• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Classifying the Trident

Moose33

Stego Connoisseur
Gold level trusted reviewer
Hey guys, I didn't really want to make a new thread for this but there wasn't one out there that adequately explained what I want to know.

I bag two Tridents. They are amazing pieces of plastic. One is a fresh Opto 177 the other a slightly worn Gold 175. I use them as a forehand midrange disc, spike Hyzer disc, short overhand shots, and the gold line one as a midrange when it's windy or my arm is feeling really good.

But I don't need to know why Tridents are great, I want to know what you would call them?

Lat64 calls it a control driver, but it's only a speed 5, which I usually a midrange speed designation. It's not a typical mid shape, but the rim width is midish.

A couple of the DG websites have it listed as aid as well, and that's kind of how I use it, but if you crank it you can get it to go a long way.

Is it a weird tweener disc? Is it a mid? Is it a driver? Let's know what you think.

I know what you mean, I'd call it a fast pointy OS mid, slash, slow OS fairway. and that's pretty accurate calling it a utility too lol.

It can do many things.

Guys consult the FL lol. The trident is an exact copy of an FL, so by Innova's estimation it is definitely a speed 9 fairway driver. You can call it whatever you like and throw it for whatever shots you like, but it is a pretty fast driver. It is quite overstable so obviously that limits how far it likes to fly. Yes it has a very blunt nose, but just a hair blunter than a Banshee, F1, F7, H series, xXx, Felon, Firebird, Monster, Max, etc. The wing of the FL/Trident sits much lower than a Firebird, which makes it lower profile and less overstable/more glide. Obviously blunt noses do not necessarily mean a slower disc as long as some of the many other factors and dimensions, like a lower wing height, compensate for it. That is how you can make a very blunt driver like the H4 or F7 fly understable when brand new. Blunt nosed discs are extra durable and comfortable in hand and most people don't like them just because the shape doesn't appeal to them. The FL/trident is great, but the poor FL never appealed to the kool-aid drinkers so look where it ended up. Poor guy, at least it gets some love nowadays in the form of the trident.

I use it as more of a mid when I bag mine. Freaking love the trident so damn. Predictable cause well it does what it does no pushing it off line. Every round I don't have one with me I need it!

Guys consult the FL lol. The trident is an exact copy of an FL, so by Innova's estimation it is definitely a speed 9 fairway driver. You can call it whatever you like and throw it for whatever shots you like, but it is a pretty fast driver. It is quite overstable so obviously that limits how far it likes to fly. Yes it has a very blunt nose, but just a hair blunter than a Banshee, F1, F7, H series, xXx, Felon, Firebird, Monster, Max, etc. The wing of the FL/Trident sits much lower than a Firebird, which makes it lower profile and less overstable/more glide. Obviously blunt noses do not necessarily mean a slower disc as long as some of the many other factors and dimensions, like a lower wing height, compensate for it. That is how you can make a very blunt driver like the H4 or F7 fly understable when brand new. Blunt nosed discs are extra durable and comfortable in hand and most people don't like them just because the shape doesn't appeal to them. The FL/trident is great, but the poor FL never appealed to the kool-aid drinkers so look where it ended up. Poor guy, at least it gets some love nowadays in the form of the trident.

Trident and xxx are both actually much more blunt than a banshee. They are very close to being perfectly flat and when you throw rollers with either its like your disc just got 4wheel drive. You can actually roll over stuff and hop, it's dumb and awesome. I do like banshees very much but they don't roll like the trident or xxx.

As far as speed goes, I feel it's important to take diameter into account. Fl specs are very different for diameter. Larger diameter seems to give a different flight.

Anyway, look at the specs. Not even close to the same disc.

i use it as my overstable driver to compliment my f3 and f5 when i carry my speed 7's. for me it goes as far as my speed 7's. its not as far as my speed 9's, but farther than my mids.

Lol sorry I did exaggerate when I said exact, obviously Lat didn't take the worn out patent from the FL. However it is a copy, and it is an -excellent- copy. Just put an FL and a Trident next to each other on a table sometime and prepare for double vision. Feel them for differences, throw them a few times, then tell me what you think. Great discs, too bad the FL is so unappreciated.

fair enough - i'll be honest and admit i really haven't compared the profiles.

i think that's one thing lat does with their discs though. they get the wide diameter thing going; i'm not quite sure what it does but it just seems to make them a little more glidey even when quite OS.

Cool story brah.
Unfortunately for you, I've had a FL in the past.
Different disc buddy.
Trident owns it.

The Trident and the FL share the same rim thickness (1.9 cm) and perform somewhat similar functions. Other than that, the specs aren't that close.

I don't feel that tridents and Fls are the same either but I could be wrong. Trident is great disc, I have since gone back to banshees but I think the Trident is just as under the radar as the Fl if not more so as allot of people are throwing Fls and not knowing it with the Pro Firebirds. Even among the Trilogy guys in my area the Trident is very well known.

Latest posts