• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy violation for not watching a throw?

Things that are "expected" are not always mandated.

#1 A player SHOULD watch other players' drives, per the rules.
#2 A player MUST perform actions that are EXPECTED, per the rules.

Let's take a look at the definition of EXPECTED.

ex·pect - ikˈspekt - verb
past tense: expected; past participle: expected
regard (something) as likely to happen.

Note that it says: LIKELY to happen. It does not say MUST happen. In this example, it is EXPECTED that other players' drives should be watched. Therefore, failing to watch other player' drives is a violation of #2 and is a rule infraction.

Sportsmanship people - please learn it.

Why don't we take a second to actually read the definition of Sportsmanship.

sports·man·ship noun \-ˌship\
: fair play, respect for opponents, and polite behavior by someone who is competing in a sport or other competition

Note the VERY FIRST WORD: Fair. What makes some play fair and some play unfair, you may ask? THE RULES DO. Thus, to have the quality of Sportsmanship, you MUST follow the rules.

But, isn't calling rule infractions an impolite act, you may ask? The answer is NO. It is the sole purpose for the existence of the rules in the first place. If the game were not meant to be affected by a rule, it wouldn't have been written.

And to all the "I would punch you in the face" and "I hope I never play with you ever" type commenters: Why do you even bother reading the rules forum, when you apparently have no regards for the rules at all? What is the point? Is it just to point out that you are "too cool for rules"?

This is a wonderful statement.

So the "courtesy" of turning your back to the player about to putt is in fact a courtesy violation. Interesting.

I recall seeing a video where a player clearly fell forward on his hands when making a putt from his knees. MJ called him on it, but couldn't get a second.

I read two pages of this and couldn't go any further.

I will say this: If someone tried to give me a violation for not watching their sh*tty throw, I would kick them square in the dick.

Twice.

Mr. New013,

That really doesn't say much for your respect for the game if someone - who is in their right - calls you on something and then you all-of-a-sudden become spiteful and do so BECAUSE of such. Rules are to be adhered to; don't like it, don't play in tournaments.

Karl

it'd be the same as you calling him for a CV before for not watching... if you do something wrong, he has every right to call a CV on you. Works both ways

So the "courtesy" of turning your back to the player about to putt is in fact a courtesy violation. Interesting.

I think players often end up with their back to the putter because they are trying to walk away and freeze when it seems like the putter is ready to throw. At that point, turning around to watch would be a distraction.

I don't think anyone expects the other players to look away when they putt.

At least I don't. I may need help finding my putts.

I think players often end up with their back to the putter because they are trying to walk away and freeze when it seems like the putter is ready to throw. At that point, turning around to watch would be a distraction.

I've never had anyone on my card who asked people to turn away, but apparently that's common on ladies' cards. My wife has had to explain to a bunch of women that expectation doesn't work with rules enforcement, nor is it a reasonable request in general.

From a watching other people throw standpoint, no player should be walking away before the entire card has completed the hole.

Now that I'm sensitized to it, I see the pros on you tube tournament videos turn their back. Even when they are standing near their disc, waiting to mark & putt, they turn their backs. Seems kind of like shunning ;)

What Steve meant was a player is walking away from the basket to get out of sight lines of the player and the player is impatient and seems ready to throw. A lot of times the player walking just stops. I've also seen players stop and turn away. Maybe it's like the game of peek-a-boo. You can't see me if I can't see you. :)

Personally if I'm walking back to my bag and the player is anxious to putt, I keep walking figuring that sudden movement is worse than continual movement. If it bothers them, they can wait til I'm out of their way.

I read two pages of this and couldn't go any further.

I will say this: If someone tried to give me a violation for not watching their sh*tty throw, I would kick them square in the dick.

Twice.

Also a courtesy violation. Who kicks a man in his dick...even once? :gross:

I can see calling courtesy violations on shots that aren't watched by the group. I personally will not watch your actual drive but as soon as I hear the disc come out of your hand, I'll turn around to watch your flight. I just can't watch the actual motion of somebody putting or driving as it gets in my head.

Would I ever call one? Never had a reason to do so. Would I call one? Sure if I had specifically asked the group to pay attention, they acknowledged and then failed to pay attention anyway.

There's a really easy way around all of this.

Whenever anyone asks if you saw a foot fault or did you see their throw just say Yes.

Seriously, it's pretty easy to see when someone is being a dick or a rules nazi and when someone is trying to follow the rules and play the game fairly. Use your good judgement.

Latest posts