• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Colossus

Just ordered three first run stamps from community. Surprised that they had any in stock. And really surprised innova did their first run in a gstar plastic.

The two lighter ones, green 167ish will be going to field with me by the end of the week. Really looking forward to seeing if this is really any longer than the boss, king, ballista, etc.

The beautiful red mangenese colored one is going to go in the collector bin. Maybe in a few years it will more than pay for the two that I'm experimenting with that may or may not make the bag.

On a side not having these in gstar this time of the year will definitely help with cold weather grip issues!

Last edited:
What's false about it?

All of it. Last time i checked west side made the king first if innova wants to play that stupid game in the first place.

Its also not even max rim size just shallow. What speed is the Discraft flick?

Last edited:
Speed is such a bs number, almost as silly as glide! If a disc goes far for you then great, otherwise find something that works better for you. The King is a 2.3cm width so I'm not sure it qualifies as "true" speed 14 either.

Exactly. My. Point.

But innova wrote the book and all!

SPEED| Speed is the ability of the disc to cut through the air. Speed Ratings are listed from 1 to 13. Discs with high numbers are faster. Faster discs go farther into the wind with less effort. Slower discs take more power

^ innova website - they should send that book to rewrite

Last edited:
It's kind of like,"but these amps go to 11" right now. The max rim is set and we can't do a lot more to add actual speed from there.

"the first true speed 14 from... Innova"
not a lie.
Innova hasn't made a speed 14 until this.

Can you read or just like making stuff up?
It's kind of like,"but these amps go to 11" right now. The max rim is set and we can't do a lot more to add actual speed from there.

Its NOT max rim size which people always relate to speed.

I knew, but how do you add "speed" to a disc in ways that are approved by the PDGA?

You can't add weight, make a sharper rim, smaller diameter, bigger wing. Other trying strange things like Kastaplasts inner wing or the hex stuff, how can we realistically ass speed now?

We've pretty much reached the peak right now, let people call them whatever number they will.

The Colossus is shallower(1.1 vs 1.2cm) than any other 2.5cm wide rim disc which technically makes it faster. I'm kinda curious how much shallower they can legally go. The Colossus doesn't have the sharpest rim as well so they could really up the annie with a Boss like nose on a 1.1 or 1.0cm depth rim if that's legal and make a speed 15. I think Innova is running out of ideas and the Tern was a big hit so a couple more shallow high speed discs might be the next step. When I first started I bought the Terminator by Quest which only has a 0.635cm deep rim but faster than anything I ever thrown back then but not legal.

Honestly, forgot about PDGA rules and try to improve the disc. Once we can convince the PDGA to alter the rules for disc specs than we'll start to get more audiences who are addicted to the flight of disc. The longer and farther it goes I think is an opportunity to entice spectators.

More money means more research.

Just think if Boeing or some other flight company put a few of their best engineers on trying to improve the aerodynamics of a speed 14 disc? Certainly they wouldn't want to be limited by what the PDGA thinks should be limits/specs of a disc.

Another example of why and how the PDGA is limiting the potential of our sport!!!!

Honestly, forgot about PDGA rules and try to improve the disc. Once we can convince the PDGA to alter the rules for disc specs than we'll start to get more audiences who are addicted to the flight of disc. The longer and farther it goes I think is an opportunity to entice spectators.

More money means more research.

Just think if Boeing or some other flight company put a few of their best engineers on trying to improve the aerodynamics of a speed 14 disc? Certainly they wouldn't want to be limited by what the PDGA thinks should be limits/specs of a disc.

Another example of why and how the PDGA is limiting the potential of our sport!!!!

While I agree with some of this, I think at some point safety has to be a serious consideration -- it likely already is a big part of the PDGA's limitations on disc specs.

While I agree that people may enjoy throwing the disc 1,000 ft instead of 300 ft...at a certain point you need to put limitations on the sport. Where does it end? It is just like any other sport. In regular golf, there are limitations to club specs. I do not have a problem with the PDGA setting limitations.

Back to the thread, I am going to wait on this disc until it comes out in Star plastic. I am definitely looking forward to when it does though!

Don't get me wrong.. I'm just talking about tweaking the specs some to allow for better aerodynamics... And no I don't think a golf disc should ever go as far as a golf ball! But realistically if we could get to a little more than half of the distance a golf ball can go in flight it would make the sport better in terms of spectators seeing a longer flight.

Their is the possibility that with better aerodynamics that the disc could be made even lighter which would not increase the danger/safety factor. Not to mention it would be easier on trees, the greens, etc...

This is an evolving sport and some of the rules should evolve as well with technology!

Guys like Lizotte can throw a disc over 800 ft, I don't think we really need to have faster discs. 800 ft is spectacular

Guys like lizotte are lucky to get anything over 500ft on a golf line. So I think with some improved aerodynamics it should be closer to 600ft.

Also, that would mean the recreational guy who is pushing 300ft. Would/could get closer to 400ft.

Lizotte can hit 500 ft on a hyzer line pretty easy. I think he probably has no problem throwing 600 ft on a golf line.