• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cubby Ace question....

Ace or Cubby

• Ace

Votes: 24 58.5%
  • Cubby

Votes: 17 41.5%

• Total voters

Oregon_Nole

Birdie Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Ok, so I question about whether or not an ace would be a cubby or not, but first, some background info to explain how I've arrived at this question...

So for the first five or so years that I played, I was 95% FH off the tee. Within the last year, I've been frustratingly forcing myself to learn backhand. Now, I've switched the trend to 90% BH off the tee. I'll FH when the hole or conditions dictate it, but if a BH route is available, I'm trying it.

Some days, when the course is empty, I'm alone, and I've got time to kill, I'll play a FH v BH round, in essence, playing two rounds in one. The only stipulation is I have to throw one FH and one BH off the tee, each hole. After the drive, I can FH or BH, whatever is the better shot.

I'll play as if they are two players in regards to order off the tee. So here's the question. If say I FH first, then BH second, not because it is the smarter or better shot, but just because FH had honors. If my BH aces, would you consider that an ace or a cubby ace?

Last edited:
In my opinion, no matter how you try and justify it, if it is your second throw from the same tee, its cubby.

Who cares, if you want to call it an ace, call it an ace. Seriously who out there gives someone the third degree on their aces?

No third degree, he wants to know how other people would call it. I really could care less if he calls it an ace or not. I said IN MY OPINION that I would call it a cubby ace.

No third degree, he wants to know how other people would call it. I really could care less if he calls it an ace or not. I said IN MY OPINION that I would call it a cubby ace.

I didn't mean you were giving the third degree. I just meant if someone asks or he brings it up and is like "I have x amount of aces" is there anyone out there that's going to ask if they were all on first throw, etc.

Some of the people that ask this question just seem like they are looking for approval or justification, just call it an ace if you want to and move on. No one really cares about your ace count but you, ya know?

Sorry, I thought it was a personal attack! You are right though, no one is going to ask if they are 1st throw aces, unless maybe you tell them you have 100 aces!

I would say that if your intention was to play and score two unique rounds at one time (fh vs bh) then you would be justified in calling it an ace.

I don't know.

I'm just going to post that in Ace threads from now on because nobody can ever agree on what to call these shots. I wish it was only considered an Ace in a full round where you only throw one disc per shot (like a normal round of golf), it would make it a lot easier to define.

Congrats on your shot though.. No matter what you call it, it always feels good to watch your disc slam chains from the tee!!

I would say its an ace you are basiclly playing two rounds in one as long as you are keeping track of what your forehand discs are doing and your backhand are doing also. now if you were to just drive with fh and bh then pick up your shot that is further away and take the best shot out of the two and call it your score then i would call it a chubby. I dont find any thing wrong with playing two different ways on a tee and keeping track of the scores differently i.e. fh and bh since they are two different scores your fh would score a one and your bh woud score a 2 (if your fh was the ace and bh was a bird)

I played with a guy last night who said he only had one ace. He got it on hole 1 of the tiki course. It's about 60ft and I often putt it in with my bag on my shoulder. He said he will call it an ace until he has a legit one. I just thought I would share.

I voted ace. Before I typically play a tournament I warm up by throwing a few holes. I often throw 3 or 4 shots on most holes. If one is an ace I will call it an ace. I don't stand at the shortest basket on a course with a video camera and unload my bag until I ace it. That's the difference between a cubby ace and a practice ace. Then there are tournament aces. I have at least 30 of those.

I voted ace. Before I typically play a tournament I warm up by throwing a few holes. I often throw 3 or 4 shots on most holes. If one is an ace I will call it an ace. I don't stand at the shortest basket on a course with a video camera and unload my bag until I ace it. That's the difference between a cubby ace and a practice ace. Then there are tournament aces. I have at least 30 of those.

Perfect, post this in every "is this an ace" thread from now on please.

That is how I roll too, except I have never hit an ace!

In my opinion, no matter how you try and justify it, if it is your second throw from the same tee, its cubby.

he said he's throwing two rounds in one.

thrembo, i think you are thinking that he is throwing twice from the tee, then taking the better throw and finishing the hole. in that case i would call it a cubby if it was me. let me know if i'm wrong in that assumption thrembo :)

but remember that he is playing two rounds in one. for example, throwing two drives, two approaches, two putts for two different scores... this is a whole new animal and i've done this when pressed for time.

i don't suggest doing this if you are along and drinking because it becomes very difficult to remember what you scored on the last hole.

i would call this an ace because you got it playing a regular round with the stipulation that you were actually playing two regular rounds at once.

--if any of you have never tried playing two rounds at once, give it a shot. it's harder than you might think.--

but in the end, call it what you want. people can have their opinion about what they would label something for themselves but you don't have to copy them.

I know people who play the same course everyday and play 3 or 4 rounds a day. I don't see the difference between these people getting an ace on a hole they played 4 times already today and the person who took a second tee shot.

Then there are tournament aces. I have at least 30 of those.

But do you have 2 in the same day on the same Hole # on 2 different courses with 1 of them on film which was called with the exact flight path before the throw on the tee pad to the foursome at the same disc golf complex which just changed names? :p

:):):thmbup:

If you put a 1 on the score card, then it's an ace. Plain and simple. If you were tracking to separate scores, and one of those had a 1 on the score card, then it sounds like an ace to me.

I am saying cubby ace, and if it matters at all I helped bring the term into common usage (one of the first to have it in my sig). Still a good shot though. Even if you threw the second left-handed I would call it a cubby. (Interesting note, in bowling you can have different averages for R v L hand, basically like you are two different players).