• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses off I-75?

Jimnyalator

My Dad and I are planning a gnarly 4 or 5 day trip to Florida on October 25th. Im super pumped for this. That being said I've already mapped out so awesome looking courses off of I-75 from Northern Michigan. I was posting this to ask anyone out there if they know any good courses off the highway. Im not trying to trail to far off the highway seeing as it will take us about 14 hours to drive there as it it. But a nice course would be worthy to check out, so yeah guys help me out. Thanks. Btw first post on DG :) love the site!

Thanks!

You might want to list what you're already looking at and what kinds of courses you enjoy playing so people can give you decent recommendations.

That said, there are a couple great courses in the Greater Cincinnati area close to 75. Idlewild and Mt. Airy would be worth a look. Both are two to three hour plays though so they won't help you make good time.

This is where I stand on courses Ive researched so far. Starting from northern MI through Independence Kentucky.
Frankenmuth MI, Memorial Park
Detroit MI, Bonnie Brook DGC
Clarkson MI, Bay Court Park
Bowling Green OH, Carter Park
Ada OH, Ohio Northern University
Huber Heights OH, Herbert C. Huber Park
Mason, OH, Mason Sports Park DGC
Independence KY, Lincoln Ridge Park.
While looking up these courses Ive looked at all types of style of courses and thats what I was looking for. A variety.

Mason and Lincoln Ridge will be fun. LR will be another two to three hour play. I've played Huber also, and it was okay. I wouldn't mind a revisit, but I'm not going out of my way to do it.

It's interesting that you chose LR over Idlewild. It's definitely the more fun course, but most people go the other way due to Idlewild being in the top ten. LR would probably be the course I'd recommend for anyone with time to only play one area course. Good luck with the planning (and execution) of your trip.

Near Cincinnati: Fun= Lincoln Ridge, Difficult= Idlewild, Best IMO = Mt Airy and it has a very well stocked proshop on site. Mason Sports Park is by far the best 9hole course I have played so if you just have time to play a quicky then that is a good one. There are a couple decent courses in Lexington, KY also. Veterans and Jacobson.

Last edited:
I would play Woodlands in Perrysburg,OH before Carter Park in Bowling Green, OH.

And I would play Panther in McComb, OH before I would Play at Ohio Northern University in Ada,OH.

Also, even though it only rates 2 discs here at DGCR, I'd play Van Buren State Park in Van Buren, OH before Carter or Ohio Northern University. Van Buren has some really short holes, but they are challenging. The biggest knock against it (IMHO) is when it's crowded, that should not be a problem this time of year.

Memorial park in Frankenmuth is a fantastic course. Rolling hills and very well manicured, it is a multi use park so other activities are sometimes happening. Like pee wee football practice or cross country running. it for sure is worth the stop, probably the prettiest disc golf course you may ever see. Not super hard not super easy great mix. You wont be sorry for stopping there. Only bad thing there is if its windy out can make it tough, wind funnels thru the hills and valleys.

In GA; Perkerson in Atlanta, Oregon Park in Marietta and Freedom Park in Valdoata are all worth a look.

My Dad and I are planning a gnarly 4 or 5 day trip to Florida on October 25th. Im super pumped for this. That being said I've already mapped out so awesome looking courses off of I-75 from Northern Michigan. I was posting this to ask anyone out there if they know any good courses off the highway. Im not trying to trail to far off the highway seeing as it will take us about 14 hours to drive there as it it. But a nice course would be worthy to check out, so yeah guys help me out. Thanks. Btw first post on DG :) love the site!

Thanks!

Welcome to DGCR! Now sounds like a good time to mention the VIP membership ($25/year) that gives you access to the Road Trip feature. :thmbup:

Enter starting point and end point then customize it to your needs. How many miles off the Highway? Course Ratings? # of Holes, etc... You get a detailed Map of the trip and all the courses that meet your criteria. Used this for my Michigan to Iowa trip down I-80. Picked within 10 miles of Route, all courses 3-star to 5-star rated and added ones I wanted to play to my Trip Route. Pretty slick feature.

