• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dangerous Course

While there's some truth truth to what you said, not every situation is equivalent.

While less than desirable, placing a tee so that a walking path is in just in front of it isn't completely horrible, because no one's gonna tee off while people are walking right in front of them.

However, placing a basket on the far side of a path that runs across a fairway is far more dangerous, especially if there are several trees between the tee and path that create blindspots from the tee. That makes it quite possible for a player to think the coast is clear, and throw their disc. Once it's in the air, it's not hard to imagine someone who was obscured by the trees to walk, skate, jog, ride... into the path of the shot.

I know irresponsibly and/or ignorantly designed courses when I see them. It's got to stop. In the long run, they will do more harm to the game, than they do good. The disc golf community needs to expect and do better. We know what can happen. We can't necessarily assume the people at Parks & Rec do, and we certainly can't count on the average citizen to.

Do I hear a call to action?

Park manager: "Why is there a walking path right in front of the pitchers mound?"

Baseball field-installer: "While less than desirable, placing a pitchers mound so that a walking path is in just in front of it isn't completely horrible, because no one's gonna pitch while people are walking right in front of them."

Latest posts