• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I love my comet, I don't have to throw it hard at all, and just really snap my wrist, and it goes lazor straight or turnsover for a nice right glide If I want it too. My favorite mid right now.

Is it just the Pinot Noir talking or what not a FLX Comet be baddass?

I just got a FLX Buzzz, but I really prefer the comet at the moment. The main downside to a Comet is hitting trees on a tightly wooded course and having them glide way off line out into the thick ****. Something that isn't going to do that nearly as much would be great!

I carry a Z Drone, Z Wasp, Halloween Buzz, Storm, and Comet so I would have to say my mids are anything but minimalist. My Buzzz is slightly overstable but it is still what I use for soft turnovers along with the Storm. The Comet is more of a Hyzerflip to Anhyzer now.

Balls! You carry the Halloween buzzz too? I'm trying to get a back up, so it's sad to hear there's another follower :p

Just wanted to chime in and say all your Comet love swayed me into buying an X 168gm one today... and I love the Fuse/Drone combo I use.

/crossesfingers

enoy!.. i got them to really just help my form but once i started throwing them i couldnt stop.. then got a few ESP's and $$.. the elite z are nice too just lil beefier.. but yeah Comets ftw

I have been looking to get a few more Comets. I have a 177 Z comet that, compared to the others I found, was a bit less domey. I was looking for a replacement for my 5+ year old beat 180 KC Roc, and that was it. Very straight. With comparison to the amount of dome, is the Z that much different than X, or does it just depend on the run?

Also, I am looking to exclusivly move to Comets as midranges. Rocs are great, but it takes to long for me to get them to the sweet spot. I am trying to find a disc that is just a bit longer, and better in the wind. Would the Cyclone be a good disc to look at?

Yes, there's quite a bit of difference between z and x. If you are going strictly comets, you might need a heavy z for overstable duties.

If you like how a roc or comet fly, you'll likely enjoy clones.

yeah the z tend to be the beefiest of the bunch.... i throw the ESP and X. The elite-x i use for more anny type shots and will flip to straight.. if throw it nice and smooth i can get a nice straight flight out of it... the esp i can tug on a lil more and still get dead straight lines.. but you can make any of them pretty much do whatever you want. I have been thinking about snagging a couple elite-z's to mess with too but so far the comets have paired very very well with my rocs

If you like how a roc or comet fly, you'll likely enjoy clones.

I had heard this before in relation to the similarities between how the discs should be thrown to maximize their potential, and it wasn't until I picked up a stack of D Cyclones that I understood how accurate it was.

What I would like to know, and maybe someone could point me in the right direction, is what driving putter fits this mold as well. Now that I've developed decent form, I've really been having trouble on shorter (250ft and under) shots because I can't gauge how much to take off the Comet. It seems like I put no effort behind it at all, and the damn thing glides for days, and still ends up past the pin.

At current, I'm using an HPP Wizard as my driving putter, but as far as putters go, it's still decently stable and lacks glide. From all accounts I've read, the 2011 Ace Race prototype sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but I do not want to overpay for one at the moment, and was looking for something to throw in the interim.

Any suggestions?

That new proto disc that is used for the ace race this year is supposed to be considered a slower Comet. You'll have to wait to see if it becomes standard production, or weather or not that statement is true. I guess it is a larger diameter, say 22 cm.

As for clones, is the plastic stability between Z, ESP, and X similar to that of the Comet?

i had always heard the ESP Cyclones are similar to the Eagle-X .. or atleast i know a few that have switched back and forth on the molds so i assume they are close.. i dont really remember seeing many elite-z cyclones..

I had heard this before in relation to the similarities between how the discs should be thrown to maximize their potential, and it wasn't until I picked up a stack of D Cyclones that I understood how accurate it was.

What I would like to know, and maybe someone could point me in the right direction, is what driving putter fits this mold as well. Now that I've developed decent form, I've really been having trouble on shorter (250ft and under) shots because I can't gauge how much to take off the Comet. It seems like I put no effort behind it at all, and the damn thing glides for days, and still ends up past the pin.

At current, I'm using an HPP Wizard as my driving putter, but as far as putters go, it's still decently stable and lacks glide. From all accounts I've read, the 2011 Ace Race prototype sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but I do not want to overpay for one at the moment, and was looking for something to throw in the interim.

Any suggestions?

I'd pick up an Ion. Probably a soft one would be a good fit for what you're looking for.

Yes, clones and comets' plastic choices yeild simillar simillarites/differences, however z clones serioulsy lack glide. Esp break in to be like their original tp plastic.

Eagles and clones are simillar in that they turn and fade, but how they get there is different. The reason comets, rocs, and clones are simillar is that they take a slow, lofty flight, needing height to stretch their distance. While folks will suggest straight flying putters as baby comets, I'd actually find a challenger or bb avair more comet like then an ion due to its slow, lofty, turn then fade flight. The truest baby roc I've thrown is a sb avair- I believe omegas are the easist to get a hold of.

I have been looking to get a few more Comets. I have a 177 Z comet that, compared to the others I found, was a bit less domey. I was looking for a replacement for my 5+ year old beat 180 KC Roc, and that was it. Very straight. With comparison to the amount of dome, is the Z that much different than X, or does it just depend on the run?

Also, I am looking to exclusivly move to Comets as midranges. Rocs are great, but it takes to long for me to get them to the sweet spot. I am trying to find a disc that is just a bit longer, and better in the wind. Would the Cyclone be a good disc to look at?

grab a new KC roc for overstable duties, and use comets as the rest of your midranges. wont need to beat in any rocs and you wont be helpless when the wind starts blowing 10+ mph.

a cyclone is going to go significantly farther then a roc or comet, so it might not be the best idea to use as a midrange. lots of people think is is a tweener disc but I think that is a bad rap, they can go far.

^^^^ yeah i was trying to figure out if he was talking about using the cyclone as a mid or just curious about the cyclone in general.. but like you said the KC Roc/ Comet combo is sick. I carry various kc rocs then an elite-x and esp comet... havent really found a shot they cant cover.. yet :)

So I was hoping we could take a couple of those esp off the wall to compare stability based on color;)

I'll start with saying that my red (not pink) 175.4 flies more overstable then my light blue 174.8

Both were purchased new and fall in the 9/10 category. To my surprise, the blue's plh is slightly higher then the red's.

Latest posts