• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course has 18 holes in the winter, 9 in the summer.

colink

Par Member
A new course in the area loses 9 holes in the summer because that area of the park is used for camping and other activities.

What's the best way to add that course in DGCR? Should I make two courses, is it two different layouts in the same course?

I don't think so. I think you just clearly provide the information in the Description area of the course. I am assuming golfers will kind of figure it out when getting to the park, if they fail to do their due diligence in reading the course info. Hopefully the park has signs, a kiosk, rangers, guard shack.....something that alerts them to the changes.

That's a good question. The only example I can think of at the moment is Dretzka Park in Milwaukee, which has the normal (summer) 27 hole course and the winter 18 hole layout. They're listed on here as 2 seperate courses. Which they are. Neither share any of the same holes.

I'd be inclined to make it 2 seperate courses, listing both as "temporary" and denoting the reason in the course description AND the course name. Maybe that's just my bagger side showing :p

I can make just as good of an argument for what ru4 said though too. I feel like people would be pretty disappointed if they were expecting an 18 hole course (orange basket on the map) and arrived to find a 9 hole course (green on the map). But it's really the same 9 holes.

That's an interesting situation. I didn't help at all :|. Curious what others think on this.

if you go the route of 2 separate course listings, do the 9 holes as a permanent course and the 18 as a temporary course

that said, i would probably go with just one listing. ru4por's perspective makes sense to me.

if you go the route of 2 separate course listings, do the 9 holes as a permanent course and the 18 as a temporary course

This makes much more sense.

That said, the DGCR look on the browse map doesn't change for permanent or temporary. Orange basket/Green basket. You need to read the course description info and reviews of course. DGCR doesn't have the benefit of different layouts like Udisc. In map form. You and ru4 will have idea what I'm talking about though ;) Points still valid.

How many holes are shared between them?

If playing the nine, means you don't play any holes that arent part of the 18, then I don't see that as two distinct courses.

Just make a note that thr Front or Back 9 (or some 9 hole loop) isn't playable in the summer.

I'd be inclined to make it 2 seperate courses, listing both as "temporary" and denoting the reason in the course description AND the course name. Maybe that's just my bagger side showing :p
See the underlined. :p

For good or bad, there are unique situations that dont fit the norm, and therefore are problematic to classify/categorize.

Maybe we should just be happy a niner grows to a full 18 in the winter.

Last edited:
I'd make two layouts:

Summer - 9 holes only
Winter - full 18

Or even name each layout by the months: ex: April To September and October to March

I'd make two layouts:

Summer - 9 holes only
Winter - full 18

Or even name each layout by the months: ex: April To September and October to March

Just a thought...

On the hole info page, mabe make a winter layout
(white?) showing all 18 holes, and an summer (red?) layout showing just the 9.

Make sure the hole #'s lone up so the distances for the 9 reds are the same as those hokes in the white layout.

I don't think so. I think you just clearly provide the information in the Description area of the course. I am assuming golfers will kind of figure it out when getting to the park, if they fail to do their due diligence in reading the course info. Hopefully the park has signs, a kiosk, rangers, guard shack.....something that alerts them to the changes.

This.

I don't see it as even two different layouts. It's simply an 18 hole course with 9 holes closed in the summer, and hopefully that is clearly noted both on the course info page and on a kiosk at the course itself. If scoring using the DGCR app, you would simply skip whatever holes are closed.

Here are some examples of similar situations, off the top of my head:
- Sandy Point Resort in WI has 29 holes, but two holes are closed in the summer.
- North Bluff in MI has 27 holes, but four holes are closed in the winter.
- Moccasin Creek in FL has 26 holes, but 14 holes are closed during the annual fair or whenever the fairground is in use.

It would definitely suck to show up at a course and find that half of the holes are closed when you weren't expecting it. But the OP's question is just about how that course should be documented, and to me it's clearly a single course with a single layout that is half closed for part of the year.

