• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Unfortunately I bought mine used so I'm not sure on timeframe. I know they have one of the old toolings though. They're not nearly as opaque as Grip's pic shows.

Last edited:
Walled Lake tooling on flight plate, nothing on the rim. X Started in 01 and Z started in 03, pretty sure they changed the tooling 07ish but I can't remember. I'd say 05ish?

Paging 3P:popcorn:

zvKU9k3_d.webp

Give me 2009 ish for the 3P pool.. Price is Right rules?

You're (more) right. They're definitely newer than my initial guess. Those blue Ron Russell's were 05:doh:

They look exactly like this X if you axx me.

Attachments

• 20180201_193045.jpg
    20180201_193045.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 36
They go back to that stamp. I have an old axx X Comet with that stamp and it's sweet looking. At least for some limited runs or something. Anything is better than the Ledgestone ones I've seen this year. :gross:

I got a call from the local PIAS telling me they had one of my discs. When I walked in, this was staring back at me from the used bin.

The rim is in perfect shape. I was happier about this than the disc I went in for.

attachment.php

Attachments

• comet.jpg
    comet.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 170
zvKU9k3_d.webp

Give me 2009 ish for the 3P pool.. Price is Right rules?
The red ones were sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice; the only one I have is yellow. :( I don't remember the time frame exactly but 2009 is waaayyy too late. 2005 is closer to my recollection.

The one I have I've noticed is all cloudy and crappy looking so I need to throw it before it falls apart in the basement. Damned Champ/Z plastic has about a 15-year shelf life it seems.

You're (more) right. They're definitely newer than my initial guess. Those blue Ron Russell's were 05:doh:
I thought the Ron Russells were more '02-'03? Hell, I don't remember.

Here is what I 100% for sure remember: The production-run Z Comet that has stayed in production with the stock circle stamp was first released as a tournament release by Sun King for the '08 Player's Cup. That was a Winter event held in Florida and the discs came up for sale between Thanksgiving and Christmas of '08. I remember this precisely; Hell hath no fury to compare with a wife who found out you just spent money on yourself for golf discs right before Christmas when you have eight and five-year-old kids. :| Then in the Spring of '09 a regular production run dropped, I know this because I got a third Z from that run and when our local course opened on Labor Day in '09 I hit the cage on #7 with the yellow Z that I got from that run with the first throw I took on that hole and I STILL have never aced it. :\

So I could have avoided the whole episode if I had been patient. I wasn't patient because the Z Comets with the X Comet stamp were looonnnggg gone by '08. Like distant memory gone. Like "Oh, I had one and traded it after I threw it for a year; I would have kept it if I'd known they were never making any more" reminiscing gone. So to me '05 is the better fit. Maybe '06, but that's about as late as I'd go.

Walled Lake tooling on flight plate, nothing on the rim. X Started in 01 and Z started in 03, pretty sure they changed the tooling 07ish but I can't remember. I'd say 05ish?

Paging 3P:popcorn:
To my knowledge the Walled Lake tooling stayed on the Comet until the patent number fiasco in 2011.

My total guess on this is that the Wixom tooling on the side of the rim served two purposes: a) they had moved and b) the then-new Z plastic was translucent so you suddenly could see the tooling through the disc. The original 4-point stamps were very minimalist and that tooling showing through would have messed with the whole look.

The Comet didn't go into production in Z during the 4-point era. Once it did go into production in Z, the tooling lined up under the circle stamp so you still didn't see it.

picture.php

So there was no pressing reason to change that tooling. It only became a problem because it had the patent number, so when the patent number lawsuits were flying around they did away with it.

Another possibility is that they had two cores and I just never saw the Wixom one in use for a long time. I say this because the Z Cyclones from the 4-pointish era (I don't think any Z Cyclones were technically 4-points, they just still had that minimalist stamp) had Wixom tooling on the rim, but when the ESP Cyclone came out in 2010 they had the old Walled Lake tooling. So anything is possible.

I don't think that was the case because the Comet for a few years after the patent number fiasco had no tooling (think third-run LE ESP Comets). That makes me think they didn't have a Wixom core to transition to.

Basically all I saw was Walled Lake tooling on the bottom of the flight plate up to 2011, no tooling from 2011-2013ish and the Wixom tooling on the rim 2013-2014ish to present. And that's all I know about that. :|

Pulled from the Innova thread:
You throw Comets like, what, 400' plus? You get no sympathy from me :D

Parked a 390' hole today with one of those red Z Comets and couldn't resist posting. Island green, outside the stone is OB.

Here's the 340' short tee picture:
680a4e8d.jpg

Yeesh that's pretty and a pretty long throw. What kind of comet and how much hyzer?

X stamped Z Comet from a number of years ago posted above (or back a page or two if you're only on 10 posts/page settings)...RHBH with swirling winds so I didn't truly know where it was blowing. Maybe 8'oclock or so release? Slight nose up and some height, it just popped to flat and stayed that way until the last 30' or so of the flight - very subtle little fade.

X stamped Z Comet from a number of years ago posted above (or back a page or two if you're only on 10 posts/page settings)...RHBH with swirling winds so I didn't truly know where it was blowing. Maybe 8'oclock or so release? Slight nose up and some height, it just popped to flat and stayed that way until the last 30' or so of the flight - very subtle little fade.

I'm a little jelly
1.) I cannot yet through a comet 390'
2.) I love discs stamped as other discs

Elevation? Surely you can't throw a Comet 400' on flat ground?
I'm a little jelly
1.) I cannot yet through a comet 390'
2.) I love discs stamped as other discs

Them'r really X Comets, Grip don't know his own Comets. 😁

Elevation? Surely you can't throw a Comet 400' on flat ground?

Them'r really X Comets, Grip don't know his own Comets. 😁

Maybe downhill slope of 5'-6' most? Could be less I'm honestly not sure.

I don't do it often but yes I have, given the wind (or lack thereof) is reasonable and there isn't a ceiling. On shots that distance I usually throw a driver but certain circumstances just call for certain discs. I was feeling the midrange today and it worked it my favor...isn't always the case lol

So I threw the heck out of my 21 MJ Z comet on the weekend! Fared well in the tourney, It only let me down once when it went too straight, well and the the time it went a little far.. And there was the time it missed the line but went dead straight down a tunnel a few feet right but that was a good birdie! Well a little greasy but a bird's a bird.

Latest posts