• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Cyclone.....Love it or Hate it?

Dookville

Eagle Member
My daughters each got an eliteX Cyclone 166g in their players packs for playing in the Womens Global Event. They are an ugly tiedyed looking piece of crap. They have tried throwing them, but being little girls, they are too heavy and too stable for them.

So I've been throwing them to beat em up a bit for the girls, and you know what, I kinda like them. They glide pretty good and they have just enough stabilty to be a neutral driver out to 300ish. I'm not real hot on the elitex plastic but might want to see what other options there are and keep one in the bag.

Am I crazy, or is this disc worth keepin on with?

I hated it when I first tried it, but I never gave it a second chance.
Most discs that I try for a second time I really end up liking.

love it. cyclone 2. was given to me and i used it as my "i dont give a crap if this goes in the water" hyzer disc

6 months later it went in the water and i swam out to get it

Absolutely love it.
In between the gazelle and eagle, the cyclone is the roc of fairways. It flys how a disc should fly.
I used to carry xl's, avengers, and preds but now just use clones and preds (tsunami). Itll go sweepin hyzer, hyzer flip, roll curve, anny, and more.
Where they really shine is in their life cycle; they definitely age well.
I use esp (a super stable blend) and tp (cactus stamp, possibly dc's best blend of base plastic ever).
Ive only tried elite x once and it was flippy garbage...its ideally a super forgiving disc but the x wasnt and i couldnt power up well on it. The chalky d's ive had are nice though.

Absolutely love it.
In between the gazelle and eagle, the cyclone is the roc of fairways. It flys how a disc should fly.QUOTE]

That little nugget right there is how I'm feeling about it, thought I might be crazy. I didn't want to fall in love with some failing mold that was gonna be gone anytime soon. Thanks

I had one for two days until I threw it in the water. Grrrr... I liked how it felt like a mid in the hand but flew like a true driver. Really wish I had my name and number on that thing!

I hated it the first time I tried it (The rim just felt weird). I recently threw an ESP, and loved it. It felt like a longer buzzz. I don't have a spot of fit in my bag though.

I've had Cyclones in the bag for the last 16 years. They are my workhorse control driver. They hold the line you put them on and they fade forward i.e. they don't dump left when they slow down, they continue to penetrate forward. It is a great disc.

I don't throw them anymore but have lots of love for them.

Back in 97 or 98 sometime I found one on a course and the first time I threw the Cyclone it went over 330 ft for my longest drive ever at the time. A few months later I got my first Ace with it.

A Z Cyclone was the first disc I bought and I still have them in my bag today. Of my 8 aces, 6 were with z cyclones. Great control driver. And if you're worried about them going extinct I wouldn't. There are so many ESP's out there and without trying too hard or spending much cash I collected a nice stack of Elite Z's.

Cyclone is a great disc. Consistent, easy flying disc. If I wasn't happy with the bag setup I've got, I'd probably get the Cyclone back in there.

The Cyclone is not only one of the most versatile discs out there, but it's also easy to throw. Plus, it seems to mold up well in high end (ESP at least, many dislike Z a lot) plastic. It's one of the best fairway drivers out there.

I love my ESP Cyclone.

I used to hate it but I can now throw the thing flat and wind doesn't mess with it at all. I liken it to a more stable, slightly longer buzzz.

I'm looking for a lighter one though in the 160's to compare to mine though.

Love it. I have a very old model, early/mid 90s (the stamp is different than the one on the Swedish database) that is/was my go-to RHFH and RHFH roller disc. 'tis 174 grams and as an extra bonus, it was given to me by one of the owners of a deli/coffee shop/disc store near my home town (now think about all of those things being in a single shop in a small office complex).

Love it!

I've got an ESP, which functions as a longer version of my go-to Flat top Roc. I can throw all of the same lines, but with a bit more D.

The Roc feels better in my hand than any other disc, and the Cyclone feels very similar.