• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Colorado Courses Update Thread

Hyzer Ale

Double Eagle Member
I am in the process of moving from California to Denver. I have noticed that Colorado has done a good job of installing courses over the last year and this (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73503) was a thread that I followed before my move. I am hoping to start a new thread that does the same thing for Colorado.

What new courses are going in?
Changes to courses already in the ground?
Rumors?

Anything is appreciated.

Looks like they have a layout for the course in Parker already.
http://www.parkeronline.org/DocumentCenter/View/17117

Wow, how disappointing...from the Google Earth view, they are not going to utilize any of the wooded portion of the property along the creek. The proposal has the appearance of a executive style Scottish links ball golf course. I've not seen the property first-hand, but there doesn't appear to be more than maybe 4 trees in the course footprint. Maybe they think it's better than no course. My feeling is it would be like Schaefer but with 18 holes and no obstacles. :(

Sorry if I jacked the thread.

No need to apologize, I was hoping that this thread would have any and all input about new courses. I wonder if that layout is set in stone or just a general "the course will be around here" thing that someone put together quickly.

Wow, how disappointing...from the Google Earth view, they are not going to utilize any of the wooded portion of the property along the creek. The proposal has the appearance of a executive style Scottish links ball golf course. I've not seen the property first-hand, but there doesn't appear to be more than maybe 4 trees in the course footprint. Maybe they think it's better than no course. My feeling is it would be like Schaefer but with 18 holes and no obstacles. :(

That is a damn shame. I didn't even notice the plan is on the barren side of cherry creek trail. I love new courses, but it's so frustrating to see more of the same. Centre Hills had so much more potential if they would have gone with 12 holes instead of 18. Or 9 with 3 different teepads. I'd love to see what a top level designer could do with a decent piece of property in the Denver area...

No need to apologize, I was hoping that this thread would have any and all input about new courses. I wonder if that layout is set in stone or just a general "the course will be around here" thing that someone put together quickly.

I just hope they got input from someone knowledgeable in DG course design and not just some parks guy thinking "hey,this looks good". There is certainly great potential on that property where the trees are, and i'm afraid if they don't use that, they will be wasting the money, which in turn may lead to a bad impression of DG by the Parks dept. Not many people are going to play course that just throws back and forth across an open field for 18 holes. I'm also not sure how safe this course will be, to be honest.

I emailed Parker about the project. The area around the creek (to the east of the path) is federal protected land as is much of the land up cherry Creek and Platt river.

Also what was linked is only an architect artistic render & not the cities actual plans.

Expect something along the lines of Village Greens.

Sorry to derail, while there's been a jump in courses they haven't been much above beginner level courses.

Up here in NW Colorado we opened up to new quality courses this last summer. And both courses are expected to make more improvements this summer as well.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6976&mode=ci

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=846&mode=ci

We are also in the process of trying to get the city of Steamboat Springs to install a course.
If the city put down some money we could become one of the best places for disc golf in Colorado. Personally I would say we are already very good. Both of those courses offer tons of challenge and unique shots.

I would highly recommend you guys make a trip to Steamboat Springs this summer. Both courses should be clear of snow by May.....possibly June but I will keep you posted.

Welcome to Colorado! (full disclosure: I was born in oceanside)

Hi Hyzer Ale - I can thoroughly respect your desire to research this matter, considering your near future/relocation. What part of town will you be relocating to? Whats your home course now?

I have played flip city and phantom falls which are highly rated on this website, and I love all kinds of courses but you might tell us what type of courses you like so that we could predetermine where not to send you ...

I wish I could report that this is a full on disc mecca but...
the front range from boulder to pueblo is fairly meh. Dirt Merchants are really fond of land here and so disc golf courses get designated as a possibility/priority that is just slightly higher than a landfill.

Obviously, when you hit the mountains EVERYTHING is beautiful, and the courses reflect that but then again, we're in Colorado, so if you're in the mountains and its winter you take your discs and melt them down to wax your snowboard.

There is also a course that was just pulled but I haven't seen any announcements regarding why. I would love for somebody to give us the specifics as to why Colorado Heights University just pulled their course because hyzer ale has the right to know what people are like here. (personal anti thread jacking leverage perhaps? lol)

I went to the CHU course once and was told (after throwing 2 or 3 Holes) that I had to leave. I hadn't purchased a membership for the year so I wasn't allowed to play. What kind of Dicks have ever stood in front of you and told you not to throw because it was their park? I've been having this same argument for the last 25 years regarding where I can skateboard and where I can snowboard, so I've heard the rhetoric before.

The long and short of it is that when I lived in Texas, Michigan and Tennessee, I played league and made friends. I haven't seen the league here yet, and I guess its because it travels? there doesn't seem to be a real presence at " each course " of someone wanting to run things, weekly and maybe thats our job, right?

