• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

How do most I you guys throw the comet to get it to go straight?Flat? Or hyzer?

I have trouble with it just going off to the right too much, and with it's amazing glide it keeps going into the woods lol.

I have a 174g Z that you throw straight = go straight, but my ESP is super flippy and basically needs to be hyzer flipped up for a straight shot over 225ft. I imagine the X Comets fly fairly similarly to the ESP.

You might want to switch plastics, if that doesn't help you are doing something that is causing it to anhyzer.

I have trouble with it just going off to the right too much, and with it's amazing glide it keeps going into the woods lol.

Flat. Beware of flat Comets, they can be flippy. Domey Comets handle power amazingly well if you can keep it clean.

Hyzer or anhyzer with height. My 177 ESP (reg. production) is a bit of a flat Comet. She flies 'beat roc' lines, flipping to flat then drifting right and landing flat, if not a tiny fade. I have domey Z and 3rd run LE ESP that can be thrown flat and hard and clean, but that's what Buzzzes are for, IMO.

The second run ESPs (the last of the tooled ESPs) were pretty flat. I even had a couple yellow Zs that were horrible flippy. Definitely one of the very few molds that I prefer domey.

Yeah some (not all) Cryztal comets leave the hot stamper puddle topped and they are turds. Nice smooth even dome on a comet is my preference.

I love domey 3rd run LE ESPs. You can really crank on them hard and they just go straight. Of course they hold the sweetest hyzers and anhyzers you ever did see too.

Domey is where it's at with Comets. Domey X's, Domey ESPs, Domey glow Z's et al. Oh yeah.

I like my flatter Comet after using it for a while, especially since my Meteor doesn't turnover in the 250' range, goes dead straight. I can get the Comet to drift at that distance and even a little of that "late turn" when I hit the right angle. Great for surgical 2nd shots and threading needles at distances where i might throw a putter on a more open shot.

I find the more stable ones overlap with my straight/lighter Buzzz and Meteor (which I use more like a Leopard than a mid). I like 'em but I'm already at 6 mids.

I like my flatter Comet after using it for a while, especially since my Meteor doesn't turnover in the 250' range, goes dead straight. I can get the Comet to drift at that distance and even a little of that "late turn" when I hit the right angle. Great for surgical 2nd shots and threading needles at distances where i might throw a putter on a more open shot.

I find the more stable ones overlap with my straight/lighter Buzzz and Meteor (which I use more like a Leopard than a mid). I like 'em but I'm already at 6 mids.

I know what you mean.

For me though, The only understable mid I have in the bag is an old, worn 3rd run ESP. It turns over on a dime now, and is capable of some crazy shots. I still don't hesitate to power grip it and throw it hard if I want to, but it pretty much always turns over unless you throw it with a lot of hyzer (also an awesome shot to throw). I have another 3rd run beat to a turnover too, so I'm pretty comfortable with my Comet cycling situation.

Did I mention it's great from a stand still too (the ultimate really)? I aced with it June 2012, May 2013, and I'm looking for my 3rd ace with it for the third year I'm playing seriously too. Hopefully in July, to add to the set. I'm on the hunt for it.

I have two domey Z Comets which I don't like much in terms of feel in hand (I'm used to flat discs). I also have X Comet which is bit less domey but flies pretty much identicial with Z Comets unless I crank it hard when it flips easier than Z. I just obtained one ESP Comet also which is completely flat. Its somewhat more sensitive than others, but not overly flippy.

I have been playing with minimalistic bag Aviar - Envy - X Comet - S-PD (for overhand shots), but I feel that is too mimimalistic.

On calm conditions I can throw my Comets around 80 meters straight or with some turnover, but in my home course there is quite a bit of wind, often together with large elevation change. For example one hole is 184 meter long with 30 meter elevation change in first 80 meters or so, and flat after that (downhill skiing route on winter). There is almost always headwind or crosswind, and OBs on both sides (fairway is quite wide but still it's easy to fade or turnover to OBs).

So I'm wondering what would be a good stabler midrange with good windfighting abilities which would compliment Comet? Or should I just try to learn to throw Comet on windy holes also?

Something along the lines of a Roc would be a good complement for a Comet. Comets are not built to fight wind, with their large diameter and neutral stability. Discing up to a driver would also help to cut through the wind better.

Or should I just try to learn to throw Comet on windy holes also?
Probably an exercise in futility (although your form will be immaculate if you can dial it in).

Windy days = Comet stays in the bag.

A champ Roc3 is a great wind disc. After they beat in a bit they start to lose fade.

If you have the room to let it catch the wind and carry, or keep a light, high anny into a R>L cross wind, the Comet can fly just fine in some wind.

If you're not throwing it in tailwinds, you're clearly a silly person. They just sail.

Are there two different comet molds? I have a couple of older z's that don't have any tooling and just picked up two newer ones, tourney stamp and a glo. The two newer ones both have the comet name tooling in the rim. The ones that have the tooling are both less HSS and LSS.

I've been playing for about three months now (i'm a newbie) and was practicing some tee shots at my course and a guy waiting for his buddies was watching me and said: "here try this disc".

it was a beat in ESP Comet. It seemed very flat topped (compared to my champ roc3).

It was a curious looking/feeling disc, almost like a mini/snubbed nosed driver, but large diameter-ed like the roc.

I throw the comet from the tee from standstill using a power grip at about 70% and it sailed nice and straight about 250ft.

I'm immediately curious, run and get my other discs on the field with his and ask if I can throw it again and this time with a little 3 step run up/and 70% effort and its straight and glides around 275 feet (in front of the 290ft hole).

I thank the guy and talk a little about the disc and eventually play some doubles with him and his buddies that show up. The whole time playing I was really itching to ask if I could try throwing his comet again during the doubles match...but I was afraid of shanking a throw into a tree and also wanted to just focus on the doubles game with these new nice guys who let me play with them.

*I know its just two throws with it, but I ordered an x-comet and will be trying it out a lot this weekend.

*when I asked him about the disc I came up with an uninformed conclusion about the ESP comet. I just assumed that his ESP comet masked some bad form and flew straight and glide-y like that. But when I got home I google searched info about the comet and it turns out it that the comet (especially the esp plastic) was unforgiving of bad form.

I can't wait to try it out a lot more. Hopefully my newbie form is pretty good from my small sample size of two tosses.

So I'm wondering what would be a good stabler midrange with good windfighting abilities which would compliment Comet? Or should I just try to learn to throw Comet on windy holes also?

I keep a Roc3 for this purpose and also have a Wasp for the net step in stability beyond the Roc3. Today I was facing a headwind at 20mph and chucked the Wasp dead straight.

My X Comets got a lot of work on my jaunt to Sandy Point earlier this week. Threw them on 80-90% of the tee shots. So easy to work on any line and such easy distance. I was throwing smooth and backing off some power and I was shaping all sorts of clean lines from 200' to 275' (maybe longer on some holes and that's really long for me with a mid). Glad I bagged them again, because my form has cleaned up enough I can shape any line with them assuming moderate or less winds (although I do love a heavy tailwind with a Comet!). Especially loving the looooonnnng, sweeping hyzer you can get out of Comets.

For a more OS complement I use KC Glow Rocs, which I just call my headwind Comets. Any wind to stiff for a Roc, I just disc up to a premium plastic Teebird or maybe even an O-Lace, as I have joined the "very OS mids are pointless" side of the argument.