• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

The Groove is like pop country music. Absolutely horrible and an embarrassment to the genre, yet a big seller to the clueless masses. If people weren't buying it, Innova would stop making it.

Let me ask this question: *IS* the Groove selling all that well? Is the Monarch selling all that well?

I've seen a few Grooves or Monarchs on the shelves of stores, but don't see them flying off said shelves. Maybe some of you that sell online or know the online sellers can find this out?

My point is that Innova is selling what they've made, but if the inventory is not dropping very fast, they might not make new runs of these discs, but just sell them until they're gone...

Let me ask this question: *IS* the Groove selling all that well? Is the Monarch selling all that well?

I've seen a few Grooves or Monarchs on the shelves of stores, but don't see them flying off said shelves. Maybe some of you that sell online or know the online sellers can find this out?

My point is that Innova is selling what they've made, but if the inventory is not dropping very fast, they might not make new runs of these discs, but just sell them until they're gone...

Those are great questions. I don't think the Monarch is actually such a bad disc for an entry-level understable driver. The Groove is mainly bad because it seems to mold up very inconsistently and you can't find 2 that fly the same. The Groove I had a long time ago flew pretty OS, maybe -0.5, but I could put it on a flex line an get some pretty good distance out of it. I think most intermediate to advanced level players gave up on it because of the inconsistency (plus it never got released in Star plastic). Most serious disc golfers who want a disc with the Groove's numbers will throw the Tern instead right now.

Anyway, my guess is that the Colossus is designed to replace the Groove and the Groove will go OOP once the stock is sold out and the Colossus will take that spot in the chart. Chuckers might buy Grooves, but they would be just as happy buying a Boss, Colossus, or any other "speed 13" disc with a cool name, so I don't think that those people are necessarily going to sway Innova to keep the Groove in production if they've got something better to replace it.

Anyway, my guess is that the Colossus is designed to replace the Groove and the Groove will go OOP once the stock is sold out and the Colossus will take that spot in the chart. Chuckers might buy Grooves, but they would be just as happy buying a Boss, Colossus, or any other "speed 13" disc with a cool name, so I don't think that those people are necessarily going to sway Innova to keep the Groove in production if they've got something better to replace it.

I'm thinking the Colossus is meant to compete directly with the DD Freedom, which apparently has some popularity and is also being pushed as a Glass Blown Open-support disc. It also fills an Innova "need" for a Speed-14 disc.

IMHO, the Colossus will be advertised to give noodle-armed players hope that they can throw farther than (they'll find out that) they really can. The Freedom has been (IMHO falsely) advertised as "easy distance", "long distance for noodle arms" and give a false hope that one can get 50 feet more than they ever have before with any disc.

Oh well, we'll see what happens. I know I won't need a Colossus; those of you with powerful arms, let us know how the Colossus works for you....

SD86, to answer your question about the Groove selling...
I base my popularity assessments on the discs I find in ponds and forests. Whether it be Arizona, Iowa, Florida, or Illinois, it feels like 1 in 10 discs is a groove. I know lost discs are not the same as discs played with, but it does tell me someone out there is throwing them.

Maybe that number is a bit high these days, but in 2012 and 2013 when I was pulling in a few hundred a year, I'm confident it was that high. You may not see them selling at your shop, but they're selling from somewhere. Big box stores or online

SD86, to answer your question about the Groove selling...
I base my popularity assessments on the discs I find in ponds and forests. Whether it be Arizona, Iowa, Florida, or Illinois, it feels like 1 in 10 discs is a groove. I know lost discs are not the same as discs played with, but it does tell me someone out there is throwing them.

Maybe that number is a bit high these days, but in 2012 and 2013 when I was pulling in a few hundred a year, I'm confident it was that high. You may not see them selling at your shop, but they're selling from somewhere. Big box stores or online

So they're throwing them into ponds just to get rid of them, eh? :p

Okay, seriously, thanks for this info. Sometimes anecdotal information like this can be very good, or not mean so much. Out of curiosity, what else were you finding in large quantities? The lake around my home course seems to produce a number of Wraiths and Leopards...

I've always figured innova just ran a bajillion grooves back in the day, knowing they could use their sporting goods retail space to unload all of them If they had to, and have been working off that ever since. I personally don't think innova has actually ran a groove in a long time, but they're not strictly OOP because there is still stock to run thru.

