• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique My Form - Video

What looks better?

• my backhand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • my forehand

Votes: 16 100.0%

• Total voters
likely closing your stance/front shoulder would help a ton to bring the disc down through your body as it starts there but is thrown up by your weight not fully shifting and rotating open. Search closed shoulder drill I think via youtube as well as the most recent form video posted by Will S.

Also remember to accelerate through the pull-- slow to fast

I didn't get a really good look at the flight, but it looks like you're throwing nose up with a downward trajectory, which generally causes the disc to stall out at the end. The pull should be more level.

That's for backhand.

Forehand ... it just looks like it would hurt your elbow. Seems like you're really yanking it.

Holly roller of BH oat! You are leaning back and swinging your arm down. You want to bend the hips so you maintain an athletic throwing posture and swing the arm up to a high finish. You also start rotating before your weight transfers to the front leg, stay turned further back when you plant.

Your FH mechanics are much better, but you reach back with the elbow past parallel the shoulder line which in baseball is known as the dreaded inverted "W", and is a cautionary position for pitchers for putting excess stress on the UCL. I prefer to keep the elbow cocked against the shoulder in the backswing to avoid the elbow moving around and help keep the disc from changing plane during the throw. Your steps are pretty long and flat footed, lighter and smoother feet should help you use your weight better.

Love your fh....looks like you generate a ton of power. You are completely brute forcing your bh...slower level

Thanks for the input, dudes. Keep it coming. Know of any drills I can do to keep my arm down? I think I developed pulling so high by starting with the most stable discs. Now I've done it so long it is hard to break. Thanks again.

Basically your shoulders, arm and spine should be moving more similar to a ball golf swing, and swinging from under your body/shoulder. Your swing is a huge over the top move trying to smash down on the ball, instead of smashing through the ball to the target. You need to change your posture and the tilt of the spine and your balance to attain that. Pretend you are trying to throw a sledgehammer, use gravity and the weight of the hammer against your core into the backswing and use your core to begin the forward swing. Slow down and shorten the steps, keep lighter on the feet. Throw slower discs and understable discs.

Dropping the throwing shoulder:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88599

Thanks again for all your help. What if I'm attempting to throw an anhyzer or a really stable disc like an ape zone or drone? Should the arm movement still be low to a high finish?

Just change the angle of your spine/ balance so your arm swings on the plane you want to throw.

So that view from the back on your backhand. Are you intending to run up in a striaght line and then release the disc at a 45deg angle. Looks like a grip lock to me

I don't know what I'm doing horsman. Trying to get better. Played the first few years by myself and started with max weight, stable discs. It's really screwed up my form. Sad thing is, I thought form was my strong suit. Hahahah. What a dork.

RHBH- Work on Hyzer Flipping. Get some Understable discs.

FH- Looked pretty good really. Other posters hit it.

Sidewinder, where is the video you posted on another thread of Brinsters slow motion drive? Can't find it! If I remember you can really see the dropping of the shoulder perfectly. Thanks, bud.

I didn't read any other post just watched the first 12 seconds of the video so I may be repeating what has already been written.

The main thing I see is that when you bring the disc back it is down by your waist but you are pulling through at your shoulders. You are bringing the disc up toward your shoulders just before coming forward. This is a movement that can take away from your accuracy and power. This takes you off line and is wasting energy.
Try to bring the disc back on a line that is more consistent with how you want to pull through forward. Straight back, straight forward. Or chest, back, chest, forward, meaning bring the disc to your chest then reach back. Then come forward to the same spot at your chest and pull through but try to be smooth with it. Make it a clean motion not 4 short jerky ones. It may feel jerky the first few times but will become more comfortable with time and will eliminate some of the wasted motion. Try to be smooth and balanced as well. Don't try to throw hard, try to throw well. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't know what I'm doing horsman. Trying to get better. Played the first few years by myself and started with max weight, stable discs. It's really screwed up my form. Sad thing is, I thought form was my strong suit. Hahahah. What a dork.

I feel you man, I played with bad form for 10 years, throwing super over stable discs.

So painful fixing it.

Latest posts