Also - Please watch out for Cottonwood in Colorado springs which should rate itself as the course which needs to be pulled more than any other course in America. or El Paso County at least.

If people tell you that you cant play the nicest course along the front range, which is undoubtedly sakuna pines in Black Forest, unless you "know people", tell them that you know them. They are located in the office cabin at La Foret retreat/conference center adjacent to the course. Just check in by telling them your intentions, asking politely, and thanking them gratuitously. No Smoking, no dogs.

I know you'll survive, and I'm sure you'll thrive, Colorado is wonderful! see you out there buddy!

That's an interesting take. You sound like you fall in the camp where if it ain't in the mountains it ain't worth playing. It also sounds like you do not believe in abiding by the rules of privately owned property and paying course fees.

I went to the CHU course once and was told (after throwing 2 or 3 Holes) that I had to leave. I hadn't purchased a membership for the year so I wasn't allowed to play. What kind of Dicks have ever stood in front of you and told you not to throw because it was their park? I've been having this same argument for the last 25 years regarding where I can skateboard and where I can snowboard, so I've heard the rhetoric before.

A private property owner has not duty to tell you why they chose to do something with their property. If you were more involved in the DG community here you would know why CHU was pulled.

CHU was on a privately operated school and was $75 a year for a member pass to play the course and get a parking pass to the property. With out this pass you were trespassing which threatened having the course pulled. This is one, if not the #1 reason it was pulled. Someone confronted you because the players were afraid of losing the course because of people like you. Good for them for being a "dick". Maybe if more members had stood up the course would be in. Sad thing is that each member got a guest pass and someone would have surely volunteered to play with you had you asked.

Sakuna is also on private property. All you have to do is check in at the office and pay a small fee which is usually waved. They also usually ask that you be a current PDGA member.

There are many organized league/tag matches by Pikes Peak Flying Disc Club (Colorado Springs), Foothills Flyers (Pine/Conifer/Front Range), and Mile High Disc Golf Club (Denver and surrounding metro area).

Sorry if you have not had a great experience in Colorado so far but I strongly disagree with a majority of your post. You did nail that Cottonwood is dangerous and should be pulled. I would opt for a redesign but whatever. That is one of the reasons Pikes Peak DG is working hard to get new courses in the ground.

DRod, good on you, I was going to call out that post myself. For a guy that supposedly has been playing for over 22 years, he doesn't seem to have picked up any good etiquette, but he's only played 3 courses in that time, so..... Also sad that CHU got pulled, I never quite got the chance to play it. I still have to get to Sakuna, too.

Hi Hyzer Ale - I can thoroughly respect your desire to research this matter, considering your near future/relocation. What part of town will you be relocating to? Whats your home course now? ...you might tell us what type of courses you like so that we could predetermine where not to send you ...

I am moving to the City Park part of Denver next month. Current home course is La Raza and Hellyer in San Jose, CA http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=174, http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=212. My favorite course in the are is DeLaVeaga. I prefer courses that make you think about your shot and aren't just wide open but strongly believe that you can't have a bad time on the course. This thread wasn't made just for my research but more of a good place for people to talk about the future courses that this beautiful state will get. I, like many, am willing to write letters or attend meetings on be-half of new courses and love when the information is readily available for all.

Thanks for the info on some of the good courses. Pay to Play isn't a problem for me.

I am moving to the City Park part of Denver next month.
I'm 4 blocks south of City Park so hit me up when you're in town.

jeffmonty said:
Also sad that CHU got pulled, I never quite got the chance to play it. I still have to get to Sakuna, too.
I got to play Sakuna yesterday for the first time.. it is my new favorite course in CO.

I'm 4 blocks south of City Park so hit me up when you're in town.

I got to play Sakuna yesterday for the first time.. it is my new favorite course in CO.

Is this Sakuna course not on this site?

Jeff - highly recommend Sakuna. One of the toughest courses in the state IMO.

Is this Sakuna course not on this site?

Sakuna - The owners requested that it not be listed here (listed under extinct though).

I think this thread is a great idea Hyzer. I expect that we will have a lot to discuss as disc golf is booming here. Unfortunately most of the courses in the Denver/Metro area are wide open and do not require much thinking. It's always fun to get out with a great group of people. The community is awesome.

Last edited:
Sakuna is a gem. Some folks don't like it because it's sooo heavily wooded. Definitely worth a stop if you know the right people.
Back on topic, I know of two potential courses that are going in around Colorado springs area. I walked a rough layout of one by a river that has the potential to be something good. It's by a jail? We'll see what the final layout is..

Latest posts