• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dangerous Course

My favorite is when it would be a reasonably good and safe 9 hole layout, but the designer decides to force fit a 2nd set of tees to make "a full 18."

Now pedestrians have twice as many locations stuff can be heading at them from. :\

Worth repeating:

Couldn't have said it better.

Savannah, TN

Another College Apartment Blunder

While we're calling out college apartment blunders.. check out this one...

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=8948&mode=ci

When you're not throwing over parking areas, you have tall weeds or a creek to contend with (left on #6 and down the middle of #7). Even the "open" holes of #1 and #9 are too close to have one go in a building...

When you're not throwing over parking areas, you have tall weeds or a creek to contend with (left on #6 and down the middle of #7). Even the "open" holes of #1 and #9 are too close to have one go in a building...

Hole distances shown in yards on these tee signs too.

Maybe it's a pattern. ;)

The hole #5 tee sign pic shows what someone thinks of the course. :D

Hole 2 - Springfield Park - Bloomingdale, IL: As you can see in the picture, there are other park activities directly in front of the tee. This is a permanent cornhole area with two sets of concrete "boards" that is maybe 60' in front of the tee. The "designers" are counting on disc golfers playing around rather than taking the straight shot. There are some young trees that might have been intended to shield the cornhole players from a Destroyer to the dome, but they will take years to mature and will still only provide a partial shield. The nuttiest thing about this hole is that the cornhole area went in at the same time as the dg course. This was all seemingly part of the master plan. :doh:

0c240e07_m.jpg

f673fefb.jpg

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3291&mode=ci

#8 - 495 ft Par 3!! I guess if you can throw up the embankment, over the two story building to cut off the corner, easy bird! :D

Hole 2 - Springfield Park - Bloomingdale, IL: As you can see in the picture, there are other park activities directly in front of the tee. This is a permanent cornhole area with two sets of concrete "boards" that is maybe 60' in front of the tee. The "designers" are counting on disc golfers playing around rather than taking the straight shot. There are some young trees that might have been intended to shield the cornhole players from a Destroyer to the dome, but they will take years to mature and will still only provide a partial shield. The nuttiest thing about this hole is that the cornhole area went in at the same time as the dg course. This was all seemingly part of the master plan. :doh:

0c240e07_m.jpg

f673fefb.jpg

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3291&mode=ci

Played Springfield semi-recently and luckily there was nobody at the park that day due to it being extremely cold and windy out which made for a very interesting (not fun) round.

Played Springfield semi-recently and luckily there was nobody at the park that day due to it being extremely cold and windy out which made for a very interesting (not fun) round.

Just looked at aerial photos of this course, it looks like they have sidewalks leading to each tee and basket, with small circles around each basket. Are those paved or gravel? Could this be the first ADA compliant DG course?

Just looked at aerial photos of this course, it looks like they have sidewalks leading to each tee and basket, with small circles around each basket. Are those paved or gravel? Could this be the first ADA compliant DG course?

I'm pretty sure a couple of baskets are on top of grass berms. Don't think it would be 100% playable for a disabled golfer.

I thought there already were a few ADA compliant courses out there, but no idea which ones.

ADA compliant, you say?
There's a 6 hole ADA course in the Brighton, Mi area. (Chilson Woods)
Other than it being flat and short, I couldn't see anything that made it ADA compliant. It's a pretty typical pitch and putt course.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6495
You guys are referring to the same course.

I wouldn't want to try to get a wheel chair through the grass on that "ADA" course.
I think the organization behind the ADA.gov might have a different take on what constitutes ADA accessible than the course designer does. :\

But there's no safety issue there.

Last edited:
Found out today that someone has already been hit by a disc at the course I mentioned in post #66. In fact, the signs the posted were the result of that incident, and we're only installed after there fact.

Obviously, designers should avoid holes that play across a walking path. But not all violations of that best practice are created equal.

Holes where the tee is close to the walking path make it much easier to avoid hitting pedestrians (but ideally, shorten the hole, so the path is behind the tee).

Look left. Look right. None coming... safe to throw. Someone coming? Wait a few seconds, then throw.

But holes where the path crosses the fairway just in front of that basket are way more hazardous IMO, because walkers aren't paying attention to what's happening 200-300 ft away. And if the DG'er doesn't happen to see someone on the path walking toward the basket they're throwing to (say the pedestrian is obscured by some trees when someone tees off), the disc is already halfway down the fairway before anyone realizes the danger.

May not matter what the player yells, if the walker has earbuds in just chilling to some tunes.

Normally, I'm a big advocate of being aware of your surroundings and taking personal responsibility. But I fully support the people just walking on a path, listening to music, being disengaged, specifically because that's what some people to to escape. People walking on the trail are exactly where they're supposed to be.

They shouldn't have to think about avoiding objects being thrown toward them. That's on idiot course designers.

throwing over a walking path is not a big deal at all. Even the most ignorant of disc golfers are not going to throw at a person walking by on the path right in front of them. A bigger problem is holes that play alongside a path rather than across it.

throwing over a walking path is not a big deal at all. Even the most ignorant of disc golfers are not going to throw at a person walking by on the path right in front of them. A bigger problem is holes that play alongside a path rather than across it.

"There's no way I'll ever reach that path."

*THWACKKKK!

This is how courses get pulled

While there's some truth truth to what you said, not every situation is equivalent.

While less than desirable, placing a tee so that a walking path is in just in front of it isn't completely horrible, because no one's gonna tee off while people are walking right in front of them.

However, placing a basket on the far side of a path that runs across a fairway is far more dangerous, especially if there are several trees between the tee and path that create blindspots from the tee. That makes it quite possible for a player to think the coast is clear, and throw their disc. Once it's in the air, it's not hard to imagine someone who was obscured by the trees to walk, skate, jog, ride... into the path of the shot.

I know irresponsibly and/or ignorantly designed courses when I see them. It's got to stop. In the long run, they will do more harm to the game, than they do good. The disc golf community needs to expect and do better. We know what can happen. We can't necessarily assume the people at Parks & Rec do, and we certainly can't count on the average citizen to.

Last edited:

Latest posts