• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Common Plateaus, Issues, and Breaking Through Them

I have read this thread for the past couple of years every so often, and it is uncanny how accurate this is. I am able to consistently throw low 400s from a standstill, and I know my brace is one of the final keys here.

I have put off learning the x-step, but I am starting to think that the x-step might make bracing more natural. Mechanically, I don't see how the x-step contributes power in and of itself, but I think maybe the motion makes getting fully braced easier.

But ugh, thats a whole new can of worms I don't know if I want to open.

Chiming in on this gem years later to acknowledge how helpful it is. I do wonder about the "flinging forearm" versus using shoulder distinction. For me, the flinging forearm was the piece that unlocked distance. My elbow seemed to abruptly stop and unhinge like a trebuchet and launch the disc. But this seems to indicate that that is not the ultimate goal. I'm interested in hearing more about the distinction between the "flinging forearm" and using the shoulder.

I'm stuck at 400 feet, in my backhand. I can throw maybe 30 feet longer if i put a little bit of an anhyzer with my rive, or just hyzerflip my octane. I maybe know why i have stuck to this distance, i have been stuck at something about 330 feet in last summer, then i quickly learn how to use my legs etc. now i have thrown this summer something about 450 foot shots, but at this kind of distance, i had to concentrate at 100% to the vertical bracing and i found quite difficult to do the vertical brace at right force and right time. When i go through my x-step i just had to have more courage to come for the brace and then i had to make an triple extension with my bracing leg and this had to be perform just the right time, then disc leaves my hand with some serious speeds, but it doesn't always succeed. But when i manage to brace correctly and i manage to do the triple extension at right time and at suitable force then i can throw quite far, but it is not very consistent right now, maybe next year it is... :D

I'm stuck at 400 feet, in my backhand. I can throw maybe 30 feet longer if i put a little bit of an anhyzer with my rive, or just hyzerflip my octane. I maybe know why i have stuck to this distance, i have been stuck at something about 330 feet in last summer, then i quickly learn how to use my legs etc. now i have thrown this summer something about 450 foot shots, but at this kind of distance, i had to concentrate at 100% to the vertical bracing and i found quite difficult to do the vertical brace at right force and right time. When i go through my x-step i just had to have more courage to come for the brace and then i had to make an triple extension with my bracing leg and this had to be perform just the right time, then disc leaves my hand with some serious speeds, but it doesn't always succeed. But when i manage to brace correctly and i manage to do the triple extension at right time and at suitable force then i can throw quite far, but it is not very consistent right now, maybe next year it is... :D
I am 5 months playing, and max about 275' now, so keep in mind you drive further/better than I do. IMHO, when you have a max that you hit rarely, you just keep playing and practicing. Gradually, you hit that max more often, get the form needed for it more consistently, and eventually hit a new rare max even a little bit further. So, get that brace and triple extension you talk about (that I know nothing about) correct more often, more consistently. Then decide if you want to search for the next key to improving even more. Keep in mind, at 400-450', you are already in distance territory few of us DGers will ever reach. Not long ago I was at 225' max, and 300' seemed impossibly far away to me, and now my rare best is 275', and I seem to be having a new longest throw on at least one hole every time I throw a few rounds, and 300' seems like just a matter of when, not if! Lastly, I say just don't get too caught up in the destination, and make sure you enjoy the journey!

Great post! Very helpful. I've been playing for around 10 years. I used to contribute a lot over at DGR about 5-6 years ago when I was really playing a lot. They helped me get to the 350' plateau using the Beato drill, etc. IIRC they weren't talking about bracing at all back then, and I was totally lost on how to get my hips and legs more involved.

Then I moved overseas and stopped playing for 5 years, with only a few casual rounds on vacations back to the U.S. So I've effectively been stuck at the ~350 plateau for 5 years! Now I'm back into DG and trying to learn proper form for real. The goal over the next year is to start hitting 425' and more importantly to be hitting my lines and eliminate grip locks and slips.

Thanks to HUB, SW22, slowplastic, et al for really helping me understand these concepts. I feel like it might actually be possible to break through this plateau.
Test

Bit of a necro-post, but seems like it's fine to prod this every year or two. 😆

The original post resonates with me, but subtract 100' from each plateau. The problems described under The 300' Barrier (nose up, grip lock, lack of any consistency) were at The 200' Barrier for me, in my first six months or so of playing. I've now played about two years, I've practiced a lot, read a lot, started to film myself, and I'm beginning to get a handle on what good form means and how to improve mine. I'm working on brace timing, brace strength, and shoulder coil, and gains are slowly coming. I occasionally break 300', and I want to do it more consistently, but it's not easy.

For me at least, strong arming doesn't seem to get me to 300, and that's ok. I'm tall, coordinated and fit, but also 55 years old and have never been coached as an athlete (though I've played 30+ years of recreational ultimate).

Over the past two years my backhand progression has been something like ...
Frisbee throw - 125'
Drive with elbow - 150'
Start the lawnmower - 180'
Replace coffee pouring with correct placement of disc into palm - 200'
Footwork and x-step - 225'
Reach out not back, delay the pull - 250'
Shoulder coil - 275'
Don't turn backwards, brace more strongly - 300'

Currently if I throw 5 drivers in the field I may get one out to 300, and my record is probably 330.

I feel like I will get to a consistent 300 working on the things I know now. Here are notes I made after my last field session on all the little things I need to internalize ...
- relax and throw smooth
- feet perpendicular to target line
- brace foot down before pull
- shoulder coil, left shoulder to target
- reach out not back
- more hyzer than usual
- leading elbow higher than hand
- forward lean for space for power pocket
- back heel move right, to avoid spinning out and enable slam into brace

If I can get to a consistent and accurate 300 I'll be happy to plateau there for a while. I dunno how y'all are getting to 400 and beyond but that's a problem for future me (or maybe younger you). 😅

Chiming in on this gem years later to acknowledge how helpful it is. I do wonder about the "flinging forearm" versus using shoulder distinction. For me, the flinging forearm was the piece that unlocked distance. My elbow seemed to abruptly stop and unhinge like a trebuchet and launch the disc. But this seems to indicate that that is not the ultimate goal. I'm interested in hearing more about the distinction between the "flinging forearm" and using the shoulder.
I'll take a crude crack at answering this hoping somebody else fills in the gaps because I was also quite puzzled by this at one time.

The flinging forearm is the active extension of the elbow driven by your rotation

Using the shoulder is using well... the shoulder and back muscles to further drive the flinging forearm faster.

I'll take a crude crack at answering this hoping somebody else fills in the gaps because I was also quite puzzled by this at one time.

The flinging forearm is the active extension of the elbow driven by your rotation

Using the shoulder is using well... the shoulder and back muscles to further drive the flinging forearm faster.
Still always recommend starting with this concept and then adapting/tweaking as needed because people have so much trouble doing it to a disc. Turn the task into the same thing you do with the arm and body for any other athletic task: