• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my throw

LtDan914

Par Member
Here is a video of me doing some field work. I am throwing from a parking lot to a soccer field about 10-15' below me. There was also a slight right to left tail wind at about 5mph or so.

These felt like some decent throws except some of them were a little off line. I feel like I throw a little nose up and with a bit of OAT. This makes it tough for me trying to throw in a headwind.

I normally throw my rocs a little shy of 350', rhynos about 300', and PDs coming close to 400' with all these being on pretty straight lines. The distances on the video are very rough estimates. The far goal is about 450' according to google earth. The slow motion parts are at 1/4 speed in the vid as well.

Any comments on anything that could improve distance, accuracy, or any general comments are welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF_K...DvjVQa1PpcFPDwAHpeJlP_cgmEhx6nx6w_9xUlLkBi1I=

Safety first put your tongue in so that in faster run ups with more up and down bouncing force from the steps you won't bite your tongue. The plant foot is having too much contact on the ground. The toe should land first and you should roll on the corner of the sole and the left side of the shoe onto the heel with the ball of the foot up during the heel pivot and move to the ball of the foot for the follow through. This is made more difficult by utilizing more weight shift than is optimal for accuracy and consistency. By planting to the left of the line you run on. That also tilts your body from the foot up to an anny and that is why you move so far to the right in the follow through. You are out of balance and it robs a little D. Notice how your follow through step is too short with Rocs? At that power there should be more momentum to carry you farther forward. The result is less power and accuracy from not being perfectly balanced. The follow through step should be a mirror image of the plant step.

The elbow is barely past the right side when you start to straighten the elbow. Have you tried pushing the upper arm an inch short of pointing straight at the target before straightening the arm? Don't go too far or the elbow will lock and all the momentum created up to that point will try to rip your muscles and tendons apart in the arm.

The arm does drop late in the follow through for OAT. Your arm pull starts out pretty fast early on. Not full tilt from the reach back but not too many inches after that. Have you tried later full acceleration points and how do you get the most distance? It varies from person to person it would seem.

Your hips twist well right of neutral at times, not always, but the shoulders are along for the ride not turning beyond the angle set by the hips. Lost power. The same is true for the left leg lifting off of the ground before the rip. It is late so it win't the worst case but keeping it on the ground would be better and you could push more forward instead of up with the left leg. Now you are directing the left leg push for a high jump event. A better direction would be straight forward.

You lose a lot of distance in the plant step. In the steps leading up to that your feet point around 160 degrees away from the target but the plant lands at around 80. 80 is good for accuracy and keeping the throws the same in control shots. For D you wanna turn everything 180 away from the target also planting 180 away from the target. Or do a 360 but 180 is golfable. Going in between max golf distance and control shots is the worst of both worlds. So it would be better to stay in controlled mode or full power mode for as often as possible vastly preferring control if the fairways aren't long and wide without hazards.

What does touching the disc with the left hand add for your throw?

Thanks JR. I figured you would write a pretty good critique of my throw. I am currently trying to work on my plant because I know that is not helping my throw. I will also work on getting the elbow more forward. Then try and find the optimal time to start the late acceleration. That should keep me occupied for a while.

It looks like you are throwing too far to me. :)

See you at BG or maybe a round next Tuesday afternoon at Idlewilde or Wednesday morning at Charlie Vettiner?

I noticed where you are at could you get sessions from Dave Greenwell easily once you've tried out those changes? Your form might get so good that you could pick up advanced stuff and having somebody experienced and knowledgeable on hand to give you instant feedback should help.

@JR: I have actually played a round with Greenwell and he seemed impressed with my game for the less than two years I had been playing. He actually talked about the idea of individual lessons when I played with him.

@Whiz: You can never throw too far :) I probably can't do idlewild and Wednesday I am not done with class until noon but am free after that. If it fits in your schedule, you should try and play Seviren Lang in Georgetown, In. It is not very wooded like your typical Charlotte course but is fun and challenging. It is the course I normally play on the weekdays after class.

Cool, we may have to try to fit in Seviren Lang. Scott has never played Idlewilde so I think that will be our main priority to hit but I don't think either of us would mind skipping Vettiner. Looking forward to playing with you again at BG.

LtDan914 said:
@JR: I have actually played a round with Greenwell and he seemed impressed with my game for the less than two years I had been playing. He actually talked about the idea of individual lessons when I played with him.

@Whiz: You can never throw too far :) I probably can't do idlewild and Wednesday I am not done with class until noon but am free after that. If it fits in your schedule, you should try and play Seviren Lang in Georgetown, In. It is not very wooded like your typical Charlotte course but is fun and challenging. It is the course I normally play on the weekdays after class.

How cool is that?!!!!! :shock:

Latest posts