• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Classic Review lines

I've only seen this a couple times now (Benny, Discgolfcraig), but when a review starts off with "read to the tune of (name of song)" I'm reminded of the rick and morty meme "you son of a bitch, Im in"

Don't spoil the theme of my next review.

I've only seen this a couple times now (Benny, Discgolfcraig), but when a review starts off with "read to the tune of (name of song)" I'm reminded of the rick and morty meme "you son of a bitch, Im in"

(To the tune of "A Horse with No Name," by America. My apologies if it's been done before or if you just don't enjoy it.)

When I first got to the arroyo
I was lookin' for some kind of map
There were benches, a playground, trash cans and things
And a basket by the parking lot

From the tees I had to watch the trails with care,
Watch with a careful eye
There were joggers, bikers, dog walkers
That could be hit from the sky

I've played through the desert
Throwin' discs with no name
It felt good there in the morning time
In the desert you must remember your line
'Cause the bushes and the little trees just grab all the time

La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la
La, la, la, la, la, la

As clever as the review may be, I disagree with the rating given. 3 1/2 is very generous. Besides all the trash and pedestrians, the navigation was a nightmare. :thmbdown:

@ New Hope

I can't be the only one who thinks of Star Wars, Episode IV when they thread that. If properly executed, a Star Wars themed course would be quite entertaining.

Imagine a hole where you have to throw blindfolded, using nothing but The Force to guide you/your disc.

aga

discgolfcraig said:
If you come in here thinking this course is the best in the state or #7 in the world based on some website's goofy algorithm/click bait-ness, you'll likely be a little disappointed.

A loco (intentional) in Fayetteville told me that to check out Diavolo. his quote "it's the 7th best course in the world". I assume he quoted a udisc article, but don't know? what source does that come from?

A loco (intentional) in Fayetteville told me that to check out Diavolo. his quote "it's the 7th best course in the world". I assume he quoted a udisc article, but don't know? what source does that come from?

https://udisc.com/blog/post/worlds-best-disc-golf-courses-2021

I like how calling a course excellent is considered a negative - not directed at you, but the general idea of 'bashing' a course by giving it a 4.0 or Flip City a 4.5. People tend to focus on the idea that (in this case me, but could be anyone's own ratings) I listed it as around the 8 - 12th best in the state rather than the idea it's better than 280 other courses. I guess if a course is in a state's top 4 - 5% is a considered bad, then there is your answer about its quality.

Last edited:
https://udisc.com/blog/post/worlds-best-disc-golf-courses-2021

I like how calling a course excellent is considered a negative - not directed at you, but the general idea of 'bashing' a course by giving it a 4.0 or Flip City a 4.5. People tend to focus on the idea that (in this case me, but could be anyone's own ratings) I listed it as around the 8 - 12th best in the state rather than the idea it's better than 280 other courses. I guess if a course is in a state's top 4 - 5% is a considered bad, then there is your answer about its quality.

Let's try that again, as the 5-minute window locked before I could edit/proofread this:

I like how calling a course excellent instead of elite/The Best is considered a negative. It's not directed at you, but the general idea of 'bashing' a course by only giving it a 4.0, or someone giving Flip City a 4.5. People tend to focus on the idea that (in this case me, but could be anyone's own ratings) I listed Diavolo as around the 8 - 12th best in the state rather than the fact I also rated it better than 280 other courses in the state. I guess if 'only ranking a course in a state's top 4 - 5% is a considered bad, then there is your answer about its quality.

Let's try that again, as the 5-minute window locked before I could edit/proofread this:

I like how calling a course excellent instead of elite/The Best is considered a negative. It's not directed at you, but the general idea of 'bashing' a course by only giving it a 4.0, or someone giving Flip City a 4.5. People tend to focus on the idea that (in this case me, but could be anyone's own ratings) I listed Diavolo as around the 8 - 12th best in the state rather than the fact I also rated it better than 280 other courses in the state. I guess if 'only ranking a course in a state's top 4 - 5% is a considered bad, then there is your answer about its quality.
I'm curious to see your list?

As clever as the review may be, I disagree with the rating given. 3 1/2 is very generous. Besides all the trash and pedestrians, the navigation was a nightmare. :thmbdown:

That's a fair criticism, I wavered on giving it 3 1/2 and the navigation was a big reason. But I know that I'm just a guy rolling through town playing it once and most of the usage of the course will be by people who play with a local for the first time or play it repeatedly. I didn't see any trash on the course, that I remember. Maybe they had a recent cleanup day. Also, having three different tee positions on each hole gave it a bump, in my estimation.

Or maybe having the song stuck in my head just put me in a good mood and affected my rating. Idk. :)

NC courses

I'm curious to see your list?

In no particular order:
1. Sugaree
2. Ashe County Park
3. Nevin
4. Fox Chase.
5. Rolling Pines
6. Hornets Nest
7. Renny

if you're including retired courses:
8. Blackjack
9. Bracketts Bluff (original layout)

I'd put Diavolo in the same range as:
10. North Cove Boulders
11. Keeley Park
12. Stumpy Creek
13. Rock Ridge
14. Jackson Park

That's 15 excellent courses right there. There are lots of other top courses not even on that list, including many I haven't played in the eastern part of the state.

In no particular order:
1. Sugaree
2. Ashe County Park
3. Nevin
4. Fox Chase.
5. Rolling Pines
6. Hornets Nest
7. Renny

8. Blackjack

10. North Cove Boulders
11. Keeley Park
12. Stumpy Creek
13. Rock Ridge
14. Jackson Park

That's 15 excellent courses right there. There are lots of other top courses not even on that list, including many I haven't played in the eastern part of the state.

that looks like my NC wishlist. Were would Richmond Hill fall for you? in the next grouping after 14?

that looks like my NC wishlist. Were would Richmond Hill fall for you? in the next grouping after 14?

Richmond Hill would be in the next tier (16-20 range) along with courses such as Bradford, Fontana Dam, City Lake, and UNC old layout(haven't played the redesign.) I know courses such as Castle Hayne are going to bump things down whenever I get around to playing there.

In no particular order:
1. Sugaree
2. Ashe County Park
3. Nevin
4. Fox Chase.
5. Rolling Pines
6. Hornets Nest
7. Renny

8. Blackjack

10. North Cove Boulders
11. Keeley Park
12. Stumpy Creek
13. Rock Ridge
14. Jackson Park

Guess that's why we have subjective reviews. I have Diavolo right next to Ashe Co as the top public course. Rolling Pines is still way over-rated IMO. Not a big fan of North Cove other than the beauty of it.

Guess that's why we have subjective reviews. I have Diavolo right next to Ashe Co as the top public course. Rolling Pines is still way over-rated IMO. Not a big fan of North Cove other than the beauty of it.

Again, listing Diavolo as anywhere between the eighth to 12th best course out of 301 in the state is far from a slight. I imagine 288 to 292 other courses would be happy with that claim.