• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

courses near I-95

jim owens

My wife and I will be traveling from NY to Florida starting Sunday. Looking for people's ideas on must-see courses along this route. Definitely taking a bit of a side-trip to the IDGC on the way down but looking for another idea or 2 on the way down. Anything within an hour or two from I-95 is probably fair game-campground nearby a definite plus. Thoughts/suggestions? Thanks, jim

If you're coming down from NY you have to stop by Tyler State Park in Newtown Pa.....Exit 49 off of I-95. You can also stop by Sedgley Woods when you get down near Philadelphia. As you leave PA and enter Delaware you can stop by and play Bellvue SP (shorter/easier course), Brandywine SP, Iron Hill (Newark, De), and Carousel before you hit Maryland.

Hit me up if you're going to stop by Tyler State Park...Cyclops, gripenemys2k and myself all play out of TSP as our home course.

Last edited:
Tyler has long been on my want to play list. I'll shoot ya a pm if it looks like we can do it. I'm thinking we could be there by late in the afternoon sunday but that all depends on our start time and how work goes on saturday. If you don't mind showing a couple of intermediate level players around the place that would be great.

re: Tyler and I-95....FYI...it's near that strange part of I-95 where it doesn't really flow N and S but around Trenton,NJ and doesn't exactly connect with the NJ turnpike but it's less than 10 minutes from exit 49.

Sedgley is near I-95 and I-76. I'd skip Bellevue. Also not far from I-95 is Scarboro Hills in Maryland
just past Delaware. Rockborn Branch very near Baltimore just minutes from I-95 is another worthy stop. Print a map.

Last edited:
I'm assuming your IDGC detour is taking you of I-95 in SC & GA. If not, near the SC/GA border are two good courses virtually on the exit ramps---The Sarge in Hardeeville, SC, and Tom Triplett in Savannah, GA. Also, about an hour off I-95 in Charleston is Trophy Lakes, one of SC's best courses.

re: Tyler and I-95....FYI...it's near that strange part of I-95 where it doesn't really flow N and S but around Trenton,NJ and doesn't exactly connect with the NJ turnpike but it's less than 10 minutes from exit 49.

Sedgley is near I-95 and I-76. "I'd skip Bellevue." Also not far from I-95 is Scarboro Hills in Maryland
just past Delaware. Rockborn Branch very near Baltimore just minutes from I-95 is another worthy stop. Print a map.

"I'd skip Bellvue"---I only suggested Bellvue if the kids or wife wanted to throw a course that wasn't going to really need length and precision. Bellvue is a very easy course for anyone that can put it out there 350+. There are holes where length can really make that course like a pitch and putt DG course.

Bellvue is definitely a fun little course in Delaware - depending on what time you hit the area, and what your priorities are, I'd probably skip Bellevue, & hit Brandywine & Iron Hill. Brandywine is very scenic, not extremely long, and if its not super-windy, shouldn't take all that long.

Iron Hill is the gem (IMHO) of the state - long, wooded and multiple tee's/baskets to make it as hard or "easier" as you'd like.

Brandywine - I'd leave 2 hrs to play - can be tough to navigate if you're not familiar with it. Iron Hill = 2.5 - 3 hrs, as it's well marked, but loooonnngg.

If you have an entire day, or have no timeframe to really stick to, I'd throw Bellevue in as well, as it is fun to play, but out of the 3 courses very close to I95, it's last on the list as far as "must play".

If you want to camp as well - hit up Lum's Pond (camping & DG), and play White Clay as well! You could probably plan to play Bellevue & Brandywine, camp @ Lums that evening & then play Lums, White Clay & Iron Hill the following day & get back on the 95.

Last edited:
Tom Tripplett Park in Pooler, GA (the hometown) is 5 mins off the hwy near some fast food restaurants. Got a sick Railroad Hole tunnel shot style hole #16. Wildwood park at the IDGC has good camping. Dont camp at Mistletoe State Park in GA nearby. Its cheaper at Wildwood by about 7 bucks a night.

After talking it out with the wife it looks like Iron Hill sunday afternoon followed by Lum's Pond monday morning then off to the IDGC for tuesday. How is navigation at Lum's and Iron Hill?

There's a PDGA at Iron Hill Sunday if you want to play, if not I'd switch the days of Lums and Iron Hill.

The Sarge in Hardeeville if right off exit 8 in SC and fun play if it is not hot. Wear bug spray!