• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

0c5fadef0356a794545cf1068c1d2ce1.jpg
this one is AMAZING! I woulda dropped cash if I had seen that one too!

Now former Buzzz thrower here. I traded a driver I wasn't throwin anymore for a beat 173g Big Z Comet today. Played a round with it and now I understand why people love them so much. If I were to get another comet to compliment it and replace my buzzz(s) for straighter to slight hyper finish shots, what should I pick up? A Z comet? Same weight? This one definitely likes to go right.

Now former Buzzz thrower here. I traded a driver I wasn't throwin anymore for a beat 173g Big Z Comet today. Played a round with it and now I understand why people love them so much. If I were to get another comet to compliment it and replace my buzzz(s) for straighter to slight hyper finish shots, what should I pick up? A Z comet? Same weight? This one definitely likes to go right.

I have an MJ swirly esp that is pretty straight/stable. Finishes left where my flow z finished right.

I wouldn't go with a Comet only mid lineup if you play in much wind. The beefiest Comet will get pushed around by wind. They'll also go very far with a tailwind.

I bag a pair of beefy DGA Quakes for os mids. Maybe I'll keep 1 buzzz in the bag too.

I wouldn't go with a Comet only mid lineup if you play in much wind. The beefiest Comet will get pushed around by wind. They'll also go very far with a tailwind.

I was going to say the same thing.

Most people don't have the skill to only carry Comets. I still have a wasp and a drone in the bag as complimentary molds.

I bag a pair of beefy DGA Quakes for os mids. Maybe I'll keep 1 buzzz in the bag too.

Most people don't have the skill to only carry Comets. I still have a wasp and a drone in the bag as complimentary molds.

I bag one or two Comets and a Quake as well. Still waffling between the Buzzz and Wasp, currently Wasp.

I agree. I carry a Wasp and A Stari as my compliments. X Comet(My current goto) is too straight to flex or turnover in the woods. It was easier to only carry Comets when I was using Ti's

I carry three ESP Comets and a slightly worn SP Quake. This works well for me. I will also power down on a fairway sometimes depending on the situation to cover things between my comets and quake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am throwing the Kastaplast Gote to compliment my comets and it has been working out quite well. It has more HSS and LSS for sure.

Like VictorB I also bag a Drone and Wasp to go with my Comets (18' MJ and an X)...I've changed or tried so many mids over the years but nothing will ever replace a Drone. One beat and one fresh, eventually I'll do the same thing with Wasps since I've only been throwing them a couple months. Every time I throw a Drone I think of that damn Discspeed thread lol

For those unaware, and looking for something to do/read, Are overstable mids pointless?

Like VictorB I also bag a Drone and Wasp to go with my Comets (18' MJ and an X)...I've changed or tried so many mids over the years but nothing will ever replace a Drone. One beat and one fresh, eventually I'll do the same thing with Wasps since I've only been throwing them a couple months. Every time I throw a Drone I think of that damn Discspeed thread lol

For those unaware, and looking for something to do/read, Are overstable mids pointless?

Wow, 72 pages on that thread. Can you give me the summary of why I do or don't need to drone or why I should add a wasp?

I'm surprised you bag Wasps as long as you have been throwing Drones. You have to have some beat just right. The one Drone I bagged started losing some stability and started muscling in on my Wasp's flights. It's why I looked at the Zone.

Wow, 72 pages on that thread. Can you give me the summary of why I do or don't need to drone or why I should add a wasp?

Funny, only 18 pages for me (40 posts/page master race!):cool:

Pointless side of the argument, you can power up on an overstable putter or more importantly power down on an overstable driver to cover the shots an OS mid would excel at. They go as far as saying a Zone is unnecessary when you could just power down a Firebird/Predator. Point is also directed at less skilled players, the "pointless advocates" tend to agree discs in a pros hands are...different to say the least. One of the main talking points is wind - super windy days and [OS] mids get pushed around. A driver in their eyes is less likely to.

Not pointless side? I'm one of them [Drone]. I prefer to throw a more consistent power level, though I absolutely power up and down on molds, but I don't plan on throwing a Firebird both 30% and 100% in the same round...I'm less consistent that way. Mids skip less generally (I LOVE intentional Drone skips, have 2 aces with them and tons of metal hit) and tend to drop/die on flex lines better than drivers. Sure an overstable driver can fall from the sky but they're more prone to last minute skips than say a Gator would produce. Something I feel that goes overlooked is power players. I have more separation between an Aviar/Roc/Teebird/Orc/Destroyer than players who don't throw as far which is fine - not bashing them. That said, if my Roc>Teebird is a difference of 100' but yours is only 40' wouldn't it make sense I might need something inbetween? Forget the stabilities or molds I just mentioned, the point being I can utilize an extra mold in my analogy.

One of my questions was always, why try to minimalize one mold out of your bag? So you can carry 37 Rocs and 19 Wizards but glob forbid you have 1-2 Gators in your bag? MADNESS!

I'm all for minimalization, especially for newer players, but there comes a time and understanding of your own game where that isn't beneficial. Guaranteed I could beat half the users on here with just a Comet, but that doesn't matter - I need to beat Grip with the Comet. Couldn't care less about what you or my friends or my siblings score, I need to beat myself. To do that, I've slowly transitioned back to maximalist - currently have in my big bag Cannon/Xcal/Firebird/Thunderbird/Valkyrie/Roadrunner/Teebird/Drone/Wasp/Comet/Cobra/Berg/Clutch/Rattler.

Clutch/Comet/Teebird? Better. Throw in a Valk? Even better. Firebird? And so on...

I'm surprised you bag Wasps as long as you have been throwing Drones. You have to have some beat just right. The one Drone I bagged started losing some stability and started muscling in on my Wasp's flights. It's why I looked at the Zone.

Lol, yeah I have a few perfectly beat Drones, one especially (08' Worlds FLX I threw since I got it). The deeper, small diameter Drone just flies differently even if I were to give it the same flight numbers as Wasps. Hell I even tried to get a Pro-D Drone cycle going...gave up on it rather quickly. I don't hate on base plastic and I'm a huge advocate of tuning your discs, but there was just something oddly finicky about them I could never master. Anyway, yes my beat ones and fresh Wasps definitely have some overlap. A fresh Wasp on a solid anhyzer might never come out of the turn, or it just might last minute. A beat Drone still will and that's where i appreciate them the most. Especially with flex FH shots where the fade is more abrupt due to the lack of spin produced.

Could I get by without the Wasp? Sure. Do people actually need 5 Rocs in their lineup? I digress. Whatever works for us...I would rather have x2 Comets, x2 Wasps, X2 Drones than 6 Drones from fresh to dog toy.

Most people don't have the skill to only carry Comets.
I resemble this comment. :\ I can easily throw all-Rocs but all-Comets is above my pay grade. I've had a Sentinel mixed in with the Comet line-up for ages.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off throwing only Comets. Not just mid lineup, but instead of drivers too. Probably score just as well and have more enjoyment.