• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course in Pinehurst NC

chainmonkey

Par Member
This Thread has been going for a while in the course design section but I felt it needed to be also here as it is a course in the beginnings of construction. Yes it is true Disc is coming to Ball country. The Ball golf capital will soon have its first DG course. This began as an Eagle Scout project of 9 baskets. The scout was smart enough to seek out advice from Stan McDaniel on course design which shows in itself that he is Eagle Scout material. The Village has already purchased the 1st 9 baskets and are waiting for DGer reaction to the course and the new fiscal year to purchase the additional baskets. The course will be located on Chicken Plant Rd and Bowman Rd, between Pinehurst and Foxfire. We the DGer's of the area need to get together and help Stan help us to get the course in. He will need a DG community effort with the back 9 holes of this course. The scout and his crew will handle the front. We need to do the back so lets all help

I will be there in Pinehurst Saturday at 10:00 to help the scout kick off construction of the front nine. I don't plan on staying there all day, but after I finish with the scout and his workers I can hang around a bit if you want to come out and we can look at the back nine.

See ya, Stan

Man I wish I could be there but I have already signed up to play in the Relay for Life tournament in Asheboro.

Anybody willing to help with the cutting of fairways? I will, I just need to know when to meet at the site. I went out there and if the trees with green paint on them are the ones to be cut, I can drop some trees. don't have anything to drag them with though.

Chain, if you cut the trees, I will clear fairways and I know a few guys who can possibly help to get this done. The problem is getting everyone together all at once. At this moment with my work, I can't commit to a specific date on clearing, but I will definitely find the time. If I'm not able to meet up with you for the cutting or I can't get help from others to clear then I'll do whatever I can solo. I just need to know where to drag the brush. I drove by there today and was going to scope it out, but all the entrances I saw were roped off so I didn't stop.

Tomorrow 3-16-11 a fellow from the Village of Pinehurst Parks Dept is suppose to be at the course location dropping trees I plan on joining him around 10ish maybe a little later. Sometimes it is hard for me to get going in the mornings.

Tomorrow 3-16-11 a fellow from the Village of Pinehurst Parks Dept is suppose to be at the course location dropping trees I plan on joining him around 10ish maybe a little later. Sometimes it is hard for me to get going in the mornings.

Good for you !!! Remember that Pinehurst has told me they are going to chip up the limbs and such. So, when dragging them, all that needs to be done os to get them to the edge of the fairways and make multiple average sized piles with the large end of each branch pointed in the same direction. It makes it much easier to pull from the pile and take to the chipper.

Good luck!!

Went out this morning and met a fellow from the parks dept and we cut a few fairways. We did not do any dragging though so their is plenty of stuff to be drug to the side of the fairway. I hope to get back out there again soon.

You rock !!!! That is the way to build a good relationship with your park department. It will pay off for you guys without a doubt.

I plan on clearing some holes this upcoming week. Do you enter from Chicken Plant Rd. or from Bowman and where is hole 1?

I went to the course today and cleared the fairway on #4. There is still a lot to drag around the green, but at least there is a dent in it. Hopefully I can get back there soon with some help and really make some progress. I walked the entire course and I must say that the back 9 will be much easier to clear and will be the icing on the cake once the front 9 is dealt with.

After all the clearing is done there will be high trimming to be done to get the branches that dangle into the fairways. If you guys have extendable pruning tools or even a chainsaw on a stick you can start getting those out of the way. I know the scout will not be up to getting that done.

I went out to the course Saturday but there was nobody there and I went out today and things do not look as though much has been done in the past couple weeks. I guess the BS is getting a little tired, there is a lot to be done in building a course. I have been working on mine for a year, it is only 9 holes and it is not through yet.

Well, it doesn't suprise me. Both the kid and his parents seemed to think that they were going to slice through this project like it was nothing and we both know that they were a bit delusional. Course building takes a lot of effort over a good bit of time. Anyhow, I hope to get back down there before too long. I am a bit hobbled by gout right now. Old age is great, there is always something new and painful to get aquainted with.

I will let you know when I can head back down there.

I know all about the complications and BS involved with building a course. Does Hillcrest Park ring a bell? One word - NIGHTMARE. Anyway, the scout and company need to pick up the pace on the front 9. I'm inclined to get started on the back whenever the time is to be spared. Honestly, I'll be lucky to get one person to help so I would be better suited for work on the back 9.

when you guys go out let me know and if im not busy with the kids i will go and help....... early on weekends are better for me....

Latest posts