• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

I have a favorite camping spot up in the mountains that sits on the edge of a big meadow with a old pine tree about 600 feet down in the meadow. I usually take 5 or 6 high speed drivers with me to practice trying to hit the tree. 12&13 speed. One day I decided to take my 9&10 speeds with me to see how close I could get to the tree with slower drivers, and surprisingly enough I couldn't get nearly as close as my faster drivers. Didn't mater how I tried to throw they just could not get there. So people may be able to throw their slower drivers as far as their high speed stuff but I know I can't.:(

IMHO everyone has a "point of diminishing returns", where they can't get higher-rated-speed discs any further than ones at a certain level. For the pros, that could be molds not yet created. For me, it's about speed 11. (For some, apparently it's the Leopard, but we've had that debate already :popcorn: )

I have a favorite camping spot up in the mountains that sits on the edge of a big meadow with a old pine tree about 600 feet down in the meadow. I usually take 5 or 6 high speed drivers with me to practice trying to hit the tree. 12&13 speed. One day I decided to take my 9&10 speeds with me to see how close I could get to the tree with slower drivers, and surprisingly enough I couldn't get nearly as close as my faster drivers. Didn't mater how I tried to throw they just could not get there. So people may be able to throw their slower drivers as far as their high speed stuff but I know I can't.:(

I'll agree with this. For a long, open drive I'm going for the 13-14 speed discs. A Nuke, Boss or Torrent will always go further on a full power throw for me vs. a 9 or 10 speed. I'm convinced that whomever thinks Valkyries and Beasts will keep up with a Nuke must just not have the necessary arm for the Nuke.

I've played the same course for years, and as discs have evolved I find myself getting to longer holes more consistently with speed 13 discs than I ever could with slower stuff. In some ways these newer discs are obsoleting a lot of courses.

Case in point, today on one hole I threw A Z Nuke, a Torrent and a Champion Beast. The Torrent and Nuke literally ended up 2' away from each other. The Beast was a solid 40' behind them. All had more or less the same rip and same line too. The faster discs penetrate better and flat out have more distance capability when thrown hard than the Beast.

I've thrown a Star TL over 400 feet on golf lines before. Generally I can throw Destroyers around 400 feet on a good golf drive. However, if I'm talking about a slower disc with similar stability that takes a similar line to a Destroyer (such as a Teebird) then it's going to be shorter than the Destroyer on the same throw. What I'm trying to say is, if you're throwing discs of similar stabilities in different speed classes on similar lines, then the faster disc is usually going to go further (assuming you have the arm for it). However, if you take a slightly more understable low speed disc, you can often throw it on different lines and achieve the same distance as you would the faster disc. That's why I said earlier that it depends on what type of line you're trying to throw with the disc. Simple distance and speed doesn't really tell the whole story.

I'll agree with this. For a long, open drive I'm going for the 13-14 speed discs. A Nuke, Boss or Torrent will always go further on a full power throw for me vs. a 9 or 10 speed. I'm convinced that whomever thinks Valkyries and Beasts will keep up with a Nuke must just not have the necessary arm for the Nuke.

I've played the same course for years, and as discs have evolved I find myself getting to longer holes more consistently with speed 13 discs than I ever could with slower stuff. In some ways these newer discs are obsoleting a lot of courses.

Case in point, today on one hole I threw A Z Nuke, a Torrent and a Champion Beast. The Torrent and Nuke literally ended up 2' away from each other. The Beast was a solid 40' behind them. All had more or less the same rip and same line too. The faster discs penetrate better and flat out have more distance capability when thrown hard than the Beast.

This seems true for average players. Maybe it's not the case for the top tier and pros though.

For me it's as I said, about easy distance. I can get a teebird as far as my wraiths, but it takes a lot more effort and manipulation of the line to do so. I liked the feel of the colossus in my hand, I assumed because of its speed combined with its intended flight characteristics it'd be easy distance and on a hole due to the design of it, I am only able usually to get a wraith to about 350, where as this disc, with little effort, pushed close to 400 and I was able to do it with less effort. For me, I like discs that allow me to achieve the easiest/best shot(don't everyone) with minimal effort and I do foresee this disc doing it and did do it multiple times

That's a surprising difference.

Been testing the colossus, it definitely wants to go really fast. I have a Ballista on the way and I am curious how the two compare. My question is why does Innova release it in Gstar. I don't dislike it as much as other people but would choose something else given the chance.

This is a guess but I would guess Innova plastics sell in this order

Champion
Star
Gstar
Ecostar
Pro
Dx

I may be wrong on that don't quote me. I am not a casual and you do not see experienced players throwing Pro or DX too often(at least the ones I play with). Keep in mind I live in Northern New England where everything is wooded and thus durability is important. On the above chart I am not sure if Star is a better seller than Champion or Vice versa, but the fact that bit retailer's like Eastern Mountain Sports carries champion and not star certainly plays into that guess. I actually prefer star, but anyway why Gstar? This is kind of like if Trilogy released new discs in their Frost plastic which they do not do.

