• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses EVERYONE loves except... You

I would say Lincoln Ridge. Yes, it is nicely maintained and it's 24 holes, but the design is just average IMO. I have seen a few reviews where people say they like this course better than Idlewild and that just baffles me.

IMO i don't think its better than Idlewild, but i do like it more than Mt. Airy. They are two totally different type of courses. Lincoln ridge has a fun factor to it. It plays more to the shorter thrower than the other two. I make the trip to cincy a couple times a year just to play Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge.

There's one course locally that I don't want to name, because it's a new private course and I want the guy's venture to succeed. To date, nobody has rated it lower than 4, but in reality it shouldn't be more than 2.5 (if the scale was truly accurately applied where 2.5 is average). The course is mostly wide open, with fairways overlapping on almost every hole. There is some challenge to avoid the subtle OB lines between the fairways, but mostly every shot is just a big arm's pitch and putt. I've only played 2 rounds there, but had to dodge discs from other holes both times. No benches, no trash cans. Yet, it's currently one of the top rated courses in our region.

There will be improvement as trees have been planted to make the holes more interesting, but it's really too small and open of a space to support 18 holes. It would have been better as a 15 or even 12 hole course, but just try to get people to pay money for that. To its benefit, the guy running the show is super friendly, and he's doing what he can to make it a good disc golf experience, which I think is the main reason for the high ratings. That and its the only "real" course nearby for a lot of people. If the course were in a more dg centric area, and was run by the parks dept., people would be out with their pitchforks, and it probably wouldn't even have a 2.5 rating.

A course that I'm sure a lot of people disagree with me about would be Horning's Hideout - Meadow Ridge. Don't get me wrong, I dig Horning's a lot, but as Three Putt eloquently noted previously, I think it's a case of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. All three of the Horning's courses are good, but I don't think any are spectacular. Meadow Ridge is the most memorable, but a lot of the holes feel samey to me, and a few feel a bit too contrived. Having three courses onsite definitely makes it a destination though.

I'm going to get blasted for this one I'm sure but...

DeLa.

I like it, but don't love it. IMO holes like 4 (barsby roller ace hole), 12 (the kitchen), and 18 (where ricky rolled down the hill and paul hit the ~40' death putt final round masters cup 2014) are just not good holes...they just have the legacies' attributed to them in parentheses. Add on the crossing fairways and "getting DeLa'd" and you have a course that's overrated to me. I cut them some slack on trees falling, etc. because they don't have a water source up there so maintenance is exponentially more difficult, but it's just not somewhere I enjoy playing that much.

DeLaveaga - I was completely underwhelmed by this one, after hearing all the hype, I saw nothing great about it, sure it was a fun round but I didn't even think it was the best in the area, much less one of the best in the country. And I'm surprised nobody's been killed by the top of the world shot yet.. I don't think I even put it on my list of 120 favorite courses (sorry that the link in my sig is down, I'll work on that one of these days).

DeLa for me. I played great there, but I swear I heard Fore! 50 times in one weekend.

In a word, this course is UNSAFE. I personally don't think any course with crossing fairways should be allowed to exist, let alone be allowed to host an NT.

IMO i don't think its better than Idlewild, but i do like it more than Mt. Airy. They are two totally different type of courses. Lincoln ridge has a fun factor to it. It plays more to the shorter thrower than the other two. I make the trip to cincy a couple times a year just to play Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge.

They are two different experiences, that's for sure. I totally agree that Lincoln Ridge is more fun for a casual round.

As for Airy, now that they utilize their multiple basket placements there are some configurations that are more fun than others, but overall I can certainly see how people can enjoy Lincoln Ridge more.

All of that said I think that the overall rating (4.47) is still a bit high.

Blue Ribbon Pines and Horning's should not be near the top if you base it on course quality. Nothing at Horning's is all that spectacular except maybe the scene. I can imagine camping there for a weekend and having a great time partying and meeting people, then writing a great review; but the golf is really nothing special. Same goes for BRP. The golf isn't spectacular, but the local scene and the guy serving up burgers and beer in the woods on the weekend has a bit of influence on the ratings.

