• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Complete loss of confidence/the yips?

Sometimes you just have to start over with the fundamentals. When this happens to me, I go back to the short tees like I'm just learning the game again. I put all my high speed drivers away and start out throwing off speed mids and fairway drivers, gradually increasing speed as I re-learn how to throw again. You might find after a while that some bad habits have crept into your game without you realizing it. Good luck. :thmbup:

Word. Take a little time off. At least a week. Then try and mix it up somehow, throw a 2 or 3 disc round, something like that. Try and focus on having fun instead of playing your best. Itll come back.

That would be my suggestion too. Plus, after a short break, only having a couple of discs, you'd likely be surprised at how much that can get you to focus in on your shots, instead of just running through the motions.

put down the discs for a bit and go play some darts or billiards. or build some furniture.
field work may help, but personally I have to do something completely different to shake myself out of a rut.

I've had this happen to me and I'm FH dominate myself. What I did to get out of the rut was change up my driving posture. Instead of squaring up to where I was aiming at I turning 90 degrees like a baseball player and slowed my drive down. I believe that gave me a greater range of motion and allowed me to develop some good muscle memory which gave me some much needed confidence and experience with reaching back further when I drove. Since then I've mainly transitioned back to squaring up with the target but as I said before I'm reaching back further now without it seeming uncomfortable.

As in remove from bag and car so as to avoid temptation... drop to speed 9 and down discs and throw what will just barely reach the basket with perfect form. If that doesn't get it in a week, drop to speed 7 and down. After you're feeling good, add faster discs back in slowly.

I have to do these tune-ups every year or so... you'll thank me later.

I'm a newb when it comes to disc golf, but I studied drums and percussion in college, and would often get the yips with my practicing. My teacher told me, the best thing for that is to temporarily give up whatever it is you're struggling with, put it away for another time, and go back to the basics. Do what is fun and you know you can do well. Build your confidence back up with the simple things. Time away to get out of your own head helps as well. Think about anything other than whatever it is you are doing, for however long it takes until you begin to miss it. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Take a little break.

Don't overthink it.

Grab a driver and a putter and play an easy, open course.

Laugh at mistakes and move on.

Latest posts