• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dan Beato Drive Analysis

black udder

* Ace Member *
Thanks to edrift101 we have a few drives of Dan in slo-mo. it's stickied in the technique primer thread, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoOi2Cg0dk8

Nice. Thanks to all who put that together. Now if I could get most of that stuff into my throw I would be money.

One small question. In the first video the throw starts with the right leg while the others start with a small step with the left leg.
Is this a conscious decision?

Yes! On that second throw, you can see how far into the right pec MB gets the disc and how it just rockets out. Really pronounced!

Nice work edrift and BU.

Ain't the disc rip point quite early? Compared to 11.30-11.45 o'clock with 12 being the target and the arm straight.

JR said:
Ain't the disc rip point quite early? Compared to 11.30-11.45 o'clock with 12 being the target and the arm straight.
I was thinking the same thing...that disc looks like it's popping out eariler than I expected, especially on the first two throws. I keep hearing on here that you're supposed to release close to 12:00, but it seems like all the video I watch (including the link to the Pro Drives here on DGR) points more to a 10:00 release, RHBH.

My understanding was that, depending on the angle of the throw, somewhere between 11:00 and 12:00 was right.

I like on the second throw how the disc wanted to drop out of the air, but it couldn't.

I think the early rip perception is just a result of the hit being *way* closer to the chest than I thought. (Much more along the lines Aaron_D and MB has been saying.) The timing seems more like this: disc into right pec ...... left leg push ... shoulders . elbow-chopBAM!

Almost all the power is rotational. The hit is looks more like he's playing tug-of-war with the disc -- disc wants to go straight but he's pulling it back. It's probably just an illusion because of how late the shoulder/arm pull is and how pronounced the wrist extension is.

I suspect it's more a matter of this is how Dan throws successfully. I agree that it does look like they come out early though. Need to go page Dan for some personal insight.

I asked him to check here and give us some insight - what discs, what shots, what distance, etc. so we could get a better grasp of what he's doing.

I would also like to ask about MB's foot pivot.
You have stated before that you use a midfoot/ball pivot, yet all three of these throws use a heel pivot.
Have you changed your pivot or were you doing this on purpose? It looks like you have a longer final step, possibly due to more leg push, this may be the reason for the heel pivot? Which yields more distance or consistency for you?

I also am thinking about the release point, and related to the other thread about release points, it does seem that the elbow does not extend as far forward as commonly thought to be ideal here at DGR. Ie. the elbow punch/forward technique, it seems it is good practice to start from the right pec and work from the hit back in order to learn to get as far forward as you can. However, it seems that the disc really does release from the middle/left pec at the hit according to videos I have seen(including this one). Although we do commonly see throws from the left and behind a RHBH golfer, this may be the cause for the illusion. An above slow motion video of MB would be an interesting view.

I finally got to watch this at home which makes a big difference. Those are some nice smooth throws thats for sure. It does surprise me all the further the elbow goes toward the target. I was thinking that the elbow goes further toward the target before turning. It will be interesting to see what MB has to say.

Blue Ribbon Pines. The whole round was filmed, these are just a few drives from the round.

http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12354

Lets see some 500 footers...those looked closer to 400!!! At least, that's me e-guess since the only one you can really judge is the first which was probably 430ish but it was nose up and would have gone at least another 50 feet had the apex been a little lower or the nose been a little more down. It looked like it sort of stalled after the apex. Awesome drives nonetheless. I want to see some drives off that first tee that hit the trees!!!

Latest posts