Most obvious reason, its a winter release and its their winter plastic
Other reasons
Gstar is not doing well and they want to get it out there with popular new molds
They know In Champion it will be too beefy for most players
They know people want the disc and cannot wait for other plastics so they will buy it in gstar and then in another plastic when they release it.

Anyway just some ideas, any thoughts on why gstar is the release plastic? I wish I had it in Star not Gstar....

Oh god damn

Why did you bring that up? I play a dgcr drinking game with sd86 posts.

Take a drink when he talks about flight numbers

Take a drink when he brings up the colt

Take a drink when he disagrees with guys who have been playing for 20 years

Take a drink when he complains about gstar

This is going to put me in the hospital. Thanks :(

Flight numbers are good.
The Colt is an excellent disc.
My own counsel will I keep.
GStar is too soft, especially in summer.

Lol, who knows? I think all the speculation about GStar on here has been pretty pointless honestly (and I've participated in that speculation). None of us have any idea how well GStar sells, but Dave Dunipace in an off-handed comment in his AMA did say that Star was his best selling plastic. (He laughed out loud at the idea that he would phase out Star and replace it with GStar.) I'm guessing GStar sells pretty well though because I think Innova wants to make money, not just shove plastic down our throats that we don't want. It may not sell well with the DGCR crowd, it may not sell well with the pro crowd, but I think it must be selling well with SOME crowd because otherwise I don't think Innova would keep doing GStar releases. They may also release discs first in GStar because people will buy them in GStar just to try the new mold and then guy them AGAIN when they come out in Star or Champion.

They may also release discs first in GStar because people will buy them in GStar just to try the new mold and then guy them AGAIN when they come out in Star or Champion.

Or it may have just been the colder weather timing of the release of this disc in gstar plastic.

Lol, who knows? I think all the speculation about GStar on here has been pretty pointless honestly (and I've participated in that speculation). None of us have any idea how well GStar sells, but Dave Dunipace in an off-handed comment in his AMA did say that Star was his best selling plastic. (He laughed out loud at the idea that he would phase out Star and replace it with GStar.) I'm guessing GStar sells pretty well though because I think Innova wants to make money, not just shove plastic down our throats that we don't want. It may not sell well with the DGCR crowd, it may not sell well with the pro crowd, but I think it must be selling well with SOME crowd because otherwise I don't think Innova would keep doing GStar releases. They may also release discs first in GStar because people will buy them in GStar just to try the new mold and then guy them AGAIN when they come out in Star or Champion.
Or it may have just been the colder weather timing of the release of this disc in gstar plastic.

Consult20 is partially right, IMHO. But Dave Dunipace has many times stated how much he loves GStar plastic, how it feels 'just right' for his grip. He even said he has his Stud (and Colt) in GStar, which AFAIK is not available to the Public yet.

So GStar may be fairly popular, but it keeps coming out (and first runs) in GStar because Mr. Dunipace likes the plastic himself. And hugheshilton has a point that putting it out in GStar first means possibly if not likely sales in other plastics later.

I heard or read somewhere from someone affiliated with Innova that the discs mold up fairly consistently in G* compared to their other plastics. That's why so many different molds were released in it because it's a consistent plastic. Also I went out and played again with colossus. I've tried out a lot of warp speed drivers and I can safely say that the colossus is staying in the bag. The easy distance I am achieving and surprising stability it has, has come in handy in the 6 rounds I've played with it. It won't supplant my wraiths as my main driver, but definitely is a great max d hyzer flip distance driver

The colussus seems to have big d potential. I have not had time to test it against the other "giants"-boss, king, ballista, tp world, tern, etc..

Consult20 is partially right, IMHO. But Dave Dunipace has many times stated how much he loves GStar plastic, how it feels 'just right' for his grip. He even said he has his Stud (and Colt) in GStar, which AFAIK is not available to the Public yet.

So GStar may be fairly popular, but it keeps coming out (and first runs) in GStar because Mr. Dunipace likes the plastic himself. And hugheshilton has a point that putting it out in GStar first means possibly if not likely sales in other plastics later.

Bingo

According to the dealer page it's supposed to be a 14|5|-1|3. I'll be getting one ASAP in the champ standard run. I played again this week and it's just stupid how much distance you can get. I've tried kings and every warp speed and I am in love. I nearly 3ed a hole I've only ever 4ed, so I once again am a big advocate for people to try the g* version

Has anyone thrown a King and Colossus and could compare the two for me please?