• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Cold Weather morphed my MVP HELP!

chainbangers

Hello you Oracles of Disc Golf. I am just getting back to playing after playing very sparingly in the winter. I have a MVP Anode (Neutron Plastic) that was slightly concave :)confused:) at the dome, after a few months in my truck it is now convex :))) and the flight has been severly affected. Does anyone know a fix to this or should I drop another $20 on a replacement. For conclave/convex clarification I have attached smilies. Thank you everyone.

I've got three neutron Anodes, and all three of them have a bit of a puddle top now...I've had them for 5 months, but I noticed them puddling after about 3...it's kind of bummer.

Yep, I think you've got concave and convex exactly backwards. Maybe you mean to say it was domey and now the flight plate has sunken in? That's how I'm interpreting it anyway.

Either way, water that is technically hot as balls should flatten it out, but I don't know that you'd ever be able to make it domey again. The process works the same to flatten discs that have too much dome. The water should be hotter than your tap, but not boiling. Just heat some up to steamy goodness and carefully pour it in. (I would suggest a glass measuring cup in the microwave, b/c it doesn't take that much water to fill a disc) Then put a flat weight on top and let it cool all the way down. You should end up with a flat top, which isn't exactly what is sounds like you want, but hey, it's something.

It was domey, now sunk in. I'm going to fill a portion of the bowl with ice water on the bottom, set the disc in with the sides supported and place hot ass water in the inside for about 15 minutes. Then let it rest in a bowl with the sides supported. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks again.

I actually prefer my Ions / Anodes with a little puddle top. IMO it doesn't affect the flight and it helps with the grip! Also, I've never even seen a domey MVP putter.

It was domey, now sunk in. I'm going to fill a portion of the bowl with ice water on the bottom, set the disc in with the sides supported and place hot ass water in the inside for about 15 minutes. Then let it rest in a bowl with the sides supported. I'll let everyone know how it works out. Thanks again.

I think the ice water is a bad idea, just go with the hot water.

If its an early run eclipse leave it alone. Something about the overmold in the early run causes it to warp in the cold. So I would moth ball it till spring. If kts a later run yeah take the hot water route.

It wasn't as domey as say my saint but definatley not puddle topped. After some reading I have found puddle top to be desireable, however it just wasn't the flight I was used to before winter. Worst case Ontario if the cold/hot water thing doesn't work I'll buy another one. It's not a first run by any means. Just the Golf is Dead logo one. Thanks again for all the replies.

Strictly out of curiosity - is this a Neutron wide phenomenon in cold weather? While I don't do it often, I've played into minus double digits on clear days - wouldn't want to wreck my brand new MVPs.

K.

When I had my discs shipped to fairbanks from tn, it was highs of -30 lows of -45. The discs sat out in the cold for several hrs until I got home from work. The soft protons were so cold they were warped. A couple days sitting in the heated garage and they were back to normal.

Are your other discs flying the same? I know you mentioned the disc changed but your form may have changed after time off as well.

FWIW I have flat and concaved Anodes in both plastics, some came slightly concaved, some warped for similar reasons as OP. All seem to fly the same, and I love the concave flight plate for a putting putter.

How'd the flight change on your Anode? More or less overstable? Any change in glide?

Also boiling water can't melt an MVP disc. It might make it laughably domey like I did to an Axis on accident, but it won't melt it. Just gotta not let it sit too long if adding dome with boiling water, but for flattening a disc I can't imagine running into any issues.

The near boiling water didn't do really anything to the disc. It got more over stable. However last night I was practicing in my back yard and think I have the newer flight pattern down. What is kind of funny is, when I put the boiling water in, I didn't realize it was my dying bowl and it stained a perfect circle around the skull of the "Golf is Dead" Logo, so it kind of looks like a golf ball now.

It's weird that near boiling did nothing, although I've never tried the bowl thing you're talking about. Maybe try putting it on a flat counter with a large weight and leaving it overnight if you want to flatten it. I've used a big pot half filled with water left on top of the disc and it will flatten that mofo.

Although, you may be on to something with the puddle topped anode. I bet it'd be like a Yeti anode, which could be kind of nice for grip, especially if it's your putting putter. That sounds weird, "putting putter" but you know what I mean.

Latest posts