• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Crazy playing styles/throwing techniques... That work?!

First one that comes to mind is Ms Azie Rogers from this video from the 2016 Phoenix Ladies Open posted today- what a run up!

See 1:10

I saw that video (side note: thanks to the Disc Golf Guy for putting some women's DG out there for us) and I agree that it's a "unique" run-up. Seemed to work for the most part, though. Azie's putting his her bane...

A regular in our playing group has adopted standstill driving, even on the longest holes. Says he feels like he has more control that way. :rolleyes: Been doing it for about 6 months...and now he has a shoulder problem. Yeah, no doubt...all arm. :eek:

I was that guy for a year. Instead I didn't have any pain and outdrove almost everyone I played with. Only downside was it took me almost 6 months to get my X-step distance consistently as far as my standstill...

The weirdest thing I've seen is a guy who I have played with many times and has a solid backhand...but on approaches from 50-150' would instead tomahawk/thumber a midrange, on a line drive. It would park the basket every single time. It would even hit, bounce, and roll in different directions towards the pin. He somehow had this thing dialed in like a remote controlled car.

I was messing around the other day and was practicing the wierdest shot. I forgot what it is called but it is the shot where you hold the disc and curl it around to the back of your forearm. Anyways it was that technique with a 360 spin. If you get the angle just right you can crush it and witness one of the craziest flight paths you will ever see

I had a phase where I putted with a Buzzz as nothing else seemed to work, until I found the push/spush putt. I also had a phase where all of my approaches were FH with a Gator, now o can't FH approach for accuracy to save my life. There is a lefty guy in my league who putts almost exclusively Chicken Wing style, some of his approaches are Wings as well. For the longest time the only way my father could throw one hole was to flip his Buzzz upside down LHFH.

I was that guy for a year. Instead I didn't have any pain and outdrove almost everyone I played with. Only downside was it took me almost 6 months to get my X-step distance consistently as far as my standstill...

The weirdest thing I've seen is a guy who I have played with many times and has a solid backhand...but on approaches from 50-150' would instead tomahawk/thumber a midrange, on a line drive. It would park the basket every single time. It would even hit, bounce, and roll in different directions towards the pin. He somehow had this thing dialed in like a remote controlled car.

Perhaps I should clarify...this guy doesn't pivot on his front foot or lift off his back foot during follow-through, it's all arm with him. He's having to massively torque over his "standstill" distance drives as a result, now his shoulder's messed up. You'd better be able to get your body correctly involved throwing that hard from a standstill, or...

I had a phase where I putted with a Buzzz as nothing else seemed to work, until I found the push/spush putt. I also had a phase where all of my approaches were FH with a Gator, now o can't FH approach for accuracy to save my life..

Putting with mids isn't uncommon. Many pros in more olden times would putt with thrashed Rocs and the like. A friend of mine putts with mids, usually a Mako3. And when the wind is beating my face, I'll putt with my Gator.

I've always thought the bonopane bona? grip was weird as hell.
Alan Beaver is a Bonapane thrower.
I'm too lazy to post a link, but look up Brad Hammock - he has the strangest setup I've ever seen.
Second for Brad Hammock. He's the one that leapt to mind when I read the op.

On the other hand, I've seen many strange techniques that did not work out.:doh:

I knew a guy who would putt by thumbing drivers, he would hit chains every single time but it would bounce out more often than not

is it ron russel who also had a odd putting style? I remember an old video of a player who didnt really look at or line up to the basket until he released.

I was messing around the other day and was practicing the wierdest shot. I forgot what it is called but it is the shot where you hold the disc and curl it around to the back of your forearm. Anyways it was that technique with a 360 spin. If you get the angle just right you can crush it and witness one of the craziest flight paths you will ever see

Is that with your thumb on the bottom of the disc and fingers fanned on top?

If so I've heard it called a "caveman" throw. It's useful for ultimate since,
1.) It's an unexpected throwing motion, so tough to defend.
2.) You don't have to re-grip if you catch the disc with your thumb on the bottom, so it can be a very quick catch-to-throw transition.

I've only ever seen one person consistently throw a golf disc in that style: Glen Whitlock (#3513). He could place them pretty well in the 250-300' range, but it just looked super weird.

Latest posts