• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cycle or move to Better Plastic?

DX is certainly far less durable than premium plastics, but you're not giving it enough credit. Slow drivers in that speed 6/7 range do not get destroyed as quickly as you seem to think. Throw whatever you want, I don't care, but I've got DX Gazelles, Teebirds, and even Valkyries that contradict what you're saying.

Yea, I've got a few DX drivers that I will not part with ;) and I'm working others in to replace.

With good plastic (star or champion) you can get years out of a disc without noticing any significant flight changes.

The only reason you don't notice is because the change is so gradual. They do change significantly though. Just takes 1 season instead of 1 throw like DX.

I reject this thread on principle!

You don't have to choose between cycling OR moving to better plastic.

It is possible to cycle with better plastics (although it takes longer) or a mix of materials within the same mold.

Haha kind of, not 100% IMO but your right is close.

The reason I said that is because I have a DX Teebird, got it a long time ago. Hit a few trees, then noticed that on some tunnel shots on my home course, the DX Teebird and Star TL were following the same lines. Ergo, very similar flights once that DX Teebird seasoned in. And to that point, I'd prefer having the durable Star (and/or Champ) TL that doesn't wear in quickly and holds those lines longer.

hmm, I like old, beat to crap DX Teebirds, but I can't throw a new champ one worth a darn. AND I KEEP TRYING. do both! buy some good plastic and keep throwing the beat in stuff.

Tuning discs does exist everyone. If you smack a tree with an already 7/10 DX disc, bend the outside rim upward (evenly). That negates a majority of the "understableness" that occurred.

I'm on team premium and base plastic...throw it all. Don't write off base stuff just because you refuse to bend the rim back a little.

DX is certainly far less durable than premium plastics, but you're not giving it enough credit. Slow drivers in that speed 6/7 range do not get destroyed as quickly as you seem to think. Throw whatever you want, I don't care, but I've got DX Gazelles, Teebirds, and even Valkyries that contradict what you're saying.

Agreed. DX fairways should have a decent lifespan. Not as good as DX mids, but still acceptable.

I love the grip and flight of DX, but at driver speeds durability can be nonexistent. I think Pro is a good compromise plastic for speed 6 and up. There is a noticeable increase in durability vs DX, but the discs don't start out as overstable as their premium counterparts. (If the DX that they have been using for Roc3s and Thunderbirds has become standard for the full lineup, I would strongly consider switching my entire bag speed 9 and under to DX.)

You can push the lower grade plastics to higher speeds on the overstable side of the lineup. The rim is generally more blunt than a similar speed stable or understable disc.

DX Thunderbirds in particular are really durable. They should be perfect for cycling. I haven't gotten one beaten truly flippy yet, but I have high hopes.

I've got DX Gazelles, Teebirds, and even Valkyries that contradict what you're saying.

Funny you mention the Valkyrie...I've got a 168g DX that I couldn't throw at all when I first got it. It felt heavy, didn't go very far, and had too much fade. So I hung it up on the wall.

After getting my arm speed up and finally being able to throw my Sidewinder, Tern, and Beast properly, I pulled the Valkyrie back out today and it flew beautifully. For me it flew basically like a much longer, fresh, DX Leo3. Actually I like it's flight and distance better than my Beast! Only thing I don't like us it's red (Beast is glow in the dark white)...lately I haven't been able to see red disc at all.

Thanks to everyone for your tremendous amount of help!

TripleB

I don't buy red discs. I can't see them until I step on them.

Truth!!! Didn't realize that when I started playing several months ago...have a beat to pieces DX Leo, a 2nd DX Leo, and this Valkyrie in red - can't hardly find any of them. The only disc I've bought since the beginning that's red is my putting putter...hopefully I can't lose it.

TripleB

You guys are crazy red star plastic was the best star for years. Way more champy-star than any other color. They might be tough to find but the plastic is amazing.

I've held more than a few of those and I can't argue. But I always put them back. No sense throwing something far away that I can't locate. :)

I agree about DX durability. If one wanted to cycle DX drivers then go for it. Things like teebirds and eagles really aren't gonna go from fresh to flippy in one round in my experience. If you play a couple times a week on heavily wooded courses then maybe a month for a noticeable change, but they will stay in that spot a while anyway. You might cycle in a fresh version maybe 3 times a year? 4 times? So what's that like $30-40 a year on keeping the flight you want? Heck I bet most of us spend that on stuff we throw once or twice then put it on a shelf.

You might cycle in a fresh version maybe 3 times a year? 4 times? So what's that like $30-40 a year on keeping the flight you want? Heck I bet most of us spend that on stuff we throw once or twice then put it on a shelf.

I agree that DX isn't a one-and-done plastic (though Discraft Pro-D might be). But to keeping the flight you want, the counter-argument is that you can buy a Star or (especially) a Champion plastic disc for $15 or less and use it for SEVERAL years and it holds the flight pattern or changes very very slowly. This is one reason I prefer premium plastic for all but putters; over time, it's more cost-efficient.

Latest posts