Perkerson Park in Atlanta, GA
JP Mosely in Stockbridge, GA
Wyomia Tyus Olympic Park in Griffin, GA
Magnolia DGC in Live Oak, FL (Spirit of The Suwannee)
Cliff Stephens Park in Clearwater, FL (Home course of Ken Climo)

Those are all really awesome courses that will test your skills!

Welcome to DGCR! Now sounds like a good time to mention the VIP membership ($25/year) that gives you access to the Road Trip feature. :thmbup:

Enter starting point and end point then customize it to your needs. How many miles off the Highway? Course Ratings? # of Holes, etc... You get a detailed Map of the trip and all the courses that meet your criteria. Used this for my Michigan to Iowa trip down I-80. Picked within 10 miles of Route, all courses 3-star to 5-star rated and added ones I wanted to play to my Trip Route. Pretty slick feature.

Good point... plus you can hang out in the smoke room with the VIP Members. We've got crushed velvet... cryztal.... and cubans.

Memorial park in Frankenmuth is a fantastic course. Rolling hills and very well manicured, it is a multi use park so other activities are sometimes happening. Like pee wee football practice or cross country running. it for sure is worth the stop, probably the prettiest disc golf course you may ever see. Not super hard not super easy great mix. You wont be sorry for stopping there. Only bad thing there is if its windy out can make it tough, wind funnels thru the hills and valleys.

This 100%. Played it last month. Had to play it twice. If you like bbq check out Slo Bones before you play. Good stuff.

Brutas has spot on advice for the greater Cincinnati area.

I personally like Carter park in Bowling Green, but it was my first course, and you know what they say about your first.
Panther DGC in McComb is a good course, fairly open, but lots of elevation worked in from the reservoirs. It's slowly getting concrete too.
I can't buy a definite reason, but for some reason, I'm just not a big fan of Van Buren state park, maybe I need to play it more.
Ohio Northern University Ada isn't a bad course, but very open, except for 2 holes, and can be very windy.

Unrelated, but that makes me happy to hear about Frankenmuth. My wife's been wanting to check out the Christmas store up there, maybe she won't notice if I step out for a bit :D

Once in Florida Northside Park and Jonesville Park are very close to I-75 in Gainsville area. What is the final destination in Florida?

I personally like Carter park in Bowling Green, but it was my first course, and you know what they say about your first.
Panther DGC in McComb is a good course, fairly open, but lots of elevation worked in from the reservoirs. It's slowly getting concrete too.
I can't buy a definite reason, but for some reason, I'm just not a big fan of Van Buren state park, maybe I need to play it more.
Ohio Northern University Ada isn't a bad course, but very open, except for 2 holes, and can be very windy.

Unrelated, but that makes me happy to hear about Frankenmuth. My wife's been wanting to check out the Christmas store up there, maybe she won't notice if I step out for a bit :D

I'll throw in another vote for Memorial Park in Frankenmuth. Also, the Frankenmuth Brewery is one of my favorite places to eat/drink. I enjoyed Carter Park, but like Ohio Northern's course much better.

Thanks everyone for the input it means allot, plus its easier to plan my trip and its only days away im totally pumped for it! Day one starts off in Atlanta MI at Clear Lake, I like this short par 9. After that its Hanson Hill in Gaylord, then see my sister in Bay City for the night. The next morning its looking like the next stops for the day will be Carter Park in Bowling Green OH, and Ottowa Park, Otowwa OH. After these two courses itll likely be nightfall. So the next day will be exciting because I am excited to play Lincon Ridge in KY the next day. Also Mason Sports Park will be near that so might as well hit that couse up. The next few courses will take place near my friends house in Tennessee off I-75 near Kingsport. But hot dog he has Harmon Hills right near by and its 24 holes 5 star rating (which is the only one I ever see on this site). Then its all up in the air to FL from there. Im so excited.
Thanks for the input guys!

27 holes at Harmon Hills....and its GORGEOUS. Played there for the first time this weekend and it was def worth the trip up there from Atlanta!

Latest posts