• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I had to log in (been a while) to voice my disappointment in not being able to grab a sparkle Z comet, but then I log into sunking just to check and they had one left. It was purple, not my favorite color, but I got it anyway.

I always feel like a weirdo talking about comets to most people because I feel like I am trying to get them to join a cult. I have so many comets in different plastics, and I always try and give them away just so people can try them out. Most of the time it doesn't stick and they just say they don't like it.

I tried the MJ Z tour series comet for a while but it was too "gummy", but I really do love the MJ ESP Glos even though it is a bit more stable than other comets I have thrown.

Just chiming in to say I am a long time follower of the Temple of the Comet, it really isn't a cult though right?

I got a comet the other day, after I finished a round of league I decided to give it a throw to see how I liked it. I loved how it felt in the hand and it flew amazing... Then went into the woods and it was too dark to find. I went back two days later and looked again and never found it. It was going to replace my Mako3, but oh well...

I got a comet the other day, after I finished a round of league I decided to give it a throw to see how I liked it. I loved how it felt in the hand and it flew amazing... Then went into the woods and it was too dark to find. I went back two days later and looked again and never found it. It was going to replace my Mako3, but oh well...

They aren't scarce if you want to get another one.

They aren't scarce if you want to get another one.

I am going to Play it Again tomorrow to look for a Comet and a flippy fairway (still don't know which one yet). However, that brings me to the next question, what is the best plastic to get the comet in?

I am going to Play it Again tomorrow to look for a Comet and a flippy fairway (still don't know which one yet). However, that brings me to the next question, what is the best plastic to get the comet in?

I believe that was asked somewhere previously in this thread and every plastic was mentioned as somebody's favorite. I just did field work and I could pick a Ti, Z, ESP or X and be happy. It's more about dome really, the flatter Comets tend to be less stable. X will also beat in quicker than premium plastic.

My opinion, take your pick and check the dome. I'm going with my 174g Z for now.

...what is the best plastic to get the comet in?

IMO, the best all-around plastic is ESP. It has a great combination of stability, glide, grip, and durability.

Having said that, I almost always carry X, ESP, and Z in my bag. They all have their own uses and I love them all.

If you aren't looking for a mixture of the qualities and you want to prioritize one, then here are the strengths of each:

Grip: depends on how naturally moist your hands are, but I find X the grippiest

Glide: X tends to have the most glide for me. ESP isn't that far behind.

Durability: Z all the way

Stability: domier is more overstable, but Z tends to start out the most overstable in my experience.

Mixed up the bag for fun. Put my first X Comet and a 3rd Run ESP. Almost don't need a Roc.

Are you throwing a Wasp instead of a Roc? I find that I need a mid that won't turn much, but has little to no fade either quite a bit, but then again most of the holes I've been playing lately are 200'-275' and straight.

Is this you first experience with X?
I hear ya on the Rocs. I still keep at least one in the bag, though

It's not just my first X Comet...it's my first Comet.

I actually bulked ordered my 3rd run ESPs from Discraft directly because I couldn't find anyone willing to sell me a second run, and I'm glad I did. I think it might be my favorite run of Comets. I've really enjoyed throwing them again. Still prefer Rocs.

And since I don't think I've posted this in a few years...in case you don't believe me. ;)

Comets2.jpg

Are you throwing a Wasp instead of a Roc? I find that I need a mid that won't turn much, but has little to no fade either quite a bit, but then again most of the holes I've been playing lately are 200'-275' and straight.

I used to throw Wasps but am happy cycling Rocs now. I just put a couple Comets that I thought would fill the most thrown spots in my Roc cycle for fun.

Honestly, if you're looking for straight in that range, you're in the right thread. :D

Given your previous story.. Glow Z all the way!!!!!!

Actually personally I like my glow Z 174.. Reasonable stability, flatter top that kinda mellows the "Z" ness out. Not the glidiest Comet but very utility as Comets go, durable etc and I use it for glow rounds.. A lot!

I don't always play glow Discgolf but when I do, it's always with a Comet.

I used to throw Wasps but am happy cycling Rocs now. I just put a couple Comets that I thought would fill the most thrown spots in my Roc cycle for fun.

Honestly, if you're looking for straight in that range, you're in the right thread. :D

My 177+ Z that is domey, still turns on me, especially if there is a slight headwind. I know my form is quite torquey, but until I can iron it out, my "2.5" Roc slot is currently unfilled, which is my most thrown mid slot. I need to change my sig, since only the mids are somewhat accurate.

Latest posts