• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] D2 vs. Destroyer

I am looking to pair another driver with my PD2s. I would like to use destroyers because of their controlled distance and glide over the PD2. It seems that the two most common variants of star destroyers out there are the Avery stamped and bottom stamped, both of which based on some thread digging are notoriously beefy. What can I expect from the D2 in various plastics and weights? or should I just stick with the destroyers and have some overlap in my bag until they beat in and season?

I have thrown both many times. The destroyer is an amazing consistent overstable disc which is proven on the field. I picked up a few d2s because everyone was raving about them. I honestly hated them, they flew ok but definitely not a go to disc or a disc id put in front of other discs in my bag. I don't agree with their ratings at all. Some people swear by them but after countless disappointed throws i sold my d2s.

too bad comparing one D2 to one Destroyer is pretty useless being both models are extremely inconsistently molded. Pretty sure there are D4's which fly as OS as a D2 and vice-versa. Destroyers are not quite as bad but given plastic-- they could be.

When most people recommend a disc I have found they generally only threw ONE of them and not for very long. Distance drivers are the trickiest for this kind of question as well as you will get the widest variation in flight given skill level and technique. Its likely you can find a destroyer which flies like a D1, D2, D3, D4 or depending on the D series driver there is a destroyer out there to match.

Last edited:
I am looking to pair another driver with my PD2s.
After throwing D2's for a long time (and still not completely giving up on them) I'd say that maybe the proto and 1st runs were inconsistent, but the production runs have been the most consistent Prodigy disc I've thrown to date. Both the 400g and 400s plastics flew the same, with the 400s's beating in a bit faster due to the slightly stiffer plastic.

I've not thrown Destroyers so I can't compare the two, but I'd say that a max weight 400g D2 could fill that spot you're looking for next to the PD2. That's what I was using next to my PD2, however I recently took the D2 out of the bag in favor of an S-Line DD2 as I'm able to consistently get more distance from the DD2 with a very similar flight path. I've seen the S-DD2 compared to a Destroyer, so you may want to add that to your list of potential candidates for comparison.

EDIT: If you are going to check out the DD2, be sure it's either C- or S-Line. The Blizzard and P-Line DD2 is much more understable. Not comparable to the S- or C- imo.

Last edited:
Agreed on all statements saying they're incomparable bc they're both wildly inconsistent.
I throw D1s as my max D driver and I prefer it over DS bc I love the 400s plastic. I'm a champion plastic fan & 400s provides the feel of a sexy champ but without sacrificing star glide. I think the D2 vs. DS debate boils down to the feel of the plastic that you prefer.

400s FTW

I use to throw Destroyers for about a year, but I never clicked with them. Everyone I played with threw them, so I had to give them a try initially. I had thrown many friends Destroyers on top of throwing my own. I've had a range of 165g-max and found them to be lacking. My favorite was a 166 gummy champ, but I lost it of course. I ended up giving the Prodigy line-up a chance and my go to disc is a 400g D2. I also have a nipple top xout D3 that flies exaclty like it with slightly less fade. I still stay in the same weight range of 165g-max. For me it was all about the inner rim being more comfortable and why I decided to swith to Prodigy.

I am looking to pair another driver with my PD2s. I would like to use destroyers because of their controlled distance and glide over the PD2. It seems that the two most common variants of star destroyers out there are the Avery stamped and bottom stamped, both of which based on some thread digging are notoriously beefy. What can I expect from the D2 in various plastics and weights? or should I just stick with the destroyers and have some overlap in my bag until they beat in and season?

What plastic line of PD2 are you throwing?

If C-line: Everything will be more understable, so pair whatever you like

If S-line: In Destroyers I'd recommend a softer Echo Star, has more turn. Alternatively, Discmania DD.

P-line probably has the most overlap with Destroyers. So I'd look at something more understable altogether.

I am trying to fill the max distance slot in my bag, when i first started playing i got a new pre-avery dayglow star destroyer with patent numbers 175g for 8 bucks pop top and is almost like a champ/star hybrid looking plastic im putting it in the 425' range. I found I cannot replace this disc easily and destroyers are a crapshot.

would going with a d1 and d2 be a safer bet than trying to find OS destroyers? keep in mind i can only purchase discs over the internet no retailers within 50 miles

ESP Forces would be a safer bet than Destroyers or Dsomethings. They are always overstable and beat in nicely.

