• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Continuous Acceleration!

sidewinding

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I have discovered one of the secrets of the Pro's and have even given it a cool name. I'm sure it's been talked about before but I never picked up on it until now. It has helped me break 400' with a Teebird and I'm old and overweight.

The mistake I have been making is I've been trying to get my arm up to speed as soon as possible at the beginning of the pull-through and then sort of maintaining that speed through the "hit". The secret is to really focus on accelerating slower but once you start accelerating, keep accelerating into the follow through. If you really focus on continuous acceleration the results will be dramatic. You will hear a loud snap. your discs will fly much smoother than normal, possibly due to the added spin.

This is why some people can throw Roc's 450'.

did that come from the climo/feldberg dvd?

i heard about this same thing from their new dvd. i had never thought of accelerating slowly and gradually speeding up, employing more muscle groups as you go until i watched the video. haven't got to practice this, or other things that i learned from the video due to the weather, but looking forward to giving it a try.

my teebird only goes about 260ft, maybe this will add some more distance to my throws.

good info!

did that come from the climo/feldberg dvd?

I don't think they ever say anything about "don't stop increasing speed until after the disc is gone" but they should have. They say to practice with a towel and accelerate at some point after something crosses your shoulder which is similar to what we've been hearing at discgilfreview.com for years but that never helped me and the towel thing will ruin your elbow.

The key is continuous acceleration and since the pull though only last for a second or less you really have to focus to make it happen.

I have discovered one of the secrets of the Pro's and have even given it a cool name. I'm sure it's been talked about before but I never picked up on it until now. It has helped me break 400' with a Teebird and I'm old and overweight.

The mistake I have been making is I've been trying to get my arm up to speed as soon as possible at the beginning of the pull-through and then sort of maintaining that speed through the "hit". The secret is to really focus on accelerating slower but once you start accelerating, keep accelerating into the follow through. If you really focus on continuous acceleration the results will be dramatic. You will hear a loud snap. your discs will fly much smoother than normal, possibly due to the added spin.

This is why some people can throw Roc's 450'.

I will have to try this out, thanks. I love your quote though about being old and overweight. I guess you're trying to make all us younger guys look bad.

Wow, I thought I would never see Eagle on this forum. Feels almost as good as being a silver level reviewer....Now I need the gold reviewer and ace forum. =)

Acceleration is key. This isn't some little helpful hint to try to get you to throw right. It's something that's fundamental. You have to be accelerating, not moving, accelerating the most right afterthe hit. Most people reach maximum acceleration about halfway through their pull through and are slowing down by the hit. One of the main purposes of that Dan Beato video is to get you accelerating at the right time.

I don't get the Dan Beato video because it's all about waiting until the disc gets to your right pec to start accelerating. I just can't do that. I need the full pull through from the reach back to continuously accelerate for maximum armspeed.

I had a great drive last night where I felt that snap. When I think about, the acceleration felt exactly the way you describe it. Thanks again. Now I know what to focus on.

a lot of good discussion in this thread. i will definitely be trying to focus on making this happen. i only throw around 280ft avg, so anything to help get a few extra feet off of the box.

yeah I have been trying to work on all this speed and stuff lately..went to the football field today and threw it about 10 yards short of the other goal post on most of my throws...alot better since when I started...I was messing around with my forehand and was aiming at my bag at the other end...well..needless to say it went past my bag and slide under my car which was parked about 40ft away from my bag :-D

Honestly, I think I accidentally discovered this yesterday. I was throwing some practice and was not getting any distance. So I slowed down my x step and tried to really accelerate my arm and focus on my follow through. It helped.

yea i do the same thing...when i slow my x step i find that i can focus on doing more things correctly if i speed it up i get no distance and im very inaccurate

I don't get the Dan Beato video because it's all about waiting until the disc gets to your right pec to start accelerating. I just can't do that. I need the full pull through from the reach back to continuously accelerate for maximum armspeed.
The whole drill is designed to do a couple things. First, it demonstrates there the maximum acceleration should occur (after the right pec for a RHBH throw). That's where you need to focus your power. Once you get the feel for that, adding steps from the hit back allows you to figure out how to get from the beginning of the x-step to the end while still moving through each position you need to be in to get that maximum acceleration. This will allow you to incorporate your larger muscle groups and get that extra oomph needed for farther throws.

So, you will definitely sacrifice distance when your throw from the right pec or eliminate steps. However, being able to limit your distance by doing that is another useful skill.

I have discovered one of the secrets of the Pro's and have even given it a cool name...continuous acceleration ...

A Russian mathematician worked out the principle of continuous curvature which helps make stealthy surfaces (low signal return) that are curvy rather than faceted...look at the difference between the B-2 (smooth) and the F-117 (I don't know how this thing even flies!).

Anyways, yes, this makes great sense, and I also agree that it is what is most important. It will also force you to align your body so that you can continue to get acceleration later on, which is how you can add even more distance. Your shoulders will need to be opened more toward the target before the snap, you'll need to get your hips into the action, etc..