Edit: Yeah, like Bogey and Bill said I guess you could call it two "layouts" if you wanted to get the round rating in the summer, etc.

Last edited:
How would that work with keeping score though?

Do you score rounds on DGCR?

yeah, if you're keeping score on here then the scorebook won't differentiate layouts and the 9 hole rounds will be incomplete scores, and IIRC that means they don't count for certain stats and don't give you a DGCR round rating.

this is the good argument for two separate listings and it's easy to overlook if you don't use the scorebook.

the other argument is more of a philosophical one and i agree with it. but until the site gets an upgrade that offers distinct layouts on the same course listing and allows a choice of them in the scorebook, separate listings may be the more practical approach if we're trying to accommodate the most site users. people with strong opinions about what DGCR ought to be doing to compete with Udisc would certainly agree, i would think.

Just a thought...

On the hole info page, mabe make a winter layout
(white?) showing all 18 holes, and an summer (red?) layout showing just the 9.

Make sure the hole #'s lone up so the distances for the 9 reds are the same as those hokes in the white layout.

that kind of does what i'm talking about, i guess the scorebook just needs a makeover to give more flexibility in recording rounds and getting complete stats out of the layouts with fewer holes.

oh, and more than four max layout options. and even better if you could create new ones just by selecting from the preexisting holes in any of the other layouts. i feel like now i'm posting in the wrong thread. which one was the site suggestions for the new admins?

oh, and more than four max layout options. and even better if you could create new ones just by selecting from the preexisting holes in any of the other layouts. i feel like now i'm posting in the wrong thread. which one was the site suggestions for the new admins?

All good points you're making. Maybe even having another colored basket icon on the map. Let's say, a purple basket for courses with unique or unusual layouts. This thread reminded me of this course http://dgcour.se/13356

If you read my review of it I try to explain it as best as I could. Timg could vouch for this. We went back and forth for a few days on how to list it and he ultimately said, basically, what would you do? I just went with RIPing the old 9 hole layout and creating a new 18 hole layout. Again, different than the OP, but I told Tim I'd write up a thorough review and upload photos. It was probably the toughest review for me to write to this day honestly.

You're points about the DGCR app for scoring are spot on though. Luckily nobody will play Alexander Middle School :D

Random thoughts.

I'd ask how "summer" and "winter" apply here. If it's 9 holes for just 3 summer months, but 18 holes for the other 9 months, I'd think I'd consider it an 18-hole course, and put a prominent caveat about the summer closings. An enterprising local could update the local conditions as summer commences, as well. But most of the time, it's 18.

One caution about listing 2 layouts, or as 2 courses, is that a player may go there expecting to play both layouts. Not quite as bad as expecting to play 18 holes and only having 9 available, but the same principle.

We have a private course with overlapping layouts, and have spent 15 years trying to fit an evolving square peg into the round hole of this, and other, sites. One of the great pleasures of disc golf is its variety, but it's tough asking or expecting websites to accommodate every unusual situation.

...until the site gets an upgrade that offers distinct layouts on the same course listing and allows a choice of them in the scorebook, separate listings may be the more practical approach if we're trying to accommodate the most site users.

You can select between different layouts in the DGCR scoring app. But are you saying that if the course has 18 holes, even if you select a 9-hole "layout" it thinks you are still playing only 9 out of 18 holes?

The more I think about it, I'm thinking that's correct from what I have seen. I had not thought of that angle yesterday.

What other stats don't count if I score "only 9 of 18 holes", besides the round rating?

So yeah, just need the scoring portion of the app to calculate all stats for the chosen layout regardless of whether that layout has the maximum number of holes that the overall course has?

I am going slow this morning I guess :D

If the 9 hole layout shares holes from the 18 hole layout you can make one map with multiple smart layouts attached to a single course listing.

My course has a 9 hole loop that uses 1 thru 5 then 15 thru 18.

Shenantaha Creek

EDIT: nevermind, for some reason i thought i read UDisc :doh:

Last edited: