• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

To spite you all I'm throwing two sexes... he's.. F##* autocorrect.. Hex's tonight!

P.S. :) I got 8 beer left. Fire away.

...Yesterday was a good day. Went by my favorite shop in Tulsa and they got their DC shipment the day before. The jackals had mostly cleared out the popular stuff already but I was able to dig through a stack of 8 fresh Z Comets and picked this domey 177g beauty. Got my flippy Comet needs covered with some recent purchases, so I was able to justify getting another stable backup. Kinda feel like ThrowafreakingEnvy with my Comet picks in the last 45 days....

Edit - and it was only $16.99 plus tax ��
I forget what it cost, but I bought one in May under the same circumstances: store just got a DC shipment and I suddenly had a stack of eight Z Comets to choose from.

picture.php

My Comet-stealing daughter has an MJ Comet with this kind of stamp, so I picked it up for her. She lost it on like the 5th throw. :\ I went back three times and we eventually found it. She says it's no good and doesn't throw it; I need to steal it and see what it flies like.

The dumbest development was this bag:

picture.php

Her bag broke right before her birthday and we lucked into this; she loves it. The disc in the front of the putter pocket is an ESP MJ Comet she has never liked. She put it in the bag because she said the colors matched the new bag. :| She took Comets she liked out the bag and put this one in even though she didn't like it because of color coordination. So now she throws it and it flat bombs for her and I'm wondering why she didn't like it.

Basically I'm not taking her word for it that the Z Comet is no good.

The kid got a couple of ESP Stratus from the Ledgestone drop and she doesn't throw Comets nearly as much as she used to. She's not my doubles partner anymore, so her not throwing Comets that much works for me.

My Comet-stealing daughter has an MJ Comet with this kind of stamp, so I picked it up for her. She lost it on like the 5th throw. :\ I went back three times and we eventually found it. She says it's no good and doesn't throw it; I need to steal it and see what it flies like.

Her bag broke right before her birthday and we lucked into this; she loves it. The disc in the front of the putter pocket is an ESP MJ Comet she has never liked. She put it in the bag because she said the colors matched the new bag. :| She took Comets she liked out the bag and put this one in even though she didn't like it because of color coordination. So now she throws it and it flat bombs for her and I'm wondering why she didn't like it.

"No good" means it wasn't color coordinated with her previous bag. The other previously bagged Comets, which no longer fit the new color scheme, are now "no good". Priorities.

"No good" means it wasn't color coordinated with her previous bag. The other previously bagged Comets, which no longer fit the new color scheme, are now "no good". Priorities.
She gets her color coordination from her mother, whose general color coordination skills can only be described as "chaos". :| At one point the living room was bright yellow, the kitchen and dining room were lime green and the hallway was a deep red color; I called it the Hacienda House and told people we bought it from the owners of a TexMex restaurant.

All of those colors have long-ago been painted over and I kinda miss the Hacienda House. :\

At any rate, my daughter's current Comet line-up is also chaos. Her go-to was a grey/green '17 MJ Z; there was nothing wrong with it but she benched it for a purple '21 MJ Z this spring. She's stopped throwing the purple one and now the go-to is that '19 MJ ESP, but the purple one is still in the bag. She also has a '20 Ledgestone color shift Z in the bag; when she throws it she announces "Prepare for disappointment" because it just never glides and I don't know why she has it in the bag. Last year her Comets were that grey/green '17 MJ Z, an ESP Whale Rider and a '20 MJ Z. None of those are in her bag anymore.

Her boyfriend throws with us; he has her original pink Z that she stole from me (I bought two pink Z's from Broken Shoulder because he's dumb and was selling Z Comets) and her '20 MJ Z. Either she's a lot more generous with her golf discs than I am or that relationship is a lot more serious than I thought. :(

Fun Fact: She says X Comets feel "icky" and has never thrown one. :rolleyes:

She gets her color coordination from her mother, whose general color coordination skills can only be described as "chaos". :| At one point the living room was bright yellow, the kitchen and dining room were lime green and the hallway was a deep red color; I called it the Hacienda House and told people we bought it from the owners of a TexMex restaurant.

All of those colors have long-ago been painted over and I kinda miss the Hacienda House. :\

At any rate, my daughter's current Comet line-up is also chaos. Her go-to was a grey/green '17 MJ Z; there was nothing wrong with it but she benched it for a purple '21 MJ Z this spring. She's stopped throwing the purple one and now the go-to is that '19 MJ ESP, but the purple one is still in the bag. She also has a '20 Ledgestone color shift Z in the bag; when she throws it she announces "Prepare for disappointment" because it just never glides and I don't know why she has it in the bag. Last year her Comets were that grey/green '17 MJ Z, an ESP Whale Rider and a '20 MJ Z. None of those are in her bag anymore.

Her boyfriend throws with us; he has her original pink Z that she stole from me (I bought two pink Z's from Broken Shoulder because he's dumb and was selling Z Comets) and her '20 MJ Z. Either she's a lot more generous with her golf discs than I am or that relationship is a lot more serious than I thought. :(

My Comets have changed recently too, maybe I should go back, but those '21s fly so nice. My MJ JB kicked the Elite X out, and I think that one's going on the wall at this point (I need to actually finish my wall, but not while working 55+hrs a week).

Can you elaborate more on this workhorse '17 of her's? I've got an unthrown matching pair, but I'd throw one if it's got the right flight. Ideally something in between my '21s and my CT JB would be nice. I want to kick the Meteor back out.

Had my old friend throwing a flatter hot pink stock ESP today, I gave him a reasonably small bag but all he wanted to throw was that with the occasional worn Pro Valk. Even putted with it mostly. Long story short it ended up just being me and him, his first time in 10 or so years. Tried to give it back to me I told him to keep it, he was stoked.

Lol. Broken Shoulder stopped posting so now when I get cranky I take shots at you and your "flat" Comets. It's all in fun. For me, at least. :|

Maybe Jay Dub finally got his revenge for that super serious DGCR snit awhile back. Probably pretty easy to make someone disappear...especially if they only got one arm to defend themselves. :p

Back on topic. I got like 4 Comets total. I have no experience with them really. Was rotating a couple stock Z's. Bought a stock ESP, which I gave to my wife for some unknown reason, and she's throwing it great. Streets hooked me up with a ESP, so I got one in the bag now and it's buttery butterness. I need more. :hfive:

Can you elaborate more on this workhorse '17 of her's? I've got an unthrown matching pair, but I'd throw one if it's got the right flight. Ideally something in between my '21s and my CT JB would be nice. I want to kick the Meteor back out.
Everything I say Comet-related has to note that we are weenie arms.

The '17 she has (and the '17 I bag) are just stable They are a tick more HSS than a stock Z so thrown flat they don't really turn. They glide like a Comet should and they don't have much fade. You put them on a line and they just ride that line.

The '18 I throw is a bit more OS; you can crank on it a little bit and it holds up in the wind better. I would say it doesn't have the glide except I've hit it a few times and gone "oh, there's the glide" so it's user error. The '19 I don't remember much about except thinking "meh" and the '20's gave conflicting feedback (had one that was beefy and one that was flippy) which could be the case for all of this due to sample sizes of 2-4.

The '21's when I tried them reminded me of the '17. Just stable, holds any line you put on it...basically copy the Discraft description of what a Comet is suppose to fly like and paste here. The only reason it didn't go in the bag was because I have a '17/'18 combo still in the bag along with a seasoned sweet turnover Z and a light flippy little bugger Z and I just didn't have a need for it right now.

I mostly play a park-style course and COVID has really killed my wandering; I may never hit enough trees to need to replace that '17. :(

Quoting myself: -2,473 Interwez.

The Z Comet is fine. It has a little itty bitty early turn; it flips up and then rides out with minimal fade. I bombed it on wide-open hole; there was a little tailwind and I put the damn thing out past where I usually throw a Valk. :( So it's the real deal. My daughter just has all these MJ Comets, and they don't have that early wiggle, so she's all "It's flippy". :| It's not flippy. It's just a tick less HSS than what she is used to.

Basically there are good Comets, there are great Comets and there are magical Comets. Once you get enough magical Comets, I guess you can get a great Comet and go "meh". :\

I bombed it on wide-open hole; there was a little tailwind and I put the damn thing out past where I usually throw a Valk. :( So it's the real deal.

My home course has a long, gentle downhill par 4 that curves to the right. Normally I throw my most understable max distance driver. When there's no wind or tailwind, I'll just mash a Comet and 9 times out of 10 it will out-distance my drivers. It blows peoples' minds to see a Comet go 400-450 feet.

My home course has a long, gentle downhill par 4 that curves to the right. Normally I throw my most understable max distance driver. When there's no wind or tailwind, I'll just mash a Comet and 9 times out of 10 it will out-distance my drivers. It blows peoples' minds to see a Comet go 400-450 feet.
My home course is a Rec 9'er; 250'-350' from the reds and 270'-450' from the whites, all park-style shots. There are days with certain conditions where I can make all my drives on it with a Comet. Other days when the wind changes directions I can go all day and not throw a Comet once. Sorta weird how that works, but there is only one hole on that course where my disc selection off the tee is automatic (9 has a big pond to the right so Firebird, baby!), the rest of the holes are very wind-dependent.

I can't argue.
If I could still throw backhand I never would have sold them. I just can't jive with a Comet for forehand.

I miss my backhand mid lineup: KC Roc, DX Roc, Z Comet, X Comet. :(

Strange times.
My local shop had 5 discraft discs, 4 z comets and one z stalker. I thought, " should I buy 4 comets?"

Had these two old Zs in the bag today for the first time in a while. Almost hit a 322' ace with the one on 17 (maybe a foot right?)...I forgot how much I enjoyed throwing them!

FULL SIZE IMAGE HERE