• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Oh good gracious I love comets. I lost my favorite one not too long ago... so I got 3 more in remorse. Anyone try jump putting an X Comet for super long putts? Money.

Ohh, can we post Comet pictures? Here are the ones in my bag:
081.jpg
082.jpg

083.jpg
084.jpg

This one is in the stash:
007-1.jpg

Too busy to take pictures of the rest right now.

Since the Comet is such a diagnostic disc... help me with this one.

I also bought a Comet for diagnosing OAT and my Comet throws go straight for 100 feet (30 meters) and then turn right or turn over into rollers. (I don't see this in my Buzzz or driver throws, but it does show up in my putters sometimes.)

I thought this was due to my follow through being too low, because I usually throw an unintentional air bounce, but it seems to happen even if my follow is high.

So, I assume it is wrist roll.

Am I rolling my palm to a downward facing position? What would you assume my wrist is actually doing?

Thanks!

Since the Comet is such a diagnostic disc... help me with this one.

I also bought a Comet for diagnosing OAT and my Comet throws go straight for 100 feet (30 meters) and then turn right or turn over into rollers. (I don't see this in my Buzzz or driver throws, but it does show up in my putters sometimes.)

I thought this was due to my follow through being too low, because I usually throw an unintentional air bounce, but it seems to happen even if my follow is high.

So, I assume it is wrist roll.

Am I rolling my palm to a downward facing position? What would you assume my wrist is actually doing?

Thanks!

rolling upwards.
Your palm is probably facing the sky as you finish.
Second. I'd guess your palm is facing up as you finish, not down.

Get a GLIDE....less lifty and more dynamical

dy·nam·ic (d-nmk)
adj. also dy·nam·i·cal (--kl)
a. Of or relating to energy or to objects in motion.
b. Of or relating to the study of dynamics.
2. Characterized by continuous change, activity, or progress: a dynamic market.
3. Marked by intensity and vigor; forceful. See Synonyms at active.
4. Of or relating to variation of intensity, as in musical sound.
n.
1. An interactive system or process, especially one involving competing or conflicting forces: "the story of a malign dynamic between white prejudice and black autonomy" (Edmund S. Morgan).
2. A force, especially political, social, or psychological: the main dynamic behind the revolution.

I am trying to understand what you mean.

Anyway, I think you missed some of the thread and how the Comet is also maybe the best form diagnosis.

So I just threw my new 170 X Comet today, and it's the coolest/most frustrating disc I've ever thrown. Seems like it can do a lot of things once you learn how to throw it. I do have a few questions though.

What's the regular distance you get from these? I can push my Buzzz to 270-300 regularly, is the Comet slower? I was scaling the power down today, and getting them to around 240' with one making it to 275'. (When I wasn't turning and burning)

When is it bad form? I was throwing with/against a small wind (10 mph) and throwing against it, I got a smooth anhyzer going the 240', I'm not sure if that's ok, or a bit of bad form.

BTW, Three Putt, that yellow comet is hot stuff.

The comet's a lot slower than a buzzz or core. Throw it slow with a lot of snap and the thing will glllllllliiiiiiiiiiidddddeeee for days. Great disc for cleaning up your form.

When is it bad form? I was throwing with/against a small wind (10 mph) and throwing against it, I got a smooth anhyzer going the 240', I'm not sure if that's ok, or a bit of bad form.

Give it time to learn it does a great hyzer flip to straight if you really want to cream on it. For shorter shots I always have to remember to slow my arm right down and plan the snap I need to control it. If you swing your arm as opposed to a flat reverse punch close to the body you will notice it will track anny a lot more often. Nose up fades, nose down turns.

The thing that I find most amazing with the Comet is the amount of arm and snap you can put behind it and still drive it dead straight and level, then throw it again on an anny or a hyzer and it'll damn near U turn. And the parking, when you throw slower and with less spin the disc tends to park softer, just not downhill.

Yay Comet!!

My fiance who lost her beloved Leopard last weekend was going through discs since she used that Leo for every shot asside from putting and she finally started throwing that ugly dirt colored Comet I found last year. Now she wants to dye it to make it look a little more apealing.

How well does Pro D dye?

The way people describe the Comet sounds a lot like the way people describe a Skeeter. Is a Skeeter like a faster Comet?

Doubt it.....plus the Skeeter's name is more lame.

Well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

Skeeters are like Comets in that they are midrange discs designed for disc golf. :\

Skeeters are faster, smaller, beadless, and a tad more understable. Comets are really neutral in stability, I can't really say the same about Skeeters. They'll both fill the understable slot for most DG'ers but if I had to play a one disc round I'd pick the Comet even though I love me some Skeeters.

And they look nothing alike, btw.

And they look nothing alike, btw.

I don't really go around looking at Skeeters but when I can say they feel a good bit different in the hand and the Comet is more of an Old School mold while the Skeeter IMO is designed for beginners when it comes to both feel and flight.

I don't really go around looking at Skeeters but when I can say they feel a good bit different in the hand and the Comet is more of an Old School mold while the Skeeter IMO is designed for beginners when it comes to both feel and flight.

You should, it's how I spend my Friday nights. :thmbup:
(The rest of your post had some NateDiscFlip-like gibberish to it, no offense.)

Threadjack: Isn't "Old School" mold sort of synonymous with beginners?

You should, it's how I spend my Friday nights. :thmbup:
(The rest of your post had some NateDiscFlip-like gibberish to it, no offense.)

Threadjack: Isn't "Old School" mold sort of synonymous with beginners?

When I am talking OLD School I mean the shape (basically large concaved rims)