• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Coolest League You'v Ever Been A Part Of

ncbrett92

Bogey Member
Here in Charlotte the local club does a ton of different leagues. But I think the coolest one is what is known as Putter League. It's random draw dubs and all 30ft putts. It's played in a wear house for a local brewery with there beers on tap and it's for cash pay outs.

The format is first team to 11 points. Have to win by 2. You each throw 2 discs if you get one in you get 1 point if they both go in then you get 3 points. Round robin play then playoffs to determine the winners.

What else have you guys seen before that was a bit different but really fun?

Here in Charlotte the local club does a ton of different leagues. But I think the coolest one is what is known as Putter League. It's random draw dubs and all 30ft putts. It's played in a wear house for a local brewery with there beers on tap and it's for cash pay outs.

The format is first team to 11 points. Have to win by 2. You each throw 2 discs if you get one in you get 1 point if they both go in then you get 3 points. Round robin play then playoffs to determine the winners.

What else have you guys seen before that was a bit different but really fun?

An extreme ironing league would be different and fun.

Great contribution to the thread ^^^^

In regards to the putting league, I've yet to make it out to one of those, but it sounds like a fun way to get in some good practice.

So far, my favorite league style play has been the classic random draw doubles. A, B and C players get divided up, then A's get paired with C's randomly, and B's with B's... Always made for a fun time, and a small cash payout that keeps it competitive and fun

When I read putter league, I was thinking of playing regular rounds with just a putter. That's something I can get behind!

Sounds pretty fun though. I would go just to drink beer and BS with people. Maybe if I ever get that basket set up I can hold something like that in my own backyard!

We've run 2 match play leagues now where captains are selected and then they draft their team of 4-5 players each. This time around the teams compete against each other in singles and doubles formats for match points and total team score. It's brought a lot of the newer players out to compete since a lot of pressure is taken off of them since it's a team effort.

I think there's talk of the next league being a putting league at a new local brewery. We'll definitely look at the idea of keeping stats and then reverse order seeding players each week for a 4-6 week league.

I really think the doubles format is under-utilized. As a kid I went to a fair amount of ball golf events with my dad where we were on a 4 man scramble team and it was a great way to include me in the action and not tire me out by hitting dozens of shots from the rough.

The team idea is great! I am a fan of this and/or handicapped leagues that really give the newbie a chance to compete and keep them coming back and seeing them improve a lot more than they would otherwise.

will1.jpg
2015 Port City Disc Golf League was the coolest! You just don't even know!

Shout out to the Morgantown Mountain Goat tags. Just friendly, standard singles format. The guys were very nice - during the year I played, there were 1 or 2 times that a few guys got a bit testy, but overall very well run and enjoyable. Things were well organized, started on time and payouts/tags/prizes were done quickly.

I ran and now occasionally play in a winter doubles glow league here in Michigan. Definitely one of my favorite all time leagues.

I'm running a singles handicap league right now that is a lot of fun for everyone involved, despite the newer players having a big advantage when it comes to points. We also do a tag challenge concurrently so there is something there that takes into account raw score as well.

*Another vote for a league where only putters are allowed to be thrown during the round.

We've run 2 match play leagues now where captains are selected and then they draft their team of 4-5 players each. This time around the teams compete against each other in singles and doubles formats for match points and total team score. It's brought a lot of the newer players out to compete since a lot of pressure is taken off of them since it's a team effort.

I think there's talk of the next league being a putting league at a new local brewery. We'll definitely look at the idea of keeping stats and then reverse order seeding players each week for a 4-6 week league.

I played in a league where you had a team of 3 and the draft was done at the beginning of the year, and you kept the same team throughout the season. It was a lot of fun. One wrinkle was that each captain would submit their respective lineup blindly at the same time. For example captain of team A would write down 1-2-3 on a sheet of paper, while captain of team B would write down 2-3-1. So, the matches for that week would work out A1 vs B2, A2 vs B3, A3 vs B1 where the number corresponds to the seeding or skill level of each player.