Cass was still a bit too tight (fluky) on a handful of the wooded holes during PAW2000.

There was one hole there; that was the epitome of plinko. Absolutely no fairway. I forget which one; towards the end of the wooded holes. I started off with a couple of bogeys (which, unfortunately, I often seemed to do). Battled my way back to tie for lead on my card and then stupid plinko hole gave me another bogey. There was literally no line to the pin! :) Otherwise, Cass was excellent, in it's hey day.

Just to add something new to the discussion, I do not understand all the love for CP Adams. Granted, if it were in my backyard I would love it. However, I have to drive about 75 minutes to get there and it is essentially a "city" park with a few buried in the woods. Fairways run too close to each other and it requires manufactured (which are just as poorly placed) mandos and OBs to keep everything straight. I was incredibly upset that of all the courses we had at Am Worlds that we had to play this one twice. I will have one fond memory of it because I scored a legitimate Am Worlds ace on Hole 12 (unlike those faux-aces at Kenwood), but as a whole I think CP is grossly overrated.

CP was my least favorite of the worlds courses I played. Didn't realize that I was getting a lot of love. A good portion of the course just seems boring to me

Idlewild in KY.

Too much plinko. Landing zones are not defined and birdies are more based on luck. Scoring separation on too many holes is, throw (layup or hit a tree, upshot, par.
The fake greens on the other sides of water. They are too small. Most players would lay up to them unless you know you need a birdie, so what is their point.
There are like 10 different styles of baskets.
Ok course, probably even a 4+ disc rating...but not a top course. The Orange crush complex in WV with a few trees taken out is much more interesting to me.

Seth Burton and Orange Crush are incredible courses! I don't know that I can compare those to Idelwild as they're so very different. In any case, glad to see West Virginia courses getting some love here and on the "Best Hole" thread!

:thmbup:

Probably not... I thought about it, but I'm not sure I would have fun trying to throw in the freezing cold. The Ice Bowl was during the polar vortex last year, so that kind of turned me off to the idea :eek:

Do I have to be a member of anything to sign up? I have thought about joining the Columbus Flyers but I dunno if I will.
There is a $5 fee if your not a member of the Columbus club, but the pdga nonmember fee is waived

Idlewild. The artificial turf really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. I understand why it was used, but it just felt wrong to me.

I agree the artificial turf at idlewild really detracted from the experience aesthetically, but it was still a wonderful course.

For me the most overrated was Tyler. I'm usually very impressed with courses that are in the top 50-100. But there was never a time at tyler when I said to myself, "this is an amazing hole!". It's a good course, but never wowed me.

Flip City and Bracketts Bluff (new). Vibe can enhance a course but (for me) can't make a course. Challenging golf holes make a course.

Web is definitely where it's at for Hornets Nest. Only problem is the course is so busy that playing the overlaying long course can be tough to accomplish with lots of traffic on short course.

Surprised by the comments the Castle Hayne looked poke and pray. I found the fairways to be well defined and hittable (as a intermediate player).

Hole 7 with the three big pines right in front is the only one I can think of as being luck rewarding. The trees are close enough that you can avoid them a majority of the time if you play there regularly. They are easy to avoid with a fh but I can see the criticism.

Well it appears as if disc golf in the twin cities metro area as a whole is overrated and I completely agree with that. We have a lot of courses with repetitive shots. I will say that i am glad to live here and have a ton of options instead of living somewhere with 3 courses and being screwed by having to play 4 hour rounds, if I'm stressed for time I can just play a course I know won't be busy.

