• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Cyclone.....Love it or Hate it?

I am really diggin that it flys well on low lines and will take some height under it and not stall. I swore off Discraft a long time ago, looks like a few more plastic purchases looming.

I think it's a solid disc, albeit the only Discraft in my bag. At first I thought the rim felt weird. I got used to it though, and I agree with the roc rim comparison. It's an ESP with a funky stormcloud blueish grey dye. Marked 173g I think, but scaled at 175g which suits me fine. Definitely a straight flyer with a mild fade finish. Seems to handle some wind with no problem.

Made a hero shot a few weeks ago with it from about 235~250. Kept it low under overhanging branches all the way down the fairway, across a small creek just in front of the basket, and parked it.

My fellow lady dg'er loves them. I didn't like it so I gave her mine that I got in a players pack. It's just ehhh on my end.

I love the Cyclone. If I didn't have my current love affair with the XL, I would probably throw Cyclones. Cyclone was one of the first discs I played with. I miss all the Cactus Stamped Cyclones I use to have :(

It was the first discraft disc I bought in the mid nineties. Since I started playing again I picked up an ESP one but it wasn't close enough to the cactus stamp ones I remember so I got a few of those. I use one that is old and beat as my main roller disc. They really are a great flying fairway driver.

Got some field work in tonight with the Cyclones. The more I work with them, the more they are growing on me. They are just dead nuts straight, with just a tad bit of turn. I was getting them out to about 330' with only a fair amount of effort. I was really impressed with the hyzer line that they can carry. I'm not gonna be able to part with these things. :)

After trying for a year to find a back-up light-weight Typhoon, I went to the smaller but more accessible Cyclone. Now that I've disced-down I find the Cyclone and the Stalker are the 2 discs I grab the most. Both are pretty straight at slow speeds with really predictable fade. My DX Cyclones are getting beat-in well on our wooded courses and now have a bit of turn with just a touch of fade. I highly recommend the DX Cyclone for anyone without a big arm looking for a main driver. Even in the 150 class it handles wind surprisingly well.:thmbup:

I loaned one of mine out and it looks like I'll never get it back so I picked up an Elite X replacement last weekend. I'm curious to see what the differences are in flight pattern with the 2 different plastics.

Just got an upper 160's X Cyclone last night and am really liking it. I had read some people calling it a longer Comet, and I'd have to say that is a fair comparison. Of course since he Cyclone is longer/faster, it is also more overstable, but not what I'd call an overstable disc at all. It has lots of glide and holds the lines I throw it on well. It powers down also. The course I've played 3 rounds on and many holes of practice with it already, is short and open. I've used it on several holes that I normally throw midranges on with reallly good success, so I think it powers down nicely.

Already managed to bang this one up pretty good and it's still nice and stable. I was wanting a disc in a fairway speed that isn't as overstable as a Teebird, yet is quite more stable than a Diamond, looks like this is going to do the trick!

I think it may be one of the best tweener discs that I've thrown. It's fairly capable of handling midrange type height and slower speeds as well as full on driver line rips. It forehands, tommys, thumbers, and rolls pretty well also. I am thinking about getting one in ESP, reportedly they are more stable and can handle a headwind better. Just as its getiing broken in my daughter is asking for it back, hehehehe, nice.

The Roc feels better in my hand than any other disc, and the Cyclone feels very similar.

I agree. If you like Rocs, you'll like Cyclones. The fade is predictable but gentle, with forward penetration, as Three Putt said. I like them best in ESP. In my opinion, the D Cyclones beat to flippy way too easily, and you'll want to avoid the Z Cyclone, which was a disappointing meathook and is out of production. That leaves the choice between X and ESP, with the ESP having less turn but better stability into the wind. To me it's a lot like a faster Roc, with the Roc being a slow mid with long, straight glide and the Cyclone being a slow fairway driver with long, straight glide.

Two big thumbs up for the Cyclone. :thmbup::thmbup:

My beat Pro-D Cyclone is now nice and understable. It came in a Beginner set a couple years ago. I don't have it in my bag right now but it's certainly useful.

I love the cyclone. I recently started throwing the ESP's and wouldnt want a bag without one. if I Controllable distance it has to be the cyclone.

I picked up a couple TP ron russel's from Timko and fell in love. Lithicon told me it was like a longer Roc and he is darn right.

Lately I have been carrying an anode and 2 cyclones. 1 really beat up and one newish. I have some ESP cyclones but they are much more overstable, will take some time to beat them in. It is about as good as a comet for teaching. But teaching a driver instead of snap and arm speed.

ah the Cyclone. I fell in love with this disc a few years ago. I have a stack of old Tourney Pros that I dug out of the used bin in different PIAS stores. It was my favorite driver for a good while.

It is a slow disc and a tweener by today's standards. It is the most shapeable disc I've thrown. I've been thinking about putting it back in the bag since I have so damn many of them (over 20).

I do have some lighter weight TPs that I'm willing to sell.

Well this thread has motivated me to go downstairs and dig out my 173g Purple ESP. I've got so much overlap that one more won't kill me, maybe this will end up kicking the Star TL out of the bag.

I have an ESP and use it as my "S" turn disc. It will turn but always come back. The only think I don't care for is the rim. I just don't like beads.

Is there something with more of a Buzzz like rim but with the same flight?