• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

Has anyone thrown a King and Colossus and could compare the two for me please?

We talked about it a little a few pages back. The Colossus in max weight is closer to a worn Destroyer. It will always come back at the end where I could never get a King to come back. Even on 80% rips the King would just keep tracking right. I personally don't think they are close at all. The Colossus is a flex machine out of the box on high full power throws and really excels at lower, tight golf lines as well.

We talked about it a little a few pages back. The Colossus in max weight is closer to a worn Destroyer. It will always come back at the end where I could never get a King to come back. Even on 80% rips the King would just keep tracking right. I personally don't think they are close at all. The Colossus is a flex machine out of the box on high full power throws and really excels at lower, tight golf lines as well.

We had different kings, both of my VIP pop tops would always come back when thrown over 400 unless there was a headwind. But if yours didn't I must have had extra stable kings.

We had different kings, both of my VIP pop tops would always come back when thrown over 400 unless there was a headwind. But if yours didn't I must have had extra stable kings.

Definitely. 2015+ kings are flippy crap. I was hoping the fluid moonshine stuff would be stable, but its not. Really bummed that the stable VIP stuff from 2014 is now unfindable.

Fortunately it looks like innova stepped up and hit the gap with the colossus.

Anyone compared g* and champ colossus' yet? Looking for the more stable of the two so I have a champ 175 arriving this week.

Any Champ Katana throwers try the Colossus?

I have one of those old stable Kings if anyone is interested. Champ Katanas are very similar BTW though a little more stable on average.

I'm with you. A more stable tern would be pretty cool.

Isnt that called a destroyer? Lol.

Throwing my friends max weight gstar colossus, flew really similar to an echo boss. Lots of turn, then some fade. Likes to be hyzer flipped i think? Throwing 450 for reference.

Isnt that called a destroyer? Lol.

Throwing my friends max weight gstar colossus, flew really similar to an echo boss. Lots of turn, then some fade. Likes to be hyzer flipped i think? Throwing 450 for reference.

Colossus feels more comfortable in my hand than a destroyer.

As I've said before. They're stamping the champ colossus 14|5|-1|3. I don't think it'll be quote that stable, but they also mark new old mold beats as -2|2 and they're definitely not. I will post as soon as my champ comes and I get to throw it.

I've ordered two stock stamp colossus and as soon as I get them, I'll take all three to my field and test them

I finally got to throw my friends Gstar Colosus. And like most people are saying, this disc is fast! I don't have the biggest arm but when I got a good throw on this disc it really flies. For comparison, my buddy was throwing it and doesn't have quite the arm speed as me. And for him the disc was acting much more OS, more like a Champ Destroyer or something like that.

So like most high speed drivers if you don't really crush the Colosus you won't see much of a straight flight out of it. But if you can get it out past 350' you can really start to see this thing fly.

I can throw my GStar proto ~400 - flat release produces a gentle S.

The 175g Innova Air Force Champ (that looks like a 175g blizzard) is a bit too much disc for me. I only get turn on my better throws.

I like the speed 14 rim for forehands, and the flat GStar proto feels great. Its my go-to for forehands right now.

for guys with 4-500' power, how are these handling in the wind?

I would say I can get into 400' territory now with a good flip from my Wraith. When I pull these out they go further, almost somewhat accurately too. I've had a chance to test them in all conditions (one G*, two champ) The champ aren't quite as stable as they're marked but more stable than the G*. In terms of wind, I threw two with moderate hyzer into a 20ish MPH headwind and they still fought for a ton of distance but turned more than I would've liked them too. These drivers are definitely max distance doesn't quite matter where it lands drivers, but I won't be using these for accurate distance as the Wraith is my main go-to driver.

...you do not see experienced players throwing Pro or DX too often(at least the ones I play with). Keep in mind I live in Northern New England where everything is wooded and thus durability is important.

I am an experienced player and play with many other experienced players that throw Pro and DX plastic, predominantly for mid-ranges and putters. Like you, I'm around a lot of wooded courses. Pro and DX discs are the straightest and most manipulative discs, and they outperform premium plastics in tight quarters and provide better grip in rainy or sweaty conditions. KC Pro and DX Rocs and Aviars are in a lot of Pro bags. Even drivers in Pro aren't too uncommon--usually the under stable and glide crazy version (ex. fresh Star Destroyer, worn Star, beat Pro).

I guess the problem I am having is that I am still not terribly consistent with the Colossus. Probably 1 out of 4 drives simply roll over. Probably as a result of attempting to overthrow... but the 3 solid releases are inspiring

I have three of these things now. I've got an Air Force Champ, a GStar Proto, and a new KC Open stamp Champ, all max weight. The Air Force and Proto are in the same ballpark, though the champ is definitely a tick more stable. They're just on the edge of where I can get turn on a 400' backhand drive, although I mainly forehand with them (which turns plenty at 320' bcz I suck at forehands...)

I had to buy the KC Colossus, 'cause the lion stamp, so I pulled the others and threw that in the bag. ftr, both the KC and Air Force are max weight Orange champ with bubbles in the rim.

The KC stamp is King understable at high speed with a much harder hitting fade. I'm hoping a slight hyzer will put this on a usable line because this thing bombs... like further than Kings did for me.

so, I like all three at this point enough to put up with the variation, but as much as I'm digging them it also reminds me why I dont bag more Innova drivers.

Yeah, seems Innova has had a hell of a time lately getting any consistency in their driver molds as far as stability goes. Newer runs of Bosses and Destroyers are coming out SUPER overstable.

I don't remember all these issues about 5 years ago. A Star Destroyer was a Star Destroyer. You'd get a little variance from disc to disc, but nothing like now.