I have zero evidence to back that up.

The monarach is a newbie friendly driver. I'd like to give the colossus a rip once or twice, but I don't think I'd buy one just for that.

I'd like to give the colossus a rip once or twice, but I don't think I'd buy one just for that.

I'm right there with you. Unless this thing ends up taking off like the Tern did, I'll probably pass. I ignored the Tern for a year or so until there were enough people saying it was a great disc that I actually tried one (and bagged it for a while until I decided to minimize molds and just use a GStar Destroyer for that slot).

I think newbs buy Grooves and Monarchs. Dicks (at least around here) sells them. I see them in the rack every time I go there. Beasts too. Total crime to sell Grooves and Monarchs at $17.99 though.

I liked the Monarch better than the Groove, but neither of them I'd ever take out on a course.
I think honestly the best 3 fast, wide rimmed drivers I've thrown have been the Nuke, Boss, and Torrent. The Torrent especially. Anyone here who hasn't tried it and who likes fast drivers should. It's a tick faster than the Nuke and Boss with maybe an iota more high speed turn. Surprisingly good glide too.

I'll give honorable mentions to the Rampage, Cannon and Nuke SS. Nuke SS is as long as anything out there if you can control the understability.

I'm a little interested to see how the Colossus can stack up. Especially if Innova can do a good job on it and make it consistent across the board.

Heard on smashboxx awhile back mentioning hearing the groove was one of their biggest sellers, seems to be with the casual golfer, but I wouldn't think it's going anywhere.

I don't want to get in a Groove argument but I would think if it was selling well at all it would have been made in different plastics. That's always been the norm with Innova. Look at all the best sellers. They are made in all the plastics. The better they sell the quicker they seem to come out in a different plastic. We have a local retailer that moves some plastic and the same Grooves have been on the shelf for years. When they get a new batch of Destroyers in they all sell in a few weeks though. I don't see many people bagging Grooves, Archangels, Monarchs, Wolfs or any of those "one plastic" discs. I just can't believe the Groove is a top selling disc.

I don't want to get in a Groove argument but I would think if it was selling well at all it would have been made in different plastics. That's always been the norm with Innova. Look at all the best sellers. They are made in all the plastics. The better they sell the quicker they seem to come out in a different plastic. We have a local retailer that moves some plastic and the same Grooves have been on the shelf for years. When they get a new batch of Destroyers in they all sell in a few weeks though. I don't see many people bagging Grooves, Archangels, Monarchs, Wolfs or any of those "one plastic" discs. I just can't believe the Groove is a top selling disc.

I agree with almost all of this. The one exception is the Archangel. I go in the stores and I keep seeing different colored Archangels, so they're obviously being sold, restocked and sold some more. IMHO Innova doesn't make them in many plastics is because they're beginner/starter discs, and people outgrow them and move on to Valks and other popular discs in many plastics.

I think it depends on where you're looking. I would speculate the majority of grooves are sold in big box retailers to people who only see the high speed ratings and immediately buy that disc. The fact that it only comes in one of their most expensive plastic offerings means that for an inexperienced golfer who doesn't understand what they're getting into, even if they buy only one groove before they learn their lesson, it was a more profitable lesson from the manufacturer.

I agree with almost all of this. The one exception is the Archangel. I go in the stores and I keep seeing different colored Archangels, so they're obviously being sold, restocked and sold some more. IMHO Innova doesn't make them in many plastics is because they're beginner/starter discs, and people outgrow them and move on to Valks and other popular discs in many plastics.

I agree totally. I started with an Archangel because I wanted distance. It was easy to throw and thrown with hyzer, it could go for a bit. Now the Archangel is also made in XT.

Well the promotional pic makes it look like these have a nice, even dome to them, which should add a bit of glide if they really do mold up like that. If there weren't several discs in line first that I don't have any money to buy right now, I might pick up one of these to try, but they'll just have to wait for now. I'd also rather have Star than GStar, but if the mold is popular that will probably happen eventually. I guess we'll see.

Stamp is pretty cool too. If I hadn't just gotten some backup Kings this might make my list, but as it stands I'm not going to be clamoring.

Nice dome, profile, and wing design. Very tempting to pick up 4 and get free shipping, but I think I'll hold off till Spring and try 1 when they are full production.

Latest posts