• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Copyright Issues

I know with trademarks that it can devalue the trademark and make it harder to fight infringement later on.

The company I work for has all kinds of IP, but it's commonplace in my industry to copy other companies work almost verbatim. Nobody sues anyone else usually. When they do, it seems a lot like little kids tattling on each other and in the end very little is done.

Now, I realize copyrights aren't the same as trademarks but if you let people infringe knowingly wouldn't that just weaken your position as an IP holder later?

Wrong person...

Lost indeed!

Best part was it just had an innova logo search nothing to do with pet food. Then he goes on some spew about how ones is a trademark etc which was entirely the point of my post. I guess he forgot to read the 1920s copywrite laywers flyer!

If you had two Eagles with Glenn Frey and Don Henley stamps on them, would you have to pay royalties to the Eagles?

No, you'd have to pay royalties to Frey and Henley. The Eagles don't own the personal images of individual band members, though they do own group photos of the band.

Think of it this way. You are a small business owner. You spend $10,000 to buy software for your office to get everything set up properly.

The guy a block away is also a small business owner. His staff just pirates all the software they want. They didn't spend a dime and have even more software than you do. It's wrong, they are making money by using this stuff professionally. They could get hit with a lawsuit, but they are also a fairly small business to get noticed.

Wouldn't you be choked that you're trying to do things correctly, legally, for your business...but someone else is saving money AND has more than you by cheating the system?

The copyright police used to go through the parking lots at shows on a regular basis back in the 80's.
They still have the lot police out and about! When I worked with DMB we would send bundles of confiscated bootleg shirts to Africa so that they could have clothes to wear. At least they did something good with the bootlegs rather than destroy them.

Think of it this way. You are a small business owner. You spend $10,000 to buy software for your office to get everything set up properly.

The guy a block away is also a small business owner. His staff just pirates all the software they want. They didn't spend a dime and have even more software than you do. It's wrong, they are making money by using this stuff professionally. They could get hit with a lawsuit, but they are also a fairly small business to get noticed.

Wouldn't you be choked that you're trying to do things correctly, legally, for your business...but someone else is saving money AND has more than you by cheating the system?

No, they are taking the risk, I have the same ability to take that risk and I chose not to, so automatically I have determined that the risk outweighs the reward and as such I am in a better business place than my competitor. And if I know about that risk they took, a quick phone call puts me in a SIGNIFICANTLY better business position.

But the dude needs that stolen software to pay his software developers!

As disc golf continues to enter the mainstream, these kind of things will become an issue. Nothing wrong with being conscientious with your fun.

And no demographic for disc golf. Even lawyers like to have fun every once in a while. ;)

No, they are taking the risk, I have the same ability to take that risk and I chose not to, so automatically I have determined that the risk outweighs the reward and as such I am in a better business place than my competitor. And if I know about that risk they took, a quick phone call puts me in a SIGNIFICANTLY better business position.

It is not a risk...it is breaking the law. Huge....difference.

Speeding is breaking the law, too. Do you always observe the posted speed limits, or do you break the law and take the risk of not getting caught?

So what if you don't know the "other guy" is pirating software, and thus there is no call and the other business does better than yours. Then they can afford to buy the software legally with their extra revenue, and will have surpassed your company with no consequences. Is that okay, because they took the risk and didn't get caught?

BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, BLAH............. why should you care even one single iota about Gateway's business practices??? we as the players get super cool looking discs (if you throw gateway plastic that is). Gateway knows what they are doing, so by you whining and crying and throwing a huge hissy fit like a spoiled rotten child that doesn't like the broccoli on the table is not going to do anything except show people your pettiness and childness. people like you are a plague on society, keep your nose in YOUR OWN BUSINESS, and keep it out of others. that includes gateways.

It is not a risk...it is breaking the law. Huge....difference.

Speeding is breaking the law, too. Do you always observe the posted speed limits, or do you break the law and take the risk of not getting caught?

crickets.. how about downloading pirated music? I'm sure none of you have done that.

Same guys up in arms over this have likely drove over the speed limit, smoked a little ganja at some point in their life, drank as a minor, J-walked, drove without a seat belt, and almost certainly downloaded pirated media

I understand that using others intellectual property is illegal, and it can be a sensitive issue, especially for artists and such. I would never partake in such an activity because, as has been mentioned, the reward does not justify the risk. If you ran a business, and your choice was to either go bankrupt or utilize IP that is not yours, who is going to tell me they would not take the risk? That tipping point is different for everyone. It does not make it right, but things aren't always black and white.

I'd rather associate with 10 IP thieves, than one rat. I will not be purchasing any more MVP plastic.

Different intent of the law.

There is no competition or people's livelihoods/hard work on the line.

Wrong person...

Lost indeed!

Haha, cheers. I'll put you back on my invite list for my birthday party. ;)

No, you'd have to pay royalties to Frey and Henley. The Eagles don't own the personal images of individual band members, though they do own group photos of the band.

I was so close to posting something very similar. 17.34 internets to you. :hfive:

Latest posts