• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coming Together: DGPT Launches United Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does Olympic sports deal with this, track and field must have dealt with this question for MANY years
But ALL those atletes get tested all the time, guess Discgolf cant do that.
The IOC's rules were 10nmol/L of testosterone or less for trans women to be allowed to compete. Like any sport that isn't some backwater, the testing is handled by WADA, at the sport's expense. They changed the rules last year, to allow the governing bodies for sports to set their own rules banning trans women.

There's no reason whatsoever the PDGA and DGPT can't foot the bill for testing everyone. Instead, the trans players have to do it at their own expense ($260 per test, out of pocket because insurance almost never covers gender affirming care, or the maintenance thereof), and the cis players don't ever have to provide a test for anything.

This is a REALLY important point, and maybe overlooked. If the basis for inclusion is changed, it needs to be applied equally.

In my clumsy way of thinking, whenever it was that FPO was established, the basis of entry for FPO was "being a female" (my quotes). There was no concept (or consideration) of anything other than cis gender, right? (not saying this was right, just trying to characterize the past...).

If the basis for FPO qualification changes to something else - like testosterone levels - then anyone who doesn't meet the standard shouldn't be included, and everyone who does should be included- because the basis for inclusion has changed.

Sorry if this elicits "D'uh!" from those who have thought this through long ago.
As far as I know, Kelly Jenkins was the reason anything was added to the PDGA's eligibility rules for FPO. She's been playing FPO since 2014, so that may be when the rules first had anything specific to allowing trans women into the protected divisions. Prior to that it was just as you said. The player had to be a woman.

As far as I know, Kelly Jenkins was the reason anything was added to the PDGA's eligibility rules for FPO. She's been playing FPO since 2014, so that may be when the rules first had anything specific to allowing trans women into the protected divisions. Prior to that it was just as you said. The player had to be a woman.
A friend of mine in the Seattle area was playing PDGA events as a trans woman in FPO in the 1980's and 90's. There were grumblings from some of the players but the PDGA had no rules against it at that time to my knowledge and I know some were complaining about it back then to the PDGA. I'm sure she wasn't the only one. Just highlighting the fact that this isn't a new thing just that bodies of sports are just now starting to catch up to all of the out trans players.

If it's welcome I'd love to air things out. I'm very sensitive & sincere to point out that I'm not wanting to overstep into terrain where I shouldn't be, but if it's welcome somewhere I'm happy to be there.
I'd actually love to see this discussion, and I don't want to sound like I don't, but we've been having a lot of productive conversations about the trans inclusion issue here lately, and they've pretty much all ended up with locked threads, because the conversation gets derailed into other things. A new water cooler thread about science, and the practice thereof?

I'm learning a lot from you and mostly just listening. I'm still trying to figure out what the "glass half full" attitude Spring is talking about and "separate but equal" perspectives mean here & to you or Natalie or Nova etc. I'm also still trying to figure out what that means in the context of the FPO women who have issues with transgendered inclusion and perceive that it's an intrusion/fear stimulus/unfair etc. into something they wanted and felt they needed in a male-dominated society. I'm curious about your/others thoughts about that.

None of what I'm writing is intended to be leading comments or questions, even if that is how some of it came across.

*One of my favorite topics in all of science, ethics, and philosophy is relevant here: When is "informed consent" really informed, and really consent? Is there even answer to that question? Don't worry, there are hundreds of pages of arguments and studies on that, too.
I can't speak for Nova, though Natalie and I were both sitting on my couch cringing at the DGPT's announcement.

Spring's words are utterly bogus, when it comes to speaking for the trans players. Trans players were told what was going to happen, not asked if that was okay, or for any input, and the input given when it was made clear what the plan would be, was unwelcome. All of this talk about this being a collaborative process between all parties is a lie. I was privy to the single conversation that was had with Natalie about it - a 10 minute phone call from Paige, asking her to be okay with it. She said, rightly, that there was no world in which a trans player should ever be expected to be okay with that. That was it. That was the only time there was interaction. When Natalie tried to voice opposition to the idea, or when I offered suggestions for alternatives to the few people who I know how to contact, our words fell on deaf ears. No other trans player has, to my knowledge, ever been consulted about the issue. Judging from the responses, Laura may be the only one who would've - but I wouldn't imagine so.

When he talks about "DGPT Tour Card players on both ends of the issue", he's speaking exclusively of cisgender women. His "glass half full" attitude ignores what exactly the glass is full of... His hope is that the trans players will be okay enough with some scraps, that we'll all just give up fighting against the ongoing discrimination in our sport, or at least on the tour. He's adorably naïve...

