• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I screwed up my elbow when I tore a ligament (I think, it does not affect my daily life in any way, only when I try to throw really hard backhand, so never got it actually checked). Now I cannot fully straighten my right arm. If most people can fully straighten their arm (lets call it 180 degrees just for simplicity) mine only goes to 170. I can throw at about 75% of what my max was before my injury and experience no pain. Occasionally if I push it, I can get up to about 80%, but I run the risk of hurting my elbow again (temporary for about a minute but can be quite painful). Outside of surgery for which I cannot justify for being slightly better at my hobby, and probably not even then, I will never be able to throw like I used to do.

Long story short, the Comet allows me to throw so much easier without a considerable loss of distance. I threw it before for a controllable turnover mid and throw it now for my do any shape mid flights. I do struggle with getting the height correct, but that is just a practice issue. I think I would recommend the Comet to anyone starting disc golf later in life or who has injury issues. I won't encourage my son to throw it, but would a friend around my age who is starting out.

Last edited:
What do yall throw in the stable/overstable slot to pair with a comet? I've tried rocs and didn't love them. I've learned I'm in the camp of throwing mids like putters. I have an Emac Truth that has nice stability, but I have to throw it harder than I like to. I want a disc I can throw into a headwind and trust it to not flip but still fade.
I've been pairing BuzzOS with the Comet since around 2015. A friend gave me a cryztal sparkle BuzzOS from the 2015 memorial around that time and it was a perfect pairing. I picked up a stack of back ups and it hasn't left the bag since.

Before that I used Z Wasps as an overstable compliment to the Comet. I even played around with the Gazelle in that spot, but it wasn't overstable enough and they were getting harder to find backups of.

I've recently put comets back in the bag. "Throw the comet like a putter" this statement has help out my comet game tons. I took it out of the bag because I didn't know how to throw it properly and only get good shots with it 1 out of 3 throws. But man those throws where everything went right the comet flew beautifully. This off season I commented myself to learn how to throw the comet correctly with more consistency. The biggest tip for my comet gains was to throw it like a putter. Makes sense since it's a old school disc.

I am wondering if anyone has thrown the Ledgestone 2021 run of Glow Jawbreaker Comets?
The idea seems like genius for winter but was hoping for a report before spending 60 bucks to get two.

I am wondering if anyone has thrown the Ledgestone 2021 run of Glow Jawbreaker Comets?
The idea seems like genius for winter but was hoping for a report before spending 60 bucks to get two.

Mine was pretty flippy out of the box. Like a fairly beaten-in X Comet, even with the flash still intact. So I'm guessing it will be very, very understable after a while.

I've recently put comets back in the bag. "Throw the comet like a putter" this statement has help out my comet game tons. I took it out of the bag because I didn't know how to throw it properly and only get good shots with it 1 out of 3 throws. But man those throws where everything went right the comet flew beautifully. This off season I commented myself to learn how to throw the comet correctly with more consistency. The biggest tip for my comet gains was to throw it like a putter. Makes sense since it's a old school disc.

I got mine back and same (except it's the user in general not the disc) -- the rare good throws are great and the bad ones are awful.

Mine was pretty flippy out of the box. Like a fairly beaten-in X Comet, even with the flash still intact. So I'm guessing it will be very, very understable after a while.

Did it glow at all? My old glo z and esp comets don't glow at all and it bums me out to bag a roc or gote instead

The Discraft glow is more of an assist to f ding your disc at dusk than it is a night golf glow.
Does anyone play night golf without lights anymore?

I was initially interested in the glow jawbreaker for the winter grip and the ability to beat one in to flippy The glow is an afterthought.

What do yall throw in the stable/overstable slot to pair with a comet?

I love Comets and they're quickly gobbling up lots of shots. I use max weight Buzzzes as the companion. They fade plenty at shorter ranges and the heavy ones hold up well in the wind. I like Hex but find it slightly more glidey and understable than Buzzz for this role. If it gets really windy I tend to move to a stable fairway driver like a Teebird.

0K8hP0RH

Great weather for disc golf here in Eastern NC. Gotta say these two are must haves in the woods here. Still getting back my comet legs but it's coming along greatly. I have to say the comet is the most rewarding disc to throw.

What do yall throw in the stable/overstable slot to pair with a comet?
I'm going Hornet, Comet, Paradox for mids right now. It's simple: Big fade, Hornet. Big turn, Paradox. Everything else, Comet.
Actually I have a 2nd Comet now that's heavier so that might become the main Comet.

I love Comets and they're quickly gobbling up lots of shots. I use max weight Buzzzes as the companion. They fade plenty at shorter ranges and the heavy ones hold up well in the wind. I like Hex but find it slightly more glidey and understable than Buzzz for this role. If it gets really windy I tend to move to a stable fairway driver like a Teebird.

I ended up going with the Hex and love it. Does exactly what I'm wanting them to do.

I was gifted a used ESP comet. Probably 7/10. The nose is bent down in one place. Definitely seasoned. It flies like it does for McBeth at 9 minutes 15 seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq10KVL16Fo&t=369s.

What am I doing wrong? If I throw it with a lot of height, and I mean a lot, on a flat release then it flies pretty neutral. Little turn and a little fade. Is it possible this one is worn in a touch?

Geez hard to say but if there's noticeable rim bendage than it could be weirdly understable. Especially front end. From what I see of PMcB it looks like he pulls his wrist around it to get some extra spin on it like it's a buzzz.

Can you control it with nose up or some hyzer? How far is it going for you?

Geez hard to say but if there's noticeable rim bendage than it could be weirdly understable. Especially front end. From what I see of PMcB it looks like he pulls his wrist around it to get some extra spin on it like it's a buzzz.

Can you control it with nose up or some hyzer? How far is it going for you?

Yeah I have to throw it nose up and stall it to keep it from going right. If I give it a lot of height on a flat release then it turns and if theres room it may flatten out at the end. Not really fade out. I can throw it with a ton of hyzer and get it to flip up and lock on target and glide for about 300 ft. That's a much harder shot to pull off though as it wants to drift right.

It's never going to go straight thrown flat unless you're MJ lol...definitely a hyzerflip to flat disc (worn ones like yours especially). Also depends on power level and grip.

Nose up was my first thought like TAE said. I haven't been throwing Comets too long and I still **** up throws with it (and any other mold) but you get the hang of it. The Buzzz lover in me needed to get back to my ultimate roots and throw it more like a lid.

I was gifted a used ESP comet. Probably 7/10. The nose is bent down in one place. Definitely seasoned. It flies like it does for McBeth at 9 minutes 15 seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq10KVL16Fo&t=369s.

What am I doing wrong? If I throw it with a lot of height, and I mean a lot, on a flat release then it flies pretty neutral. Little turn and a little fade. Is it possible this one is worn in a touch?

That's how my beat X Comet flies but that is what I want out of it. I have a Z Comet if I want it to go straight. Regardless, I always have to give my Comets some height (almost like a putter shot) unless I'm in a ripping tailwind, then I can throw it like my Buzzz.

Snagged this for $6 bucks at piag today. Stoked to throw it. I have an mj tour series comet that it pretty stable even after several rounds, hoping this will give me that mythical comet flight I keep hearing about

Attachments

• 909EDF79-B4A9-44E5-89A1-01E9885D14D6.jpg
    909EDF79-B4A9-44E5-89A1-01E9885D14D6.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 45