• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
So just ordered 6 ESPs since they finally arrived to our dealer, 2 orange, 3 reds and 1 yellow. Sadly we didn't get any watermelons, but I think those will do just fine. Can't wait to get my hands on em :p

I just received my first Comet a few days ago as a gift for showing a traveler around my home courses. I have only thrown it a few times but I really dig it! The one I got is X and seems a little flippy (could be seasoned, hard to tell with the color and bag wear).. Z plastic anymore stable??

BarkBuster said:
Z plastic anymore stable??
Yes, unless it's flat and on the lightweight side.
I actually consider the domey, max weight Zs to be too stable. I usually look for my Z Comets to be domey and in the lower 170s.

Jeronimo said:
I haven't found a non domey Comet from this ESP run yet. I've got Blues ones, watermelon ones, yellow ones... all domey as all hell.

All the ones I've gotten have been domey, nothing close to flat.

I have bean eating up the the heavy red and orange comets the most. This run just seems to be wonderful. I want to get more... anyone want my old runs?

I hope the awesomeness extends to 175 blue and red because at the time i ordered mine from the only store in my country carrying these that was the heaviest available weight. Hype machine test might happen tomorrow :)

JR said:
I hope the awesomeness extends to 175 blue and red because at the time i ordered mine from the only store in my country carrying these that was the heaviest available weight. Hype machine test might happen tomorrow :)

Sorry man, Pasi mailed me when they arrived and I snatched 6 of the 7 177g's and I think jubuttib got the last one :)

turso said:
Sorry man, Pasi mailed me when they arrived and I snatched 6 of the 7 177g's and I think jubuttib got the last one :)
So that's why there was only one 177g there when the store opened, grr :) I went there right at the opening time to pick up two of the domiest ones, blue 175g and red 173g. The final remaining yellow 177g wasn't quite as domey as the two I picked up, so that's why I left it there. Erno did mention that there were quite a few on their way to Kuopio.

vto said:
turso said:
So that's why there was only one 177g there when the store opened, grr :) I went there right at the opening time to pick up two of the domiest ones, blue 175g and red 173g. The final remaining yellow 177g wasn't quite as domey as the two I picked up, so that's why I left it there. Erno did mention that there were quite a few on their way to Kuopio.

How stable do the 175g ones fly?

turso said:
vto said:
turso said:

How stable do the 175g ones fly?

Hopefully more HSS and not more LSS than my 177 Z Comet. The earliest mine could arrive is tomorrow.

I was able to snag this one recently

5827047498_6c36675b95.jpg

It's definitely esp and not z. It's dayglo not yellow like the pic looks. It's not a third run because it has toolling on the bottom. Feels a bit firmer than the few 2nd run esp's that I've seen. It's pretty close the same plastic they used for the torque.

Dump truck said:
I was able to snag this one recently

5827047498_6c36675b95.jpg

It's definitely esp and not z. It's dayglo not yellow like the pic looks. It's not a third run because it has toolling on the bottom. Feels a bit firmer than the few 2nd run esp's that I've seen. It's pretty close the same plastic they used for the torque.

I have 3 in regular ESP and 3 in that stiffer shinier ESP that you just pictured. Do the stiffer ones fly any different? They do feel almost like an ESP/Z blend.

The red and orange ones are indeed DOMEY, all my 177g+ marked were either 180g or 181g. The yellow ones are tad flatter, but still domeyish.

My Comets and sidekicks arrived. 175 ESP Comets that is a red and a blue. The blue was laying on top of the red in the box i got in the mail and the flight plate of the blue one was sucked down. Innova paper pieces have an important function. Overnight the blue had returned to almost match the height of the dome on the red. In flight the blue flips more easily than the red. Both have fade unless they are thrown so low that it limits distance.

My best line drive was 330' but i had no repeatability over about 280-290'. Until i switched to approach form and i got too few of those to really learn the power/initial hyzer angle combinations for different distances. I threw over 310' that way too but every 10' extra after about 270' gave a different hyzer requirement. It is easy to throw hyzers and annies with these but a straight shot is difficult. I threw 100' approaches BH and FH compared against an XD and Comets faded later, more slowly and less because every angle change happened in 2x slow motion vs the XD. It is easy to get 300' and not too difficult to get a little more but where it goes nobody knows. I like these better than other plastics overall though. I think i have to order from abroad to get max weight ones.

Anny they drop fairly fast but on hyzers they glide like crazy. I can put full power on these when i'm throwing hyzers and they move insane amounts from right to left. When i attempt straight and anny shots full power ain't an option now. I gotta get more familiarized to see if i can tame these. I had great results with many shots but the consistency ain't there and varying power makes life difficult when i'm going past 80 %.

OTOH 80 % XD goes obscenely far for the effort. The trouble for me is that the XD is nipping at the heels so near and like the Comets start to change initial hyzer requirement fast past about 240' and when flipped to flat at high power i got it to 300' often. 290' with the best approach form throw. Winds aren't great for either if it is not rear quarter. Glide when tilted is a major advantage for Comets. That is also a major weakness when i miss the intended line because at high power the Comets can glide 80' off easily.

I did the non athletic thing 3 hours into practice and changed my style to approach form to see how the discs fared and damn i may just have to change style to a more conservative approach and do physical training in a gym instead. Boooriing :) But the results are great. I just might be able to play more fresh from now on. It's not like i've gotten short term gains or even really good progress over the years from ripping as many shots as possible hard to develop the muscles and nervous system. Bleeping Comet forcing me to throw sensibly :evil: Where's the fun in that? Damn you Discraft damn! Now i gotta get heavier ones for keeping one in good new condition. Probably at least one to see if there's appreciable advantage in heavier weights. Well i do need to train powered down approach form Lat64 Spike and Pure shots too and a worn 175 DX Ranchero and a broken in Z Buzzz worked well too powered down. That is my punishment for futzing so much with grips to make Wizards not flip to about 250' from a flat throw. Over that i need a degree or two. Other discs worked fine too.

Comets in ESP are making waves and i need to test other discs to see how much i need to change my bag because of them. Darn Discraft making such fine addictive, rewarding but fickle and punishing discs. Do i have to learn to throw now to tame the damn things? I've half tamed Ion and Wizard and Rancheros and especially KC Rocs are no problem and i'm pretty happy with KC Aviar too. Options, options, options...

fun read. I'll address what may be the obvious. Beat in the Comet a little and it will go straight for a very long time. Also I think there is a large learning curve to the Comet. As I took a brand new 177 Cream one and threw it on straight lines all over The Ponds at Lakeshore in Michigan. Most of them for birdies. Every shot is fun with the Comet.

Every shot but the unintended flips. I have thrown Comets on and off for a couple of years. Two Zs and an X prior to ESP. The US shops i usually order from don't have any ESPs in stock :-(

Latest posts