• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Combatting the Stall

Warhammer

I played a quick 10 holes today and realized that my longest disc is my KC Pro Roc.

Still relatively new, but I am starting to get some techniques down, hysers and anhyser shots, hyser flips, etc. The problem I have is that my longer discs tend to go, they look great, but get 15-20 feet above the ground and then stall out to the left and die. If I try and adjust, I wind up throwing the disc straight into the ground.

Is this a nose angle thing, or do I need a lower release point? What can I do?

Watch some videos online on release planes. It sounds like now you're having a hard time getting it level. Pull straight across your chest and then you'll release on a level plane. From there, you can work on your technique for snap, x-step power, etc. But definitely work on pulling across your chest first. That will help you tons with leveling consistency.

Very likely weight shift, followthrough, and need of nose down and proper disc orientation.

I'd stick to the roc for now... graduate up to a leopard or something like that in a month or two (if you play through the winter or next fall if not)....

but yeah, do watch the vids... hunt through the threads here and work on stuff
honestly, there isn't a lot of help we can offer that will be helpful w/o seeing you throw
you could be doing a number of things off and it isn't so easy to guess and then we'll all give you good advice that won't help you
you could post yourself throwing...do that and it'll be a lot more helpful

my guess is that you aren't pulling across your chest and your snap isn't quite hitting it... you are probably throwing your disc instead of having your disc rip out of your hands... if you are throwing up to 20' or so you should still see some distance if you are getting the disc to properly rip out of your hand...

Last edited:
Sounds like nose up to me. Do a search for nose up here in the Technique thread, you'll probably find some good tips. I'm tired.

This^^^^^ I've had the same problem. There's tons of good advice here & on DGR to correct your problem.

Did you guys miss where he was only throwing it 15' off the ground? You can try what they are suggesting to correct nose up (It's worth doing regardless), but if it doesn't work you're going to want to try something else. This is that something else:

I'm guessing that you're not getting a ton of distance. What you're observing is fade that happens when the disc slows down. The reason it is happening to you so quickly is simply because you aren't throwing it fast enough.

Discs have a certain speed that they like to travel at. As long as they are around this speed, they go pretty straight. Once they drop too low, they cut left and "fade." The speed is different for different discs. You're probably able to throw your midrange well because you can generate the appropriate speed. The high-speed drivers require more speed and they immediately hook left if you don't give it to them.

Keep throwing the slower discs. You'll build up arm strength and snap and eventually you'll be able to handle the faster discs.

I'd stick to the roc for now... graduate up to a leopard or something like that in a month or two (if you play through the winter or next fall if not)....

but yeah, do watch the vids... hunt through the threads here and work on stuff
honestly, there isn't a lot of help we can offer that will be helpful w/o seeing you throw
you could be doing a number of things off and it isn't so easy to guess and then we'll all give you good advice that won't help you
you could post yourself throwing...do that and it'll be a lot more helpful

my guess is that you aren't pulling across your chest and your snap isn't quite hitting it... you are probably throwing your disc instead of having your disc rip out of your hands... if you are throwing up to 20' or so you should still see some distance if you are getting the disc to properly rip out of your hand...

agreed

jtencer pretty much nailed it. What discs specifically r u having problems with? The faster or slimmer the disc is, the higher the power rating will be. Like jtencer said, that basically means u have to throw it with more initial speed to get it to fly right. Even advanced players have a hard time with these faster discs/drivers. Stick with mids and maybe some slower or fairway drivers for now until u get your throw down.

I could be wrong, but I think that 15-20' off the ground is enough height on a distance driver to make it stall. Just because some people can get the nose down and throw higher, doesn't mean everyone can. 20' is pretty high and can be a symptom of nose up along with the stall and fade hard to the left.

I keep my drivers (beasts and wraiths now) to about 5-10' off the ground. If I get much higher, I get the nose up and the stall.

I could be wrong, but I think that 15-20' off the ground is enough height on a distance driver to make it stall. Just because some people can get the nose down and throw higher, doesn't mean everyone can. 20' is pretty high and can be a symptom of nose up along with the stall and fade hard to the left.

I keep my drivers (beasts and wraiths now) to about 5-10' off the ground. If I get much higher, I get the nose up and the stall.

15 to 20 feet off the ground, but how far out in front.....that is the question

15-20' is higher than you think, if he's throwing it initially at 15-20' and it's climbing up and stalling out, to me that sounds like the notorious n00b hyzer that's caused by nose up.

I mean it could be, but most noob hyzers I've seen are way higher than that. He still hasn't said how far he's throwing so everything is guesswork at this point.

I think I normally keep my surges between 10 and 15 feet on a hyzer-flip line. You can definitely throw them a lot higher than that without stalling out (uphill holes, etc).

I throw over the trees on hole 10 at Pease (It's always in the A location but the B location is the only picture on the course page now that I look at it and they're closing the course so it's not really worth fixing). Anyway, it's posted at 357' but I think it's shorter. I throw over some trees that are probably about 20' tall and usually overshoot it without stalling out.

The Roc goes 225-250. The others I am throwing are the Leopard, Eagle, and Sidewinder. These are all in that range, but, they are not immediately hooking left, they all fly the way they should (HSS right to start) but they are all in the 200-235 range.

I tend to think the nose is up upon release as right before they stall the nose does pull up sharply.

15-20' is higher than you think, if he's throwing it initially at 15-20' and it's climbing up and stalling out, to me that sounds like the notorious n00b hyzer that's caused by nose up.

Considering Warhammers only been throwing .1 years, I gotta think you're right. Hell, at that time in anyone's DG "career" I'll bet we were all throwing hyzer stalls. I know I was.

My advice, disc down and concentrate on your throwing style. Mids are your best friend right now. (With my wimpy arm, they still are mine.)

So you are getting turn? Are you getting turn because you're getting the nose down and the speed high enough or are you getting turn because of OAT or anhyzer release angles?

Latest posts