driver. These won't so I'm good.

If you buy one of these based on my review and absolutely don't like it I'll be happy to trade you. I have a bag full of wizards, a warlock, and an opto pure I'd happily trade for more classic firm judges. Just putting that out there.

Here's what was left after using both the classic and Fuzion judge on a little alternate hole most locals throw for fun. It's from the landing area high on the hill near seven's teepad but throwing down the hill to five's basket at Peter Pan. Maybe 225ft or so. Great for ace runs with your putters. The Fuzion landed closer but let me tell you, the shot I had with the classic just missed being an ace by inches. Loving the consistent lines I get with this putter.

vxi8gx.jpg

Hmmm... Sounds like how the Zero plastic gets marked up just from hitting the chains. Nothing really happens there either.

Do you think this is what the Firm Zero will be like?

Hmmm... Sounds like how the Zero plastic gets marked up just from hitting the chains. Nothing really happens there either.

Do you think this is what the Firm Zero will be like?
it looks worse in pictures. lat zero bruises if you will that is all cosmetic. they will bruise quick and look rough in the beginning but it stops, but they are not dents more like scuffs. lat zero is quite durable if only hitting chains.

I don't know what Lat will do with their base putter plastics. I was just told it wasn't what DD wanted and they didn't like the first two runs which were like the TM1 and TM2 plastics. The strawberry mercys feel like the classic soft to me maybe a little more firm but it's nothing like these. I don't use the zero putters but I know this is more like kc pro than it is to those. I've seen zero line warp up bad from big hits like I put these through.

I don't know what Lat will do with their base putter plastics. I was just told it wasn't what DD wanted and they didn't like the first two runs which were like the TM1 and TM2 plastics. The strawberry mercys feel like the classic soft to me maybe a little more firm but it's nothing like these. I don't use the zero putters but I know this is more like kc pro than it is to those. I've seen zero line warp up bad from big hits like I put these through.

Lat is stopping production on the Eze, which they made from one of the test runs, because they didn't like it, or something. Now they're going to run Firm and Soft Zero, according to their website.

I'd like a few Mercy's for driving in a KCish plastic, if they aren't going to make me an Opto or Gold. Although the Strawberry Mercy I have has stood up to tree hits better than any DX I've used. I think it's what they're making the Soft Zero. It can warp a bit on tree hits, but it's always gone back to normal in a bit for me.

Lat is stopping production on the Eze, which they made from one of the test runs, because they didn't like it, or something. Now they're going to run Firm and Soft Zero, according to their website.

I'd like a few Mercy's for driving in a KCish plastic, if they aren't going to make me an Opto or Gold. Although the Strawberry Mercy I have has stood up to tree hits better than any DX I've used. I think it's what they're making the Soft Zero. It can warp a bit on tree hits, but it's always gone back to normal in a bit for me.

Well then in that case yeah they would probably just use these two blends for their line as long as they like the results. I do and I think most people I've talked to have. The classic soft is good for beginners and people who like that floppy putter. The classic is a firm pro type plastic that their sponsored players and tourney players will like.

If I put a Yeti Pro in my hand and the Classic Judge in the other it's hard to tell the difference by feel except the yeti pro is slick and doesn't slightly give under your finger to give you a little tack. These are like gateway soft but even a lot of my wizards are slick or get slick with wear. I have to wash them to get the tackiness back and it doesn't last. It will be interesting to see if these get slick with age or keep the grip.

Well then in that case yeah they would probably just use these two blends for their line as long as they like the results. I do and I think most people I've talked to have. The classic soft is good for beginners and people who like that floppy putter. The classic is a firm pro type plastic that their sponsored players and tourney players will like.

If I put a Yeti Pro in my hand and the Classic Judge in the other it's hard to tell the difference by feel except the yeti pro is slick and doesn't slightly give under your finger to give you a little tack. These are like gateway soft but even a lot of my wizards are slick or get slick with wear. I have to wash them to get the tackiness back and it doesn't last. It will be interesting to see if these get slick with age or keep the grip.

I like me some floppy putters :thmbup: The current Zero is just the right amount of flop, at least when it's sorta cold out. I recently picked up an Eze and extra Zero Mercy, and the Eze is kinda terrible. The new Zero one feels like my Strawberry did when I first got it, except the new one is a bit of a puddle top. But this Zero starts out ridiculously tacky, almost sticky. Is that how the Classic Softs felt? It wears off after a while, and they're just nice tacky.

I wonder when Lat will put out the Firm?

Classic soft is pretty sticky, I guess that's somewhat accurate. I can't have that or I miss all my putts one foot to the right. Has to release from my fingers immediately when I get to my hit point and open my hand.

Awesome write up!

Thanks for this great info! On Saturday I picked up a 175 Classic Soft Judge myself. I think that I need to find a Classic (firm) Judge as I really like the feel of this putter in my hand. Though, I too, was consistently missing the chains by about 6 inches to a foot right at 30ft and in. (RHBH) It seemed to slightly stick to my hand at release due to its new sticky feeling or its slight floppiness. This thing seems durable as hell and freaking hauls on approaches. Almost seems more accurate with a little more power behind it. Though, I am going to give it some more rounds as my starting putter to see if anything changes.

Thanks for this great info! On Saturday I picked up a 175 Classic Soft Judge myself. I think that I need to find a Classic (firm) Judge as I really like the feel of this putter in my hand. Though, I too, was consistently missing the chains by about 6 inches to a foot right at 30ft and in. (RHBH) It seemed to slightly stick to my hand at release due to its new sticky feeling or its slight floppiness. This thing seems durable as hell and freaking hauls on approaches. Almost seems more accurate with a little more power behind it. Though, I am going to give it some more rounds as my starting putter to see if anything changes.

sounds exactly like the issues I had with the soft. give the classic firm a try when you get a chance.

Remember everyone the gray swirl are mine. Pick another color.

looks good.. i have a buddy using soft judges and i loved the feel of the mold.. but not the plastic.. these may be worth a look.. but last thing i need to do is go changing putters lol ..

Does anyone know where to pick up a firm judge? I'm only finding softs around the interwebs

Does anyone know where to pick up a firm judge? I'm only finding softs around the interwebs

they're on the DD order form that juuuust came out a few days ago. They will be trickling into stores soon enough, 1-2 weeks.

I pre-ordered a bunch of first runs. :D

Latest posts