• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dayton/Cincy

mreynolds24

Eagle Member
Just checking for some suggestions on courses to play in this area. We are playing next Friday/Saturday and are looking for anything good in Dayton/Cincy outside of what we have played or are going to play. The more difficult the better!

So far, on Friday in Dayton,we are definitely looking to play Handyman in Dayton, and possibly Englewood as that looks to be the next best. The rest of the courses look to be mostly open. Then possibly head back into Cincy if there's nothing else worth seeing. As far as Cincy, I would like to incorporate Osage Grove as one of our players hasn't seen it yet, and we have played and love Airy, Banklick, and Idlewild. We may throw those in if we don't get any good suggestions, but what else ha got?

Thanks in advance.

Handyman is as difficult as it gets!

Cabin Creek is also pretty good; but it's private and may not be available. Recommend it for sure though.

The other ones I played aren't that memorable....

(edit: concur on Cabin Creek, if open: it'll be cleaned up, but you'll need to call Midge)

You've already slated Handyman, and from the longs, that's the biggest challenge in the Dayton area, bar none. Next toughest, I might suggest Sycamore Trails up there. Then, if you're coming around the East side of Cincinnati to play Osage Grove, you'll be passing by Monroe on the way. It's not long, but is a pretty fun challenge. I'd invite you out to Williamsburg for our LoPar 39x5 tourney, but you sound like you're hitting courses instead. Mt. Airy, Idlewild, and Lincoln Ridge are obvious must plays if anyone in your party hasn't yet. Not much else on your route compares. The next challenge in the area might be Cedar Sentinels over in Indiana, but the bridge over there has traffic snarled, and it might be a course you want to check out when the leaves thin in the fall, anyway. There are about a half dozen other competition worthy courses in the SW Ohio Tri-state area, but this list is probably the cream of the crop. :thmbup:

Handyman near Dayton and Osage just NE of Cincy would be a great choice for you guys if not considering the Big 3 (Airy, Idlewild and Lincoln).

I thought Cabin Creek had been partially changed into a paint ball course. As in yeah the course still existed but the paint ball thing kind of swelled over and into the course. This eliminated some holes and made part of the course just unplayable.

If things have changed at cabin creek please, please, please let me know. I have always thought this was arguably the best course in the tri state area during its hey day. Period.

I thought Cabin Creek had been partially changed into a paint ball course. As in yeah the course still existed but the paint ball thing kind of swelled over and into the course. This eliminated some holes and made part of the course just unplayable.

If things have changed at cabin creek please, please, please let me know. I have always thought this was arguably the best course in the tri state area during its hey day. Period.

What you think is half correct. The paint ball is there but so is the original course. Go play it! :thmbup:

no holes were eliminated and it is very playable. it is just as it is in the pics here on this site: ie the paintball obstacles are there, but are fairway obstacles.

and in between Dayton and Cincy I would also recommend Monroe. it's a nice mix of open and tight with elevation changes.

Ok. I guess the last time I was out their a few plus years ago, about the time they were starting paintball it felt like the course had been invaded. Their large inflatable objects, walls, just **** everywhere. All for paintball.

It was all great if you came out to play paintball. And I totally understand their deciscion. They weren't making much money on DG. Go figure. But it felt like it totally distracted one from the actual course and made alot of holes just feel plain weird.

Again, I understand why the erkenbrechers put in the paintball to pay their land taxes. But from a disc golfers point of view it just totally changed the course.

Perhaps they have found a way to better blend the paintball with the existing course? The folks who have played it through the years would be able to see if any transitions have been made.

Ok. I guess the last time I was out their a few plus years ago, about the time they were starting paintball it felt like the course had been invaded. Their large inflatable objects, walls, just **** everywhere. All for paintball.

It was all great if you came out to play paintball. And I totally understand their deciscion. They weren't making much money on DG. Go figure. But it felt like it totally distracted one from the actual course and made alot of holes just feel plain weird.

Again, I understand why the erkenbrechers put in the paintball to pay their land taxes. But from a disc golfers point of view it just totally changed the course.

Perhaps they have found a way to better blend the paintball with the existing course? The folks who have played it through the years would be able to see if any transitions have been made.

You're not wrong about how it got at one point. Paint ball did invade the course but Midge and Bill fixed that.

(edit: concur on Cabin Creek, if open: it'll be cleaned up, but you'll need to call Midge)

You've already slated Handyman, and from the longs, that's the biggest challenge in the Dayton area, bar none. Next toughest, I might suggest Sycamore Trails up there. Then, if you're coming around the East side of Cincinnati to play Osage Grove, you'll be passing by Monroe on the way. It's not long, but is a pretty fun challenge. I'd invite you out to Williamsburg for our LoPar 39x5 tourney, but you sound like you're hitting courses instead. Mt. Airy, Idlewild, and Lincoln Ridge are obvious must plays if anyone in your party hasn't yet. Not much else on your route compares. The next challenge in the area might be Cedar Sentinels over in Indiana, but the bridge over there has traffic snarled, and it might be a course you want to check out when the leaves thin in the fall, anyway. There are about a half dozen other competition worthy courses in the SW Ohio Tri-state area, but this list is probably the cream of the crop. :thmbup:

Sycamore Trails was a pretty solid course. More variety than Englewood or Monroe. Handyman is indeed the best one up there. If I remember correctly HAH, Monroe, and Sycamore all have sweet hole 18 downhill shots :)

Latest posts