I'm kinda biased since i've been running the Tuesday J-Dubz league for 8 years but aside from that?

New England Team Challenge.
Local courses from all over NE play each other from Oct thru March.
Teams consist of up to 20 players.
We play 3 home, 3 away and one neutral site matches.
Round 1 is singles match play. One point for each match won.
Round 2 is best shot doubles stroke play. Two points for each match won.
Lunch is provided for BOTH teams by the home team.

There are MORE players involved in this league than the New England Flying disc Association(NEFA). Pretty sure it's double the size this year.

8 teams in the A, B & C pools. 12 teams in the D pool = around 720 players.

Last edited:
Unfortunately our disc golf community has no organized league, so I'd have to say the league at Papago.

I loved match play in ball golf I wish it was used more in disc golf. Could do a weekend deal start in the morning random draw for matches and turn them loose. Bracket style to a winner.

I really think the doubles format is under-utilized. As a kid I went to a fair amount of ball golf events with my dad where we were on a 4 man scramble team and it was a great way to include me in the action and not tire me out by hitting dozens of shots from the rough.

The team idea is great! I am a fan of this and/or handicapped leagues that really give the newbie a chance to compete and keep them coming back and seeing them improve a lot more than they would otherwise.

I love doubles because as a newer player it takes a little pressure off and makes it more fun. The Strategy is fun too.

I played in a league where you had a team of 3 and the draft was done at the beginning of the year, and you kept the same team throughout the season. It was a lot of fun. One wrinkle was that each captain would submit their respective lineup blindly at the same time. For example captain of team A would write down 1-2-3 on a sheet of paper, while captain of team B would write down 2-3-1. So, the matches for that week would work out A1 vs B2, A2 vs B3, A3 vs B1 where the number corresponds to the seeding or skill level of each player.

We did a player seeding like this but with draft order for the last league. The format for this league lets captains re-order their team each week with one doubles group and two singles. Each player on the team plays each format 3 times. Teams know which team they will play that week but no how the team is ordered.

The group I was part of in Phoenix valley does a lot of cool leagues. We do a pop up league, basically go to a random park or other public land and bring portable baskets and create our own courses. Another one wr do is rootbeer float league. Put in 2 bucks, afterwards the winner gets the money and we go out for rootbeer floats at a place that cost a dollar each that the winner pays for. Then we do the usual leagues and dubs.

Unfortunately our disc golf community has no organized league, so I'd have to say the league at Papago.

Papaglow is fun.
The one disc drag challenge is also fun. One disc challenge while in dresses.

BUSHWHACKERS!!!

18 week mandatory attendance handicapped league using 7 different courses. Usually draws 60-64 players. You draw a partner for the whole year at the beginning of the year and you and your partner play a different group of 2 each week. With 3 points on the line each week. 1 for your match, 1 for you partners match, & 1 for lowest team score after handicaps.

And its a beer league!!

BUSHWHACKERS!!!

18 week mandatory attendance handicapped league using 7 different courses. Usually draws 60-64 players. You draw a partner for the whole year at the beginning of the year and you and your partner play a different group of 2 each week. With 3 points on the line each week. 1 for your match, 1 for you partners match, & 1 for lowest team score after handicaps.

And its a beer league!!

Yeah, bitches! Best.league.ever.

BUSHWHACKERS!!!

And its a beer league!!

Sounds cool.

Unfortunately i'm prolly one of the more hardcore players around here and even I would have a hard time getting 18 weeks in.

Ive been asking for A, B, and C pools at doubles forever. It seems way more fair then A & B pools. A lot of players get bounced back and forth. Its not fair for a B player who's A pool that week to pull a B player who's really a c player.

The only hard part is there is only like 4 true A players and id say prolly double or more C players. Plenty of B players though.

Best one I ever did was a high low doubles. 18 week event that you had to be there like 9 weeks. All the payout was at the end with the lowest player playing with the best. Deep payout and lots of weekly ctps and lps.