• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] DD3

Quick review of the new Cloud Breaker 2. I really loved the excellent combination of glide and stability it has. It has substantially more glide than the Cloud Breaker 1. It is much more friendly to lesser arms like myself. The closest comparison to it is a Color Glow DD3 that has similar flight characteristics. The plastic isn't as swirly as you would anticipate and has a touch less grip versus the Cloud Breaker 1. Both of these discs will get in to my bag and replace my 2nd run Cloud Breaker 1 as the CB 2 has more glide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VhlCIey-6E

I haven' thrown a Cg DD3, but overall I agree with your review. Stability is CB>CB2>DD3. The CB2 got me sneaky distance and was more consistent than my DD3's by a bit. Really solid disc.

This may be a stupid question, but here goes.... is there any difference at all between the Cloud Breaker and the Cloud Breaker 2 other than the stamp? Both discs are still embossed with "S LINE DD3" on the bottom.

I'm just wondering if introducing the Cloud Breaker 2 is merely an excuse to get people to splurge on another high end collector disc.

This may be a stupid question, but here goes.... is there any difference at all between the Cloud Breaker and the Cloud Breaker 2 other than the stamp? Both discs are still embossed with "S LINE DD3" on the bottom.

I'm just wondering if introducing the Cloud Breaker 2 is merely an excuse to get people to splurge on another high end collector disc.
As with all high end drivers, every run comes out a little different.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

As with every driver the Cb and Cb2 have quite a huge difference. The Cb2 has a more straight wing that makes it easier to throw far vs the CB1 that was really overstable. I have thrown both and the difference is night and day.

They DID come off the same mold, you know, but at different times and with different plastic mix. Seems like with better swirls this time, and the gospel seems to be that on average a little less OS than the CB1.

I dont really know what you mean. New run of a previously madly successful release that sold out like a million times already. Running more of those... Excuse? IDK, man. No different than with Sexton firebird 2015,2016,2017 etc. Is there a difference in flight? Yes. Was a modification made to adjust flight or is it just random variation of injection molding? Latter I would very much assume.

Cloudbreaker 2

Well, I got to throw a Cloudbreaker 2 yesterday. Here are my thoughts:

Disc is 175g.

Nice dome. My other Cloudbreaker is a lot flatter.

Pretty overstable, but with good glide. The Cloudbreaker 2 definitely wasn't turning. This disc needs to absolutely be MASSACRED for it to stay in the air. All my best throws were hard anny releases. If you force the Cloudbreaker 2 over it'll actually stay there pretty well for a while.

Good glide. The big dome on the Cloudbreaker 2 seemed to help with glide. For being pretty overstable I felt like it glided well and didn't fall out of the air prematurely.

Nice overall distance. I was able to touch 440' a couple times with the Cloudbreaker 2. This is further than I was able to throw the original Cloudbreaker.

Now, for some harder analysis....

Do I think there's any difference between the Cloudbreaker 1 and 2 other than the stamp? No. It's just that I got a flat Cloudbreaker 1 and a domey Cloudbreaker 2. The 2 actually reminds me of a standard S line DD3. It has little turn, but glides really well. The disc is pretty overstable and handles big rips with ease.

Would I recommend the Cloudbreaker 2 over a standard S line DD3? No, not unless you like the fancier plastic and paying at least $10 more for a disc. A regular S line DD3 will do everything a Cloudbreaker 1 or 2 does flight wise, but with a much cheaper price tag.

Final thoughts: The Cloudbreaker 2 is a nice driver. Its a bit stubborn, and takes a lot of arm to get any turn out of. Any throw I didn't get over on enough would immediately hyzer out. The Cloudbreaker 2 won't help you out at all distance-wise if you miss it even a little. When you hit the disc well you get rewarded with surprisingly nice glide and big distance. The Cloudbreaker 2 reminds me of pretty much any other DD3 or beefy star Destroyer. Its a decent flier, but I don't feel like it covers any new ground other than having cool, swirly plastic and a different stamp.

Would I recommend the Cloudbreaker 2 over a standard S line DD3? No, not unless you like the fancier plastic and paying at least $10 more for a disc. A regular S line DD3 will do everything a Cloudbreaker 1 or 2 does flight wise, but with a much cheaper price tag.

nice, sounds like ill be picking up a stock s line dd3 then

Picked up a used S-line DD3. 165g. I've never handled one before. This one is flat on top and middle of the road PLH, with shoulders more rounded than I've seen in pictures. It's pretty stable for my arm. I can fight it on a little anny to get out near Wraiths and Corvettes, but … meh. I wanted to try one out before I bought any new production, so I probably won't buy a new one.

Picked up a used S-line DD3. 165g. I've never handled one before. This one is flat on top and middle of the road PLH, with shoulders more rounded than I've seen in pictures. It's pretty stable for my arm. I can fight it on a little anny to get out near Wraiths and Corvettes, but … meh. I wanted to try one out before I bought any new production, so I probably won't buy a new one.

The lighter DD3s are simply.... weird. They're made of that crappy, blizzardy type plastic and have a rough texture.

They fly surprisingly overstable for being so light.

I'm not really impressed with them either. Heavier DD3s perform better.

I don't like the flat DD3s either. No glide and lots of beef.

The lighter DD3s are simply.... weird. They're made of that crappy, blizzardy type plastic and have a rough texture.

They fly surprisingly overstable for being so light.

I'm not really impressed with them either. Heavier DD3s perform better.

I don't like the flat DD3s either. No glide and lots of beef.

Blizzardy S-line plastic?

Star plastic less than full weight has the blizzard microbubble looking things in the rim, so it feels a little rougher in the hand and gets beat up faster. Flight seems unaffected.

I recently picked up two 165g Destroyers (basically DD3s). Same blizzard type plastic on the rim. Massive pop-top dome, this picture doesn't do it justice. Even domier than the domiest Calvin Halo Destroyer I have. The dome is so massive it makes the top look like a Discmania anhyzer top ala DD3 with the two tiers and a beak-shaped end. Even more interesting is the wing is completely flat, showing no signs of being concave or convex-- basically a Destroyer L. Flies amazing. Very long, glidey and straight, then a dependable Destroyer dump at the end. Immediately longer than the full weight Destroyers I bought that have modest dome and a more conventional concave wing. Will beat in to a bomber.

xTCTVd4.jpg

Last edited:
It turns out that what I bought used, advertised 165g… is actually penned 175g. I took a pic of the faded digits and adjusted different filters until I could read it. No bubbles.