• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Comet lovers

How many 3rd run ESPs will you buy?

Votes: 9 12.9%

Votes: 13 18.6%

• 10+... as many as my favorite store has in stock

Votes: 5 7.1%

• 6-10

Votes: 13 18.6%

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • all the pink ones I can find :)

Votes: 7 10.0%

• Total voters
Was recommended a Comet right when I started, but wasn't impressed with it. Got a couple Rocs and liked them. Brought the Comet back out this week and have decided it is much better than I originally gave it credit for.

Dbuntu said:
Was recommended a Comet right when I started, but wasn't impressed with it. Got a couple Rocs and liked them. Brought the Comet back out this week and have decided it is much better than I originally gave it credit for.

I did the same thing. Except for I didn't hear much about comets until I had already been playing for a while.

Hey all, just 9 months into disc golf has reignited my 20 years of Ultimate disc flight love. I read here before joining DGR that Comets were a good start for Ult players and got a 175 z comet. It didn't get much play until the six weeks or so as I have been diggin the 175 x buzz. I play a lot at Shelby Forest. The Forest has two 18 hole shortish courses and mids and putters work for 95% of my tree chopping throws. I've hit trees with bad intent within 50' off the tee and have played some single disc rounds with my z comet and its still stable. My z comet like turso discribed a few pages back has a gradual dome on the shoulder then goes flat at the circle stamp, so stable. I've gotten good comments on 275' low tunnel throws with less than 12' height at the apex that halfway down the remaining fairway start to slow turn only a few feet before a tiny bit of fade lands it flat with a short skid. The x buzz handles the long left tunnels, the z comet the straight, and I now thinking x comet for turning right tunnels?? Same 175 weight perhaps?? Thoughts??

I'm open to other discs as you can see I've got a bag full of 'em and am a paypal disc junkie(too many drivers...I know rookie move.) Just got the Pain and it goes far so I was considering trying out the Fuse but I've read some hear that the comet lovers are dropping the fuse for the comet??

Thanks to all that have shared their experience, knowledge and opinions here as I'm certain DGR has reduced my learning curve considerably. Also Dump truck your avatar is just wrong ha... don't change it though. Don't tell my wife but I'm thinking about getting one of these new ESPs after reading even though it may flight the same as my fav, yes no?

some people use the comet for straight and turnover duties. i carry a fuse for shots where a faster, flippier disc is called for. imho, theres room in the bag for both.

Yeah, there should be room for both the comet and the fuse. Fuse's a completely different disc and in my experience relies much on the nose angle on how much it wants to turn, I couldn't get a proper handle on the thing after the winter(last summer I had NO trouble getting them go straight as an arrow to 300-330), and then I tried the comet and fell in love.

The X-comet indeed will be a good turnover disc, but not out of the box. my 177g X had to be beaten something severe to get it to turn properly over and hold it.

I might actually try putting the fuse back in the bag just for turnover duties, I use my Z and ESP comets mainly for straight shots. I'm not hating the x-comet though so time will tell, probably will take em both on the course and do the same shot with both discs for few rounds.

Dump truck said:
I was able to snag this one recently

5827047498_6c36675b95.jpg

It's definitely esp and not z. It's dayglo not yellow like the pic looks. It's not a third run because it has toolling on the bottom. Feels a bit firmer than the few 2nd run esp's that I've seen. It's pretty close the same plastic they used for the torque.

Yea buddy!

This is now my comet.

7ontheline said:
turso said:
I use my Z and ESP comets mainly for straight shots.

Anything the ESP does better than the Z, my newish Z is the most stable disc in my bag, ... looking for a some reason to justify the E$P purcha$e.

turns better, hyzer flips better, annies better. But will be about the same for a bit until it gets worn. Just trust me.

cfair said:
7ontheline said:
turso said:
I use my Z and ESP comets mainly for straight shots.

Anything the ESP does better than the Z, my newish Z is the most stable disc in my bag, ... looking for a some reason to justify the E$P purcha$e.

turns better, hyzer flips better, annies better. But will be about the same for a bit until it gets worn. Just trust me.

"Just trust me" okay we'll see ya'll ... happy father's day to Mesp.

My fondness of the Comet was shown yesterday as I spent about 30 mins or so looking for my Comet that was lodged in some branches.

Just got two more esps, light blue with white stamp. They are amazingly sweet. I was throwing them last night on a football field and consistently getting them out to about 300. These things are amazing.

Additionally, I love my X comet that is getting worn in. It will turn over way at the end of its flight for some lines that I haven't been able to get with anything else.

clard said:
Just got two more esps, light blue with white stamp. They are amazingly sweet. I was throwing them last night on a football field and consistently getting them out to about 300. These things are amazing.

Additionally, I love my X comet that is getting worn in. It will turn over way at the end of its flight for some lines that I haven't been able to get with anything else.

That is one reason that I love the X so much, it'll be nice when the ESP breaks in to that point....it'll stay there longer before it gets too squirrely.

Threw my x-comet against a birch that at full force. It was around 1 meter away from me. Now my x-comet is AWESOME for turnovers, really slow gradual turn, so unbelievable...

Discraft Pro Sarah Demar taught me how to use my legs/work the teepad better and she taught me about a nose up wrist roll that I had. These things increased my snap, power, distance and now all my comets are flying differently... its almost like it flies for 300 ft less than 10ft off the ground and flies exactly like the flight numbers on joe's flight chart... I had a lot of bummer shots with the Comet in the doubles game after the clinic...

I am sad because I like the Comet, but unless I can learn to get it to hyzer/go straight properly with this newfound distance I'm going to have to find a new disc...

cfair said:
Discraft Pro Sarah Demar taught me how to use my legs/work the teepad better and she taught me about a nose up wrist roll that I had. These things increased my snap, power, distance and now all my comets are flying differently... its almost like it flies for 300 ft less than 10ft off the ground and flies exactly like the flight numbers on joe's flight chart... I had a lot of bummer shots with the Comet in the doubles game after the clinic...

I am sad because I like the Comet, but unless I can learn to get it to hyzer/go straight properly with this newfound distance I'm going to have to find a new disc...
I would try a few things before getting rid of the comet... exaggerate the hyzer angle, add another mid to compliment the comet, alternate grips, etc... I'd personally would add another mid to compliment it first though before trying to make too many changes at once...

I take some of them comets off your hands if you ever get rid of em.

Latest posts