I throw C-PD2 they are so solid they are sticking around for a while. I ordered a few different types of destroyers and decided to try them out, they prodigy was too pricey. I have a 169 Star AJ, 171 Gstar, and 170 Echo star.

I have a 175g star jenkins i just bought a month ago to back up my older destroyer thinking it would be plenty overstable without being stupid overstable turns out it was less stable than the seasoned one I had. It bombs my farthest disc easily, parked a 456' marked hole with it but if there is a breath of wind forget it...

Im not that worried about the max distance slot in my bag as I'm either throwing a firebird/ion/roc3 90% of the time around here its just a void I would like to fill

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Today I picked up 2 new Star Destroyers, and a 400G D2. This is the first time I've thrown prodigy (other than putting with PA3 for a short time before locking in the Reko).
I've thrown many destroyers, and these both fly like your typical stable Destroyers with a reliable fade at the end.

On first impression of the D2. The 400G plastic feels fantastic. However... Holy hell, meathook would be an understatement. It almost flew like a tilt (if you can call it flying). On a full power backhand on anny release, it immediately pulled out of it and literally flipped to a vertical hyzer and flipped upside down... On a forehand, I intentionally went full power wrist roll, and it still fought out and basically flipped upside down the other way... Is this normal?

I have 400 feet of power, and typically bounce between my Wraiths and Destroyers for distance. I assumed the D2 was supposed to be in that realm, but dang...

Any insight here?

Update. I didn't notice it at first, but I found a fairly significant puddle indent on the flight plate of the D2. Assuming this must have a pretty significant affect on the flight path. It basically has zero glide and wants to hit the ground immediately.

Update. I didn't notice it at first, but I found a fairly significant puddle indent on the flight plate of the D2. Assuming this must have a pretty significant affect on the flight path. It basically has zero glide and wants to hit the ground immediately.

It's definitely because of the warped flight plate. I bag quite a few D2s, they're quite similar to Destroyers. The 400 and 400G plastic fly similar to a McBeth Destroyer, 500 and 750G tend to be just a tad more understable and have less fade, more similar to an Avery Destroyer (based on my personal experience). However, the production isn't quite as consistent, so the stabilities can vary greatly, which is why I bag about 6 of them, they cover almost all the slots from understable to meathook.

Bringing this thread back from the dead...

Today I picked up 2 new Star Destroyers, and a 400G D2. This is the first time I've thrown prodigy (other than putting with PA3 for a short time before locking in the Reko).
I've thrown many destroyers, and these both fly like your typical stable Destroyers with a reliable fade at the end.

On first impression of the D2. The 400G plastic feels fantastic. However... Holy hell, meathook would be an understatement. It almost flew like a tilt (if you can call it flying). On a full power backhand on anny release, it immediately pulled out of it and literally flipped to a vertical hyzer and flipped upside down... On a forehand, I intentionally went full power wrist roll, and it still fought out and basically flipped upside down the other way... Is this normal?

I have 400 feet of power, and typically bounce between my Wraiths and Destroyers for distance. I assumed the D2 was supposed to be in that realm, but dang...

Any insight here?

I've thrown 4 or 5 D2s over the years in varying plastics. None of them fly as you describe, nor do they have warped/puddled flight plates.

The D2 for me flies like a Raider or a somewhat beat in star Destroyer. The D2 handles power well, but will turn on hard throws. It glides decently and covers distance decently. I've gotten D2s out to about 450'.

I've thrown a few D1s that don't even fly like you're describing. I think you got a bad D2. Sounds like there's something very wrong with it.

Ok so I attempted to take some photos of the defect... The first 2 photos show the side of the flight plate with the indent, and the 3rd photo is the other side of the disc where it has a nice smooth dome.
Am I out of line here to say that this is a defective disc? I realize there's always some variation in flight and stability, even with the same molds. But this disc is absurdly overstable, and clearly (to me) has a production defect.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.15.51 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.15.51 PM.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.16.01 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.16.01 PM.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.16.11 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-08-16 at 10.16.11 PM.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 30
Ok so I attempted to take some photos of the defect... The first 2 photos show the side of the flight plate with the indent, and the 3rd photo is the other side of the disc where it has a nice smooth dome.
Am I out of line here to say that this is a defective disc? I realize there's always some variation in flight and stability, even with the same molds. But this disc is absurdly overstable, and clearly (to me) has a production defect.

Could you take a picture of the wing profile as well? Seems to have really high PLH for a D2, but it's difficult to judge from those angles.

Latest posts