• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dan Beato Drive Analysis

Couple new videos you might enjoy. :)

What's in your bag - Dan Beato
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiZ69bFk1uQ

What's in your bag - Jayne Snider
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c53X3CeUeZc

to answer questions all of you have.

the extra extension we all talk about, for one reason, when a lot of people throw they throw pretty much right next to their waist. the extension we talk about is different how it looks for everyone because everyone has a slightly different body position and its an illusion and i am getting it out as far as it should be. i am still leading with my elbow and getting the extension needed to hit it. i am always working on my form and when i do something correct than something else goes wrong and i have to go back and fix it. my issue was letting go of the disc and i will talk about that in a second.

the real key about it is "throwing out in front of you!". it does not matter about how much or how little as long as you release right out in front as if you would be throwing forward (which is where i hope everyone would like to go).

the first hole in the video was only 310'. i fell short because i am just learning how to take off distance by still throwing at 80-85% but manipulating lines nose up, hyzer, low etc... plus i had issues with letting go of the disc (note my hand was wide open after i threw) rather than keeping my hand closed the whole time so it could rip off my index.

the first throw the hole was 310' i could have threw a hyzer with a wizard but i threw a KC Roc (shoulda thrown a pure hyzer).

second throw the hole was about 245' with a low ceiling with a tunnel so i threw a moderately beat roc at it so it could stand up straight at 180' and fade back 35' short and hit the ground with a short skip about 15' right under the basket.

third throw the hole was roughly about 560' but there is a tunnel for the first 60' then a pond another 35' and a clearing after that and that is where i wanted it, a 380' shot is all i was looking for and i threw a slightly beat in DX Teebird but i screwed up and threw it slight anny and went over the pond by that tree.

Dear god I was off on the distance of the first one! So...what I REALLY want to see is some wide open max D stuff.

Yeah, I was way off on those distances, too.

I think this is funny, "a 380' shot is all i was looking for"... uh, yeah, Dan, a 380' shot is all I'm looking for too :)

Now we just need some long holes with a large tree over the teepad for edrift! :D

ok if you want to see a really hard course that has a few bombers then you got it! but we were thinking about Kaposia [24 hole layout]. it has a few open long bombers for you to grit your teeth on.

i will make some design ideas for the new up and coming video and we will give you an estimate of the distance on each hole in text as we approach the teebox and how long each of our drives were in the commentary. make edrift work harder for his money!

so what do you think Joe? 24 holes at Kaposia Minnesota Majestic layout?

hole 16 we will play on or across the path OB as well as in or over the creek OB so we have about 12' to put our drives in the fairway.

this time we will have one camera on the teebox and one camera on the basket. i know we promised that with our last video at Blue Ribbon Pines but we had some set backs but we got it done best we could.

So look forward to the next video and it will kick ass! like a low budget Clash!

We should definitely do two camera angles plus commentary. The way Crump did the Clash was he walked with the card and talked quietly into a tape recorder while the card was playing their round. That way he could get a reaction from the players if they wanted to talk about their shot.

I would be happy to bring my basket for the full 27 hole layout. Hole #9 and #25 are both a pretty short distance from the road so it wouldn't be too big of a hassle to roll it out for each temp hole.

I like the idea of putting distances on the holes. We should also par them, Kaposia was never REALLY pared but there's plenty of good par 4 holes. Technically holes 5, 8, 14, 20, and 26 (majestic layout) are pro par 4s.

holy crap! That's awesome! Hoping you actually do it - would love some commentary either as you play or in retrospect after the round. I really like the insight of the thrower's thoughts before/after the shot - why they chose what they threw and what line they were after, etc. It's some great info straight from the minds of the best players... it's even great to hear it from folks that don't always hit it. At least you know what they were thinking :)

You want to film a bomber set of holes, shoot the old safari Majestic Final 9 at North Valley that's over a mile. Feldberg says it's still his favorite Final 9 layout. The lengths are all measured.

what holes would that be? that sounds like a great idea! would have to go there really early in the morning to get it done, you can come along also if you want Chuck if your not busy an such and play a round or something also.

me and edrift are going to Blue Ribbon Pines again to do a little video of just bombs this sunday since aaron is waiting for it :) i will also show how i aim, how i manipulate lines, and taking off D' by still throwing hard.

what else does everyone want to see?

North Valley provides the elevation to allow some overhead filming angles. The holes used for the Majestic Final 9 in 2003 that Feldberg loved are:
(feet)
(430) Regular 16 to long pin
(700) 17 tee to 12
(685) Regular 15
(850) 16 tee to 1
(320) 2 tee (rev) to 17
(760) 10 tee to 11
(520) 12 tee to 9
(700) Path curve to 13
(1040) Street corner to 15
(Famous "IRS" hole)
TOTAL = 6005 feet for 9 holes

black udder said:
holy crap! That's awesome! Hoping you actually do it - would love some commentary either as you play or in retrospect after the round. I really like the insight of the thrower's thoughts before/after the shot - why they chose what they threw and what line they were after, etc. It's some great info straight from the minds of the best players... it's even great to hear it from folks that don't always hit it. At least you know what they were thinking :)

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the plan, but I won't be working on any more of these "full round" videos. Post production (editing, creating graphics, overdubbing the naughty bits, etc...) eats up too much of my free time and I'd rather be out playing disc golf.

With that said, I'm still down to record tips & tricks, throw analysis videos, etc... Those are quick and painless.

Dan - I found a bunch of quick tips we recorded at Acorn, they would go nicely with what we record on Sunday.

masterbeato said:
what holes would that be? that sounds like a great idea! would have to go there really early in the morning to get it done, you can come along also if you want Chuck if your not busy an such and play a round or something also.

me and edrift are going to Blue Ribbon Pines again to do a little video of just bombs this sunday since aaron is waiting for it :) i will also show how i aim, how i manipulate lines, and taking off D' by still throwing hard.

Not only Aaron :) The plans you have sound great.

edrift101 said:
black udder said:

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the plan, but I won't be working on any more of these "full round" videos. Post production (editing, creating graphics, overdubbing the naughty bits, etc...) eats up too much of my free time and I'd rather be out playing disc golf.

With that said, I'm still down to record tips & tricks, throw analysis videos, etc... Those are quick and painless.

Dan - I found a bunch of quick tips we recorded at Acorn, they would go nicely with what we record on Sunday.

You could always shoot full rounds now and save them for the long winter to do the editing. :wink:

edrift101 said:
black udder said:

I understand completely. If I was there, I'd help for sure. I look forward to when you do have some time for some more rounds and will enjoy whatever you guys can put together.

masterbeato said:

You know, after Blake talked about the elbow stopping and then the forearm coming through, I'd like it if you could discuss that a bit. When watching the Feldberg slow mo video, Blake had said that while Dave doesn't come through close the same as you, his elbow does stop and he has plenty of snap, tendon bounce, etc. So while I've thought that you need to come through close to the chest all the way, it's not necessarily true. You can achieve similar results by coming into the chest and out again instead of completely across.

masterbeato said:

The story of beato. the man behind the plastic... :D

I kid, I will be pleasantly content with some open field bombers. Maybe a section for pure hyzers, annies, straight (hyzer flip) and multi-directional throws.

Latest posts