Bryant Lake is a course that I only play in a group of 5 or more because you can guarantee it's going to be packed on every hole unless you play before noon on a weekday. It is fun because of the potential to have a killer round. Glad that the net was added on hole 11 for safety. However it does lack the challenge to really be a "next level" course. I only feel we have one true championship course in Minnesota in Hidden Lake

I will add Ashe County to the list. I like it, but I don't LOVE it, and I definitely don't see it as anywhere near the best course in North Carolina, which is how it's rated here. I've played it a few times, and still think the layout can be confusing, especially for a first-timer, and can feel very repetitive. A few great holes, and some great scenery for the first couple holes, but not the best course in NC, not by a long shot.
[/IMG][/QUOTE]
To each his own,but imo the front nine in my book is littered with very average holes that people tend to forget once they step up to the box on number nine. I think Nevin has a much better layout.

Last edited:
Well it appears as if disc golf in the twin cities metro area as a whole is overrated and I completely agree with that. We have a lot of courses with repetitive shots. I will say that i am glad to live here and have a ton of options instead of living somewhere with 3 courses and being screwed by having to play 4 hour rounds, if I'm stressed for time I can just play a course I know won't be busy.

Bryant Lake is a course that I only play in a group of 5 or more because you can guarantee it's going to be packed on every hole unless you play before noon on a weekday. It is fun because of the potential to have a killer round. Glad that the net was added on hole 11 for safety. However it does lack the challenge to really be a "next level" course. I only feel we have one true championship course in Minnesota in Hidden Lake

I played Oak Island for the first time eight days ago. Clean up the water holes a little bit and it easily rivals Hidden Lake. However, neither are Twin Cities' courses.

There are very few courses I actually hate, as I would rather play a "poor" course than not at all, so bad-mouthing courses like Kaposia or The Valley likely just stems from one or two bad holes that stick out. I love the challenge of both of those courses and when I actually have the time to play something further away from my house than 30 minutes, I have no qualms about playing either of those courses.

Courses like Crown, HSSA, and Oakwood, then I get a little hesitant and definitely need to be talked into it. Like you said, we have a plethora of good to great choices within so many minutes of anywhere, so it is easy to look down on a course.

Lincoln Ridge, to me, is extremely overrated...as are the courses in the Bowling Green Ams...I know many people like the tourney experience of BGA, but the courses are very average or below.

Kaposia was the least favorite of the Am Worlds courses for me. For a few reasons, the course itself was only half of it tho, if im honest.

Everyone i know that has played it, really likes Peter Pan in Emporia. For me its a nice break from the longer courses in the area, but course wise, i hate it. Not sure what the appeal is unless youre not getting many birdie tries at the other courses.

Johnson St. in High Point, NC is probably my vote for the thread. It's fun but the course is just so beaten down and eroded that it sucks a lot of the fun out of it for me. Really shows its age.

I agree. I've only played Johnson Street twice. I enjoy Creekside a lot more and can be there a few minutes quicker. And it is never crowded. Hell, I'd take Barber Park over Johnson St., but I am sure I am in the minority on that one.

Totally agree with Winter Park in Wisconsin, was one of those courses I was really amped to play and it just underwhelmed,

Underwhelmed is very appropriate for Winter Pk, it's not even near a 4 in my book, it had a lot of cheesy holes.

I agree the artificial turf at idlewild really detracted from the experience aesthetically, but it was still a wonderful course.

For me the most overrated was Tyler. I'm usually very impressed with courses that are in the top 50-100. But there was never a time at tyler when I said to myself, "this is an amazing hole!". It's a good course, but never wowed me.
Well I thought the artificial turf was kind of a nice touch, especially on holes like this:
DSC02658.jpg

where a natural green may not work or be the best option. I mean come on, this hole really stands out because of its green! :thmbup:

As for Tyler, I say it is one of the best I've ever played. I only was there once and unfortunately didn't get the whole experience, having to leave after about 13 holes. But it is such a beautiful course and I love the ramparts and other obstacles they have made. It also has some constructed greens which are pretty neat. We don't have anything like that around here.

Latest posts