• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

competitive round

short memory

This advice came from a 60 yr old man who won an open division with guys alot younger than he was. He also got a new putter for a players packet and used it in the round; THAT HE WON! He said "the best skill in disc golf is not your drive, short game, or even your putting; it's having a short memory"

This advice came from a 60 yr old man who won an open division with guys alot younger than he was. He also got a new putter for a players packet and used it in the round; THAT HE WON! He said "the best skill in disc golf is not your drive, short game, or even your putting; it's having a short memory"

That is probably what I struggle with the most. I'm too focused on everything else besides the shot in hand.

Well, yesterday I just played each shot individually and had someone else keep score so I was paying attention to the numbers, and I tied my best round for that course!!!!

I played my first tournament last weekend in my home town i was all worked up about it at first like most of the first round (all short baskets) then realized that this is the same course i play as much as possible .... there being other people there didn't matter i just want to beat the course not the other players... after i realized that my second round was way better with it being all in long spots wound up taking 4th

I think you've gotten a lot of good advice so I'll try and summarize everyone's points for you.

-Play the course, not your cardmates.
-Play to your strengths. (If you know you can putt better than everyone else on your card than use that to your advantage.)

A good summary, but these two points seem to contradict. If you are playing the course, not your cardmates why does it matter how you putt in relation to your cardmates? If you are a strong putter, putt strongly regardless of how strong the others on the card are.

Try to play more competitive rounds than casual rounds. You will get more used to the slower pace and competition. Also keep a steady outlook on your round. Keep the highs not too high and the lows not too low.

Many people have posted some great things.

A lot of times during tournaments I'll be put with some good people,but sometimes you have people so serious you would think they were being payed to play.

During these times when the people on your card will not cut up or will not try to have a good time I'll put some music in. Music keeps me from having to worry about the buttheads on my card and lets me focus more on my game.

It was, wherever your disc lands, imagine that's where the designer put the tee, and figure out how you would best play the hole from there.

My first thought is "Genius". My second thought would be "Why in the world would the designer put the teebox 35' of the fairway up in the woods?" lol I joke but that's great advice...........jb

My first thought is "Genius". My second thought would be "Why in the world would the designer put the teebox 35' of the fairway up in the woods?" lol I joke but that's great advice...........jb

In that case, consider yourself the course designer, and resolve to have a strong word with yourself after the round.

That tip from Carlton (?) has helped me often over the years. Unfortunately, way too often.

Absolutely. I always tell people that there's nothing you can do about the shot you just threw. It's done and over with, so there's no point in dwelling on the previous shot whether it was good or bad.

The only thing you can control is the next shot, so it should be what gets 100% of your attention.

In that case, consider yourself the course designer, and resolve to have a strong word with yourself after the round.

That tip from Carlton (?) has helped me often over the years. Unfortunately, way too often.

lol............:hfive:

There is a chapter on fear and expectations in the book "Golf Is Not a Game of Perfect" by Dr. Bob Rotella. You don't need to buy the book, just go to a book store and read the chapter. I don't remember which chapter it is but it's somewhere in the middle of the book. If you think pressure gets to you sometimes, this chapter is the only information you need.

The idea of not trying to track of your score helps me.

In my last tournament, I felt like I was playing worse in the second round than I did in the first. We were playing from the tougher set of tees and it was getting hot, so I felt like I was struggling. But I kept plugging along and at the end of the round was stunned to find that I had actually shot one better in the second round. I was so surprised that I double-checked and then checked again. Just keep playing one hole at a time and let the score take care of itself.

Headphones and whatever you call sweet tunes..for me it's a long play list of Kid Cudi and Mac Miller, sometimes I'll listen to PsyTrance.

This bit of advice has helped do wonders for my tourny play:

Only attempt the shots you know how to make. In other words, during a money round is not the time to try something you haven't really learned yet.

And

Take a stroke to save a stroke. In other words, don't try to be a hero with a low probability shot. Don't turn a par or bogey into a double bogey.

Hope this helps,

Rick G

I took a disc golf trip a few weekends ago and my wife, who doesn't play, tagged along. She walked along with me taking pictures and we bull****ted as I played. Towards the end of the day, I realized I had been playing at the top of my game, and I wondered if having my attention on my wife in between throws contributed. Having only the next throw in your head can help a ton.

It reminds me of this awesome RA Dickey (a pitcher) interview in which he said that he turned the corner as a player shortly after almost drowning. After that, he was no longer troubled by the last pitch or fearful of the outcome of the next.

All this is easy to say and hard to do, but finding a way to not dwell on how you're playing, whether it's abysmal, lights out, or in between, can really help. It's what I'm currently working on improving during competitive rounds.
This works.
I had a new GF show up at a local *tournament one day and I won that local tournament. I have always thought I played as good as I did because I was a bit more nervous about her being there than I was about my golf game.
Another *tournament (and another GF) I went to was a 3 round-one day PDGA tourny. I had no bogies and shot three 49s.

*This was back in the day when the Cobra was the main driver.

Just dont think, it works really well. Just get up and throw your shot

Latest posts