• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Claymore??

Spike Hyzer

Birdie Member
For some reason this disc intrigues me. I have thrown buzzzes for years and love the high speed stable, straight, line holding flight. This past year I added a Prodigy M4 and I love it's ability to hold a turnover angle and drift right when thrown flat without fading back, unless thrown with a lot of height. How does the Claymore compare to these discs? Is it between them? Could it replace both in the bag? For reference I throw these mids up to about 325ft.

Never thrown an M4. The Claymore has more glide than a Buzzz and will probably be more of a holds the line you throw it on type of disc. I carry both a Claymore for pure mid shots and a beat to hades X Buzzz for more utility approach duties. The Claymore has about 30 feet in distance over the Buzz at 80 percent power for me. For reference that's not 300 feet but more than 200.

Even my beat X Buzz wants to fight back and fade out when thrown with enough height to work back. The Claymore holds its line better. I could do without the Buzzz just fine but keep it around because when the going gets tough I know my Buzzz better and its still the greatest mid I know for carving low lines when I need that.

If you want a Buzzz killer, look no further than the Truth.

Claymore is closer to a Buzzz SS imo.

Both are in my bag, but I use Claymores for anhyzers, long turnovers and powered down straight shots.

I use the Truth for anything long and straight. Super straight out to 380' on a hyzer flip. Eats tunnels and makes you fearless in the woods.

I haven't thrown a lot of Buzzzes, but I feel like the stability is very comparable but the Claymore has a bit more glide. This is likely most noticeable on powered down and low ceiling shots. The harder you throw, the less these things matter I think. So it's up to you for how you want your mids to act...I'd likely be 95% as pleased with either one. The Lat64 plastics do feel really nice though.

Claymore is probably closest to the Buzzz out of any midrange I've thrown, in terms of how it feels in the hand. Frost Claymore should be a touch more stable than a flat Opto.

From most to least stable:
Roc3-Roc-Truth-Buzzz-Claymore

Claymore is ber neutral and runs what you put it on. At low power it can run an S curve flight. If snapped hard it is flippy. Flat or hint of hyzer at 70-80% power it is very straight. There's a straighter Truth thread this week that has a lot of comparison between Truth and Claymore.

I know guys that hate trilogy that bag a claymore. It is that good

I saw Cheese throw some killer shots this weekend with his Claymore. Kinda made me wanna try one. I mean, why not? My mid game is already screwed since I'm transitioning from Rocs to Truths/Buzzes.

I thought the claymore was pretty similar to the m4, but i really prefer the feel of the m4.

I prefer the Claymore over the Buzz for a couple of reasons, although they feel/fly alike. One is, that I'm just not a Discraft fan. Also, the Claymore tends to have slightly more turn and fade than the Buzz for me. This allows me to shape my mid-range shots a little more. If I want a straight line, I'll just throw one of my Axes(multiple of MVP Axis)...

If I want a straight line, I'll just throw one of my Axes(multiple of MVP Axis)...

The guy I know who throws these, throws them ridiculously straight with 0 turn. I haven't played with it enough to see how the glide stacks up against the Claymore...but definitely feels more HSS.

The Claymore sounds a lot like the Super Stingray, except without the awful flashing / mini-bead on the bottom. I think the Super Stingray is a touch more stable though... it's straight out to 300 feet (maybe more). It sounds like the Claymore will have more of an S at that distance.

it will produce shallow S curves, but it doesnt have enough lss on it to fade out of a steep turn.

Someone with cleaner form than me needs to do a video for this disc so people have some reference.

I'm going to start recording more video. if I get anything usable with these I'll try to post something.

For me the claymore landed somewhere in between a warship and core. The core has by far the most glide. It easily goes 10m longer than the other two although the warship can go long too. I bought a claymore because I wanted to see if it can replace my core (because of the false rumors that it will go oop). I guess if it is broken in a bit it might be very similar in flight. It will not go in my bag as long as I am happy with my core and warship.

I can't compare it to a Buzzz anymore (I gave mine away). But I remember the Buzzz having a bit less HST. But maybe my arm wasn't the same then...

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/content/?page_id=431&id=LR2380596365516101108285887721O

I've been experimenting with an Opto Claymore as a replacement for the last non-trilogy disc in my bag, an ESP Comet.

So far it seems to hold any angle it's thrown on up to about 325' or so, much like the Comet did for me. Mine doesn't quite seem to match the Inbounds flight as I don't get much turn or fade out of it, it's a super-straight flyer and holds the line it's thrown on with a clean release.

I don't really keep a true understable mid in my bag, I've just had Verdicts, Truths and the Comet for the last 18 months or so. After a few recommendations I did briefly try a Warship as a Comet replacement but it didn't "do it" for me, but this Claymore seems to be fitting in nicely. I just hope this one I got isn't a fluke, I may pick up a couple more when I go back for the GBO and compare.

Sumo, I use a heavy golf line Fuse for that beat to hell KC replacement. Just got a claymore and isn't that floppy out of the box but maybe after a month or two it will get there and replace my fuse which is bound to become too flippy after a year or two.

Do anyone have any experience of how the stability varies between GL, opto, Frost, Retro and Deco Dye?