As far as the "separate but equal" comparison - I'm actually trying to walk people away from that specific phrase. It's a phrase with a history, and a lot of the trans community doesn't feel right about using something from the struggles of black people, for our own fight. There is a long and brutal history that black people were forced to endure, that trans people weren't. No matter how brutal our history is (and to be sure, there have been shameful things done to trans people individually, and as a group), we were never stolen from our homelands, and forcibly enslaved. What you're inquiring about, though? It's no more palatable to the trans community, than what came before it. In many ways, it's even worse, because of the manipulative actions Jeff Spring, Todd Rainwater, and the DGPT took in trying to sell it to the cisgender community as such a big win for everyone. They're acting like narcissistic abusers, in a very real sense. Withholding opportunities from the cisgender players, so that what comes after, even though it's still discrimination, will seem like a big win to them. The self-congratulatory pats on the back from not just the DGPT staff, but several FPO players, have been incredibly saddening to the trans players - and, frankly, insulting.

That said, I would like people to keep pointing out that the same words being used to advocate for the exclusion of trans women from sports are the same ones that were used to keep black players out, and women in general, in the past.

When the players like Hokom and Allen speak against our inclusion, they're speaking hate. They don't see us as women, they see us as men trying to steal from them. They see us as diminishing their femininity and womanhood, by appropriating it. They jump through ridiculous hoops semantically, to come up with more and more outlandish ways of addressing us that don't include the word "woman" or "women", because they refuse to believe we are women, no matter what the studies on our brains and other physical makeup pre and post transition say. My favorite so far is "chemically and or medically altered biological males". It's truly the most over the top one they've come up with, and even after a very long and honestly polite discussion of the realities of trans physiology, the person who said it (Discraft team member Sarah DeMar) still refuses to accept even the possibility that I might be a woman.

When it comes to the issues people like that have with my presence, I will educate where I can, and shrug off anyone who refuses to be taught. I will not engage in debate with someone who refuses to even acknowledge the basic truth of my existence. I've been able to successfully show many players first hand that what gives me the edge in play is 21 years of experience, not male puberty. That is a far better use of my time, than arguing with people who don't come to the table in good faith, in the first place.

Last edited:
A friend of mine in the Seattle area was playing PDGA events as a trans woman in FPO in the 1980's and 90's. There were grumblings from some of the players but the PDGA had no rules against it at that time to my knowledge and I know some were complaining about it back then to the PDGA. I'm sure she wasn't the only one. Just highlighting the fact that this isn't a new thing just that bodies of sports are just now starting to catch up to all of the out trans players.
Thanks for letting me know! I'll add that to my notes. If you're comfortable telling me her name, just so I've got one to put to future discussions, I'd love a DM. If not, no worries.

Thanks for letting me know! I'll add that to my notes. If you're comfortable telling me her name, just so I've got one to put to future discussions, I'd love a DM. If not, no worries.
Sent.

It was fairly widely known that your friend was playing at the time. (I knew it and was in Virginia.)

More local to me there was at least one trans woman competing in Amateur divisions around here several years prior to Natalie. Most people did not know it and she was not very good at disc golf so no attention was drawn to it.

Final warning, name calling will result in the loss of ability to communicate in this thread or future threads. This is directed to all, not one specific person.

League Of Legends Lol GIF by G2 Esports

It was fairly widely known that your friend was playing at the time. (I knew it and was in Virginia.)

More local to me there was at least one trans woman competing in Amateur divisions around here several years prior to Natalie. Most people did not know it and she was not very good at disc golf so no attention was drawn to it.
Us in the pacific Northwest are always amazed that someone has heard anything about anything going on up here, we feel very isolated so that's surprising. When I met someone in California who knew Soundgarden and Nirvana I was blown away not knowing they were very popular all over. Anyway I digress.

When he talks about "DGPT Tour Card players on both ends of the issue", he's speaking exclusively of cisgender women. His "glass half full" attitude ignores what exactly the glass is full of... His hope is that the trans players will be okay enough with some scraps, that we'll all just give up fighting against the ongoing discrimination in our sport, or at least on the tour. He's adorably naïve..
In the end the SC will end this. Who's naive?

Final warning, name calling will result in the loss of ability to communicate in this thread or future threads. This is directed to all, not one specific person.

This thread has been informative and civil, in my opinion. I see the few spots that might be of concern, but I'm not sure it's name calling (if you're talking about posts that identify certain players or officials).

I will agree insofar as it's always dangerous to characterize the mindset or motivations behind others' actions. But I hope this thread can continue - and understand that it's up to everyone who posts.

This thread has been informative and civil, in my opinion. I see the few spots that might be of concern, but I'm not sure it's name calling (if you're talking about posts that identify certain players or officials).

I will agree insofar as it's always dangerous to characterize the mindset or motivations behind others' actions. But I hope this thread can continue - and understand that it's up to everyone who posts.
Nah, I called a name. Greens deleted it. It's all good.

Was a post deleted? I don't recall seeing any name calling. Not saying it didn't happen. Just curious

OK, one question I'm not clear about based on the rest of the season...

Are there DGPT or PDGA events during the remainder of the year that Natalie (or others) will NOT be allowed to compete in? (Admittedly she or others will be competing in something designated "Unified", but I don't understand if there are places/events that will still exclude her entirely - a DGPT or PDGA event that has FPO but not Unified...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts