• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy violation for not watching a throw?

I hope these are just people flexing their internetz muscles. I'd hate to be on a card dealing with some of the crap being spewed here... :thmbdown:

I think that the definition of gaining an advantage needs to be looked at by the people who think this way. If I don't have to worry about getting my plant foot exactly behind my mark then I can put a lot more concentration into hitting my line. Being able to do a full speed runup and actually hitting your mark takes a lot of practice and concentration, and it definitely is an advantage to not put in that effort.

I understand your point; however I think we might have a basic difference due to the divisions we're playing. I'm guessing you're playing advanced or open, I frequently play Intermediate.

I recently used the pdga search criteria to find out I'm the only MS1 in the state of Oregon. Because my default division is usually not offered, I often play Intermediate as I have a better chance of not finishing DFL by playing my rating ;)

There's a bigger diversity of skill & knowledge in Intermediate because players who should be playing Rec or Novice are in the division because Rec & Novice aren't offered. These 750-850 players are mixed in with 900+ rated players not quite ready to step up to Advanced. I take the player's experience & knowledge into consideration as well as their intent.

Wow this thread really blew up, but I wish it was a little more intelligent conversation and a little less bickering. Just a little though, I am a fan of some bickering.

To be clear, I was not saying I am considering calling this on people in the future, if anything I am the distracted guy that misses throws. I started this thread because a post in another thread made me realize I often violate this rule, and I am very good about playing by the rules in general. I really just wanted to start a conversation about this rule.

Please remember this is hypothetical, and it seems most of the people taking flak are saying that this rule COULD be called, not that they would call it.

i wonder how many of these clowns check everyones disc for correct weight, flexibility and personal markers in their referee duties?

i wonder how many of these clowns check everyones disc for correct weight, flexibility and personal markers in their referee duties?

All of those are in the tech specs which apply to manufacturers, I haven't seen the RC confirm that they expect or want players trying to enforce that.

how in the world is it the manufacturers duty to make sure players put an identifying mark on their plastic?

I didn't see that point, and I have seen people point it out and offer a sharpie. I was referring to the weight and flex test.

So let me get this straight. If I go to another player on my round and ask if they were watching where that shot went, and they didn't see it, they can be penalized? And I could do that on every stroke? Really???? If I did this, I doubt anyone would ever play with me again. Sound's like fun.

For a rules stickler, you sure do seem pretty willing to bend them to your advantage...

I guess that kinda came out bad! Thats not quite what I was going for, I was about 4 hours in to a 8 hour long class teaching a medical charting program. I wasn't in the greatest mood :)

I'll just use that as my excuse. When I play, Im picky about following the rules. Sure, I don't need to but I would like to play leagues and tournaments in the future. I figure I would start getting in the habit right now.

I dont expect everyone to be watching all the throws. I have fun disc golfing, as everyone should. I have fun, because Im either pushing myself to become better (Im very competitive) or because Im with a group of friends enjoying a nice day. Part of that enjoyment is watching everyone throw. I don't want to throw with someone who doesn't say a word, and keeps to themselves the whole round. I dont think that really plays into what this game is about.

Thats just my personal opinion.

New rule proposal:

The throwing player must announce in a loud voice in four directions the following, before he/she throws:

"Hey everybody, watch me!"

I wouldn't have called it. Provided you hadn't already had a warning, it would have just been a free rethrow.
By that logic, you should never call it, as the first violation is always just "a free rethrow" and so you will never get to the point that the player has a warning so he will never get the penalty. Can you not see the fault in your own logic?

And to all the "I would punch you in the face" and "I hope I never play with you ever" type commenters: Why do you even bother reading the rules forum, when you apparently have no regards for the rules at all? What is the point? Is it just to point out that you are "too cool, for rules"? I don't get it.
This is what's wrong with dic golf: Too many f***ing stupid players!

New rule proposal:

The throwing player must announce in a loud voice in four directions the following, before he/she throws:

"Hey everybody, watch me!"

I do exactly that if it's a shot with some risk of a lost disc and the group isn't paying attention. I'll say something like "hey guys, mind helping me keep an eye on this?"

I do exactly that if it's a shot with some risk of a lost disc and the group isn't paying attention. I'll say something like "hey guys, mind helping me keep an eye on this?"

I've also done the same thing. Winter rounds in the snow in particular since every throw represents a fair risk of losing the disc.

I must be lucky. Among our crew it's always been normal to run ahead and spot on sketchy shots. It just simplifies things. The extra time it takes is made up for by rarely having to search for discs.

I must be lucky. Among our crew it's always been normal to run ahead and spot on sketchy shots. It just simplifies things. The extra time it takes is made up for by rarely having to search for discs.

That's not abnormal amongst most folks, I would think. Groups I play with tend to spot the blind shots every time.

But the topic at hand is players at the tee watching the thrower and the throw. Spotter or not, having as many eyes as possible on the throw can only aid in locating it.

That's not abnormal amongst most folks, I would think. Groups I play with tend to spot the blind shots every time.

But the topic at hand is players at the tee watching the thrower and the throw. Spotter or not, having as many eyes as possible on the throw can only aid in locating it.

I realize that. It just seems strange to me that you would ignore what is going on. I pretty much watch every shot just as a matter of course. I bothered to come to the course and play but I'm too busy to pay attention? Makes no sense. Shouldn't have to be a rule.

I realize that. It just seems strange to me that you would ignore what is going on. I pretty much watch every shot just as a matter of course. I bothered to come to the course and play but I'm too busy to pay attention? Makes no sense. Shouldn't have to be a rule.

I agree with you. But, do not underestimate the power of the smartphone, mobile apps, social media, etc., to draw people's attention away from what's happening around themselves.

I agree with you. But, do not underestimate the power of the smartphone, mobile apps, social media, etc., to draw people's attention away from what's happening around themselves.

Those are other peoples issues. I have no sympathy for someone who can't restrain themselves. I don't care if your girls clam chowder was cold. You went to the park for a purpose. Now you're making it everyone else's issue. Sit at home with your phone if that's what you want. I could say the same for almost everyone in line at Chipotle. We all have issues. ;)

Disc Golf Etiquette 101: Paying Attention: Keep your eyes and ears peeled or you get punched in the face.

Watching the pros play and walking behind their group is the best way to learn tournament etiquette. They are usually very quiet and they do watch most if not all throws made by their cardmates. No cell phones/no pot smoking/no laughing and loud cavorting, just playing this game as it was meant to be played. We had a pro dude at our course and it was a pleasure to watch him play. I NEVER saw him distracted and if you wanted to know where your disc was he could almost always tell you exactly where it was. Hell he knew how many throws you made on the last hole.
If we could just be more aware that we as a group are playing the same game and courtesy and paying attention is all that is asked of us then I would think the DG experience would be much better for all.
And everyone knows that one guy that stands on the pad and says " Hey, watch this!" He should be the one to get the darn violation called on him! hehehehe

I don't understand why people take it so personal when rules are called. If people don't like the PDGA rules, play casual rounds. Problem solved!

I've only called one courtesy violation in 20+ years of tourney play. During the 2011 Pro Worlds I was called on a stance violation while putting. I was straddling and a foreign player said my right foot was one inch in front of my left....yes really. I asked if any one else saw the violation which no one had. I gave them both a courtesy violation for not watching. So it can be called on a putt also, not just drives.

I think when some one falls on a drive the tendencies are to watch/check on the player and not see where the disc ended up. On a regular drive people should be watching all